“Good resort but don't expect a Beach” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Best Western Coral Beach Hotel

Best Western Coral Beach Hotel
Ranked #13 of 103 Hotels in Dar es Salaam
Ennis, Ireland
“Good resort but don't expect a Beach”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2012

Very pleasant hotel with wonderful ocean views across the bay with all the yachts. Fine swimming pool (why does it take 35 minutes to get us towels?) and good food beside the ocean (but why oh why have a big tomato ketchup bottle on every table and sent out with every room service meal? This destroys the sense of fine dining and becomes a low-class caff). Rooms in the new wing are spacious and well-ewquipped (oddly positioned TV) and some - not all - have uninterrupted ocean views. Good buffet breakfast and pleasant short walks within the grounds, but don't expect a beach as such. Short taxi ride to shops and other restsaurants. About 15 minutes into Dar centre (60+ at rush hours). Arthur at Reception can solve most problems.

Room Tip: Look at more than one room and negotiate. Strike a balance between a great view and interior facilit...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
BWCoralBeach-Dar, General Manager at Best Western Coral Beach Hotel, responded to this review, November 1, 2012
Dear Sir or Madam,
as the newly appointed General Manager, I like to express my most sincere thanks and appreciation for your valued feedback. I have duly noted your positive feedback and the few concerns and can assure you that I will look into the matter at hand and do the necessary. The Towels are already waiting for you at the Pool and we look forward welcoming you back soon to the Best Western Coral Beach Hotel in Dar es Salaam.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (119)
Buffalo
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 19, 2012

They lied to us about our room rate and would not back down. The place is OK but not for the money. The restaurant food is hit and miss. Some quite good, some inedible. There is no beach as advertised and the pool is very small. We will not be returning.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Dear Sir,
as the newly appointed General Manager effective today, I have read your valued feedback and would like to express my appreciation for your detailed response. I will look into the matter and will attempt to correspond to you directly as I like to assure you that I take any response, especially one such as yours, very serious and see it as an inspiration to ensure that on your hopeful return you will have positive memories that will last a lifetime. Kind regards.
uk
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 19, 2012

After over 24 hours of travelling and arriving at 9pm at night you do not expect your pre booked hotel to not be available and they pack you off to some cheaper alternative without sea view a few miles down the road but this is what we experienced and were given conflicting reasons as to why. On this basis you would expect the manager to apologise in person but no and instead left it to his staff to face the music.

Despite this this hotel is actual very good with views over the sea and rooms, which in the new wing are very spacous and well equiped. Obviously the higher your room the better the view. The staff are enthusiastic and charming. There is lanscaping work going on in the gardens and beach area but his did not impact upon our enjoyment. The bar in the garden has 3 screens showing most major sport vents live and the evening terrace restaurant is a wonderful relaxing setting.

The hotel like for other arranged our airport pick up and this was very effiecent and there are taxis costing £2 to get you to the Slipway area to take day trips to the outlying island,

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Sir and Madam,
effective today I joined the Hotel as General Manager and one of my first actions is to view the valued feedback of our esteemed guests. I appreciate your feedback and can assure you that I will look into the matter at hand. Again, thank you and I look forward welcoming you back to the Best Western Coral Beach Hotel in Dar es Salaam.
Amman, Jordan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2012

This is an excellent choice of hotels in Dar Es Salam. The rooms are spacious, clean and everything works. The bathrooms are also large and well equipped. The staff are well trained and accommodating. The outside beach front restaurant if it is not raining is charming. The breakfasts is provided buffet style and has a wide range of offerings including custom made eggs on the spot. In the evening it is quiet which is very nice. There are other hotels like the Slipway just down the street with more social ambiance and activity if this is what you want. Since I was there for a Danida conference and got a discounted rate, the value for money was excellent. Veronica manning the reservation desk is also excellent. I highly recommend this well run hotel, that has a clean pool, nice workout gym and fast wireless internet everywhere. The improvement that could be done is with the business center which still is limited. I would certainly stay there again.

Room Tip: The higher you go the better the view. Having a room with a balcony is a plus
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Mumbai (Bombay), India
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2012

A great option to stay in Dar and would definitely stay again.

It doesn't really have a beach, but for me that was not important at all. My room had an amazing view - sunsets were incredible.

Hotel arranged for a taxi to pick me up at the airport. The guy was great and I ended up hiring him for 4 days.

Food and the bar area was amazing - looking straight out over the ocean. So relaxing at the end of the day, with fantastic service. All of the staff are a credit to the Best Western.

Breakfast was ok - although all I need an omelette and 6 coffees and I'm happy.

Room was huge - great bathroom and very clean. Hotel has complimentary WIFI which is always a winner in my book.

There is a small shopping centre about a 1km walk from the Best Western. Was very easy to get to for supplies.

I had a day spare, so I decided to take the ferry across to Zanzibar for the day. Couldn't recommend this enough if you have time - although you probably wont want to leave.

Room Tip: Sea-facing!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Washington D.C.
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 14, 2012

I have traveled to Tanzania several times on business, and at the end of my trip I like to spend a weekend someplace nice and relaxing. There were many good things about this hotel (excellent breakfast, restaurant staff were exceptional, guest rooms were very comfortable, gym was great, reservation was correct), but also some areas that need improvement. The main problem, and the reason I would NEVER stay here again, is that I came to this hotel because it says on the hotel's website that it has a "private beach". This is a joke. The "beach" area is littered with debris and it's not even possible to sit on it. It's very ugly and cannot be utilized. When I asked the front desk staff about it, even the man working there laughed and said they didn't really have a beach. But this was the whole reason I selected this hotel. I could have stayed at other hotels in the areas that actually do have beaches! This hotel is falsely advertising to the point of being unethical in its business practices, and the front desk person didn't even care. They just told me that I could pay to travel to a beach some places else!

Some other minor problems:
1. check-out took me an hour because neither of the credit card machines were working and they had to eventually charge my card online (I was going to the airport, so this was not ideal).
2. I only stayed there 3 days but on the 2nd day they made me switch rooms to a smaller room (without a bath-tub, which I had been looking forward to using)- they said the first room needed plumbing maintenance. It was very inconvenient to move all my things and they didn't even offer me any compensation (I expected at least a free meal or something for the trouble). 3. The new room they moved me to had ants in the bathroom. By the time I left they were also all over the minibar area. I didn't bother to report it because getting housekeeping to even give me new towels was incredibly hard- like asking them to do their job was some huge inconvenience for them.
4. One day I left the "please clean room" sign on my door in the morning and when I came back in the late afternoon it was not cleaned. I was the only one who had that sign on my door and there aren't that many rooms per floor...so why wasn't my room cleaned in 6 hours?
5. Finally, I asked the front desk worker to add my rewards number to my account, but he told me that he couldn't do it until I checked out. I travel enough to be real skeptical about that claim....and when I checked out I was dealing with trying to pay for an hour so I didn't even bother to ask again since I was late for my flight by then.

I've spent enough time in Tanzania to know that things never run smoothly, but this is a lot of problems for a 3 day stay somewhere, especially considering the price I was paying. The "beach" not really existing is entirely unacceptable. The other problems could happen anywhere, but since they ALL happened here, in a 3 day span, I didn't really enjoy my vacation in the end. I have stayed at better hotels in Dar.

One last thing- the price they are charging for bottled water is so outrageous that I literally took a rickshaw to go buy water someplace else (again eating into my vacation time). They give you 2 tiny free ones/day, but that is not nearly enough, so you are stuck paying 500% too much for water at all you meals. That's so incredibly outrageous and insulting that I took a rickshaw to a store, bought some water, and took my own water to my meals from then on.

Room Tip: I paid extra to get a room with a view over the bay (it's not really on the Ocean, by the way, i...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Laura_Meek
BWCoralBeach-Dar, Front Office Manager at Best Western Coral Beach Hotel, responded to this review, September 29, 2012
Dear Guest,
Warm Greetings from Best Western Coral Beach Hotel! Thank you for taking time out from your busy schedule and providing us with your feedback.
We are extremely happy to hear that you found some of services to be of high standards, such as our breakfast, restaurant staff, gym facilities and guest bed rooms.
In addressing your concern with regards to our hotel not having a private beach, this is not meant to be an excuse but a brief explanation, that we are currently undergoing rehabilitation of our seafront after it was destroyed due years of erosion. We hope to resolve the matter in the near future with the help of local authorities. We apologize for not updating the information on our website on the status of the project.
Extremely sorry for that please give us another chance to serve you again I am sure you will be appreciate of property once all renovations are completed.

We have taken your feedback very seriously and have raised the issue with the relevant departments to ensure such issues are handled more efficiently. I can assure you that this is not typical of our services and otherwise high standards we aim to achieve.
As per the BW reward point, our receptionists have been trained to issue points only on check out due to the high number of amendments most of our guests make by extending their stays. This has been done to ensure our guests get points for the full portion on their stay.
I hope that the next time you are in our beautiful city of Dar es Salaam, you will consider staying with us again and meeting me personally while you are on the property and I assure you we will regain your confidence in our property and service.

Thank you again for your feedback and sharing your experience at BEST WESTERN Coral Beach Hotel.

With best regards,
Hemant Kr.
Front Office Manger
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2012

We had started our trip with 4 days in the Serena in Dar and, after 10 days out of town, returned to spend more time in Dar, this time at the Best Western Coral Beach. It was absolutely fantastic. Great room with an outstanding view. Friendly staff and the location cannot be beaten. Admittedly, we were not heading into town every day to go to meetings, and spent a lot of time hanging around the pool, but for a relaxing time in Dar, away from all the hustle and bustle, this hotel cannot be beaten.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of the bay.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family