“Highly Recommended”

Southern Sun Dar es Salaam
Ranked #2 of 98 Hotels in Dar es Salaam
Reviewed November 28, 2010

I stayed at the Southern Sun Hotel in Dar es Salaam for nearly 3 x weeks in November 2010. I found all the staff very friendly and professional and the General Manager, Adam Fuller very helpful. He arranged delivery of local mobile phones for us to help us kick start our visit and his weekly networking parties every Wednesday, are great ways of meeting others also doing business in Tanzania.

If you are travelling on you own then the staff at this hotel will make you feel most welcome.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled on business
2  Thank SteveCameron
AdamGMSouthernSunDSM, General Manager at Southern Sun Dar es Salaam, responded to this reviewResponded December 6, 2010

Dear Steve
Thanks for taking the time to post your comments here. My team appreciates your feedback and I am delighted that in some small way we were able take some stress out of your visit to Tanzania. We all look forward to welocoming you back soon. Regards

Reviewed November 8, 2010

I have just returned from living for the past 10 months at the Southern Sun in Dar es Salaam and cannot adequately express my gratitude to the GM Adam Fuller and his superb team for their care and concern during my stay. Its not easy adjusting to a new environment or being comfortable in a hotel for 300 days, the team in DAR are as true as the advert proclaims ... the friendliest hotel in town!! You guys Rock and i would recommend you over any other hotel in DAR to anyone anyday!! Thank you to each of you for your friendship and care for your love and attention to detail for your warm embrace and loving reception. Above all Thank you for giving me a Home away from Home!

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank nomadicscorpio
AdamGMSouthernSunDSM, General Manager at Southern Sun Dar es Salaam, responded to this reviewResponded November 9, 2010

Dear Nomadicscorpio
Staying in any hotel for such an extended period is bound to test anyones sanity and I am delighted that we managed to maintain yours over the better part of a year. I think my guys like to pay individual attention, and I am glad it has paid off in your case. I will be sharing this with my team who take great joy in positive feedback!
Asante and hope we get to see you again soon

Reviewed November 8, 2010

We chose to book all of our clients this season into the SOUTHERN SUN HOTEL because of its location in central Dar es Salaam. Our clients have all arrived ex KLM at 10 pm and we did not want the burden of a long drive to a hotel in the middle of the night, or of a long drive back to the airport the following morning for their charter flight to the Selous. The Southern Sun is 20 minutes from the airport at this time of night, and 30 minutes at 9:30 am in the morning.
WITHOUT EXCEPTION every one of our clients has thanked us for this reservation. They have commented that the hotel is pristinely clean, attractively decorated and generally well run, etc, but it is the friendly staff, the service and the personal attention to detail that they have all raved about. It has been the perfect short stopover. The "power showers" have received special mention, as have the wonderful breakfasts.
We have also had clients spending a couple of days longer to be able to do some shopping and see Dar, and again, it has been the Southern Sun Hotel staff that they have complimented extravagantly. Helpful, friendly, informative, always ready to go the extra mile.
We are currently booking our safaris for next season and will definitely be using the Southern Sun Hotel for every one of our guests again.
As one of our clients said: "The Southern Sun Hotel in Dar is better than the Sandton Hotel in Johannesburg," (where he had recently stayed).
Thanks to the management and staff of Southern Sun Dar es Salaam for the fantastic treatment all of our guests received.
Lynn, ABC, Tanzania

• Stayed: November 2010
1  Thank LynnABC
AdamGMSouthernSunDSM, Manager at Southern Sun Dar es Salaam, responded to this reviewResponded November 9, 2010

Dear LynABC
I am so happy that we are able to look after your clients and meet their expectations! Like you we are really keen that tourists to Tanzania have a magical experience, our role is a small one in the service chain,and when it comes together our entire country benefits! I will be passing on your kind comments to my guys who relish in positive feedback. Asante sana its been great doing biz with you and all the best!
adam

Reviewed October 28, 2010

It’s not often these days that one has the pleasure of writing a complimentary letter about a hotel, however, I am pleased to say that this is certainly one of those times.

To cut a long story short, my Son was in Zanzibar last weekend and he had all of his possessions stolen, his Passport, his air tickets, his camera, clothes and even his bag, he was literally left with nothing. Due to this situation, I had to get him to the SA High Commission in Dar es Salaam to apply for emergency travel documents and when I spoke to them and asked them about nearby accommodation, they recommended the Southern Sun Dar es Salaam and I am so grateful that they did.

I contacted the GM of Southern Sun Dar es Salaam - Adam Fuller who is undoubtedly one of the most professional, polite and accommodating human beings I have ever had the pleasure of dealing with. As you can imagine, I was extremely worried about my Son, but after speaking to Adam, who arranged a room at a moments notice,I was totally at peace that he would be safe once he arrived at the hotel. Adam went out of his way to be off assistance, he organised for my Son to be collected from the Ferry, assisted me with the receiving and printing out of documentation he needed for the High Commission and even copied my emails to the South African High Commission to see if they could be of assistance. Over and above this, he organised transport for him to the Embassy and Adam’s contacts kindly expedited the application process to ensure that his emergency travel documents were issued in record time. In times of crisis, there is nothing better for a Mother than to find a helping hand and someone who cares to assist your child and it was not Adam's job to do what he did, he just helped because he is a caring person and for this I am very grateful.

To say that I am overwhelmed by Adam’s kindness is an understatement and I would like to pass on my sincere thanks to him for all of his support. Not only has this experience renewed my faith in humanity, but it has also confirmed that Southern Sun is more than a hotel group, it actually employs people who really care about their customers.

Thank you to Adam and Southern Sun for turning what has been a traumatic experience for myself and my Son into a story with a happy ending.

LYNN BAKER
JOHANNESBURG, SOUTH AFRICA

Stayed: October 2010, traveled solo
1  Thank LynnBaker
AdamGMSouthernSunDSM, General Manager at Southern Sun Dar es Salaam, responded to this reviewResponded October 28, 2010

Dear Lynn, Thanks for your kind words, they really weren’t necessary .At Southern Sun we place a very high priority on ensuring our guests have access to a very safe and secure environment .Africa is a fun and exciting continent to visit, but like anyplace in the world there are risks attached to a visit. We at Southern Sun, being Africans, like to think we understand this ,and that when travellers experience difficulties we will be there to offer whatever support and resources we have to get things back on track. Delighted that it worked out in your Sons case, and I hope he gets to continue his African adventure soon!

Reviewed October 28, 2010

Southern Sun Dar is a great place to stay. As soon as you walk in you can relax. The service is the better than any other hotel in Dar and it's close to town - which is very convenient workwise. Would recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank alibush

Dear alibush, Thanks for your kind words, I am delighted we met your expectations! My team looks forward to welcoming you back to the Sun.

Reviewed October 26, 2010

Have used the hotel several times over the last few years (even when it was the HI-Dar), and have found the place always neat and ready, even when it was very busy and full with business and political delegations, they did their best to accomodate my request for a smoke free room, etc. It definitely receives a "Reccomend" from me!

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled on business
AdamGMSouthernSunDSM, General Manager at Southern Sun Dar es Salaam, responded to this reviewResponded October 27, 2010

Dear Mr Kru2010
Thanks so much for your kind words, I am delighted that our team is continues to take good care of you on your business trips to Dar. Your loyalty is really appreciated. Compliments like yours go a long way in encouraging the team to strive for even higher standards of care and service. Kind Regards

Reviewed October 5, 2010

Having stayed at another Southern Sun hotel (the Al Manzil in Dubai) I was expecting the same levels of friendlines, professionalism and general comfort.
I was sooooooo wrong. I had booked online through their website and on arrival at the hotel check in took forever as they couldn't find my reservation. When it was eventually found, all the details on the form were wrong.
The room itself was ok - nothing special and lacked the basics I would expect to find - simple things like a sewing kit, shower caps and a room service menu. I phoned down for the menu which they took a while getting to me - not that there was much on it.
When I did eventually decide to order nobody answered the phone on the several times I tried and eventually had to go through reception.
Breakfast was included in the price but again limited choices unless pasta and rice are the sort of thing you enjoy for breakfast.

The day before I was due to check out there seemed to be some confusion as staff thought I was checking out that day - had they checked the original reservation this shouldn't have been an issue.

Overall it was very disappointing, there was no personalised service as I have come to expect with Sothern Sun and the rooms could certainly do with a revamp.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled solo
AdamGMSouthernSunDSM, General Manager at Southern Sun Dar es Salaam, responded to this reviewResponded October 7, 2010

Dear Katscamel

Thanks so much for taking the time to review our hotel! I really do appreciate your highly critical comments. Your experience will be shared with my team as a valuable learning experience. Since you cannot be expected to pay for such a disappointing stay we would be very happy to offer you a full refund for your entire stay with us, including the transfers. Please contact me on my email adamf@southernsun.co.tz so we can make this happen.

For the benefit of other readers please be assured of the following:

We have a manager on duty 24 hours a day and I am always contactable by phone if I am not personally on the property, I am confident that my team can handle most issues that might occur.

We have a fully stocked selection of those items that guests sometimes, need or forget, such as sewing kits shower caps etc, we don’t like to clutter our rooms with such items but draw our guests attention to their availability in our service directory

Our In Room Dining menu is a full replica of our A la carte menu with over 50 items listed. It is available 24 hours a day , though we do limit the selection after midnight.

Frequent users of our hotel will know that our breakfast offering is indeed very extensive and we are confident that our selection of over 60 items in addition to the rice and pasta mentioned in this review more than meets our international customers needs. Whilst we are not in the habit of self promotion we are quietly confident that we offer one of the best breakfasts in town.

We would like to investigate the issue of an inaccurate reservation, since this reviewer appears to have made the reservation via our website, based on input made by the person making the reservation. The output at our end from reservations made in this way would be a mirror of the input data. Inaccurate reservations would normally only happen with voice bookings where call quality might hamper our res agents. But we do place a very high value on reservation accuracy from all sources for obvious reasons.