“Several more excellent stays”

Southern Sun Dar es Salaam
Ranked #2 of 98 Hotels in Dar es Salaam
Reviewed November 6, 2012

I have to say Southern Sun is a good old faithful, never lets you down. Apart from the hotel having a great location, clean and very comfortable rooms, awesome pool and garden area, the staff are just wonderful and make the experience. After staying so many times you become a regular known by name, always greeted with big smiles and know where you have come from and it is always so welcoming.

Their new chef is doing wonders and always look forward to what is new and special when I return.

Looking forward to my next return!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank AfricanDayDreamer
AdamGMSouthernSunDSM, General Manager at Southern Sun Dar es Salaam, responded to this reviewResponded November 8, 2012

Dear AfricanDay Dreamer!

Thanks once again for giving us such a kind review! Whilst we love all our customers, it is true that we really do enjoy you guys like you that are so loyal and keep returning for more!

Joe will be very pleased that his culinary creations are working so well, I think he has really settled into Tanzania well. One of the weeks highlights for me is our weekly testing of the following weeks specials! Yummy!

Again many thanks for the feedback

Reviewed November 4, 2012

I stayed on business for 33 days in September and October 2012. That's a long time! The staff took care of me like I was family. They get to know the guests quickly and provide great service. That's the hotel staff (front desk and bell staff), the housekeeping staff, the dining room folks, (and the bartenders are great.) Oh, and the management are super as well. This is a small hotel, all things considered, but very homey and comfortable. The lobby is a great place to sit and wait for a client, ... or just to wait.

The Southern Sun is located within an easy walk to nearly all the Embassys (the US Embassy, the French and a couple of others are a short drive away), and nearly all of the significant Government of Tanzania Offices. The Botanical Garden is next door (through a common gate via your hotel door card), the Harbor about four blocks and the Indian Ocean two blocks.

The rooms are not overly spacious, but mine was sufficient for me to work, relax, and sleep in comfort. They are well appointed with nice roomy baths. Coffee/tea in the room. Internet is generally good, but a lot of Skyping goes on after 5:00 PM so it slows down a lot. Call the spouse early! The business center is a bit pricey but the staff are pretty good and very friendly. The generator keeps power going 24/7 without a problem.

The restaurant has great food. I ate there nearly every meal for the five weeks I stayed. I repeated a few, but the selection is good and for a shorter stay, you can repeat only those selections you really like. Breakfast (included in the room) is fantastic. I eat very little for breakfast, but the selection is outstanding.

Three tips:
1.) Get a room facing the pool/Botanical Garden, or try for an Ocean view from the upper floors.
2.) The hotel will call a car for you rather than a taxi - the drivers are waiting across the street - but you need to negotiate the price. Take a look in "what's happening in Dar" - the free ad mag. It gives you an idea of what an honest taxi will charge. Try to get that rate from the drivers. They know you are staying in a very nice hotel. On the flip side, they are honest and safe! And they will wait an hour or two to bring you back from wherever you need to go.
3.) If you get a chance to go to Adam's Wednesday night cocktail bash, don't miss the opportunity. Great to meet other guests, and even some local folks, who might just be in your line of work.

I'll be back in December. I have a reservation already.

Room Tip: Get a room facing the pool/Botanical Garden, or try for an Ocean view from the upper floors.

Hi Dandeja,
Wow what a great review! Thanks I really appreciate the time you have taken to write such a comprehensive report on our Hotel. I fully endorse all your tips and hints! the internet speed is a hassle we are looking at ways we can increase the bandwidth available to each user so that you are not impacted by peak usage times. Glad you enjoyed the cocktails, they have become an institution here and an event that we all look forward to! I will pass on your compliments to my team I know they love positive endorsement for all their hard work. Thanks for your patience too, Staying away from Home for such a long time isn't easy !

Reviewed October 26, 2012

I stayed here for 5 nights on business. Amazing service from staff throughout the hotel - staff were obviously well trained and nothing was too much trouble. The food in the restaurant was seriously first class - a varied menu, large portions and plenty of vegetarian options. The rooms were not gigantic but were well laid out, with homemade biscuits. I requested firmer pillows and they were sent up by housekeeping in a matter of minutes. Made use of the pool - decent length and well kept. The goodie bag on arrival was a lovely touch that I very much appreciated.

Thanks very much! I will certainly use the hotel next time I am in Dar.

Dear Anne W
Thanks for taking the time to review our hotel! I am delighted , as are my staff that you enjoyed your time with us. I know the Chef will be chuffed that you enjoyed his offering. I am also happy that the Ladies Goody bag did the trick. Travelling as a single lady in Africa can be a challenge and our aim to to make your trips as stress free as is possible.
Hope to see you back soon
Regards

Reviewed October 26, 2012

My experience of this hotel is limited to times when I went there for meetings and business lunches/dinners. So, I won't comment on rooms. This is one of my favorite places to go. And I have had always a pleasant experience with staff, service, food and the ambiance.

I am fond in particular of Baraza restaurant, rightly being called so, as I like to sit on 'baraza' rather than on the chairs. It makes me want to play 'bao' instead of eating!

Last time I was there we had a business dinner, which was very well prepared by the staff, we were given a special table where we could talk freely and enjoy our meal. Waiters were attentive but not obtrusive, making for a efficient service at the table. I liked that.

The hotel lobby is also a nice place to sit and wait for friends to arrive or just to sit comfortably and talk with your partners.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends

Dear WojciechAK!
Thanks for your kind review! I am delighted that you enjoy using our facilities! You are always most welcome and hopefully one of these days you will get to stay with us!

Reviewed October 20, 2012

Southern Sun Dar es Salaam offers a best atmosphere for business travelers. The hotel is very clean, Baraza restaurant offers the bet curries and breakfast is excellent. It's location is perfect an he area is quiet. Not for leisure because the beach is not in a good condition but the hotel is perfect.

Room Tip: I enjoy the peaceful environment on the fifth floor
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
AdamGMSouthernSunDSM, General Manager at Southern Sun Dar es Salaam, responded to this reviewResponded October 25, 2012

Thanks Mavuso74 for a great review! You are correct about our nearby beach, BUT we do have some stunning beaches just across the harbour mouth, next time you have time to spare my team will gladly show you the way! Joe will be delighted that you enjoyed his curries and breakfast!
Hope to see you again soon

Reviewed October 15, 2012

We had spent 14 days on safari in Kenya and Tanzania and had to stop over in Dar before we could fly back to J'Burg.
The drive from the airport took quite a while but on arrival were greetewd at the hotel like long lost friends.
We were offred a refreshing drink and then given our room keys. The room was great with aircondtion set a comfortable temperature.
We were leaving very early next morning so went down to the restuarant below. The food was wonderful the service good and the price resonable.
Great place to stay only wished we had longer.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank horse6633

Dear horse633,
I am delighted that you enjoyed your safari in East Africa and that we were able to end it on a high note! I hope you have a chance to revisit our area again sometime

Reviewed October 15, 2012

Being in Dar for over 10 years now in the hospitality industry, I must give big thumbs up to Adam and his team. I am delighted to see that there is still a personal touch between management and Hotel guests. The atmosphere and ambiance tells you that you home and that you will be taken care of.
Southern Sun will always be my afternoon stop whenever I have to be in the city. Presentation and flavor of food is spot on- congratulations to Joe!
Everybody who lives/work in Tanzania will agree that the biggest challenge is consistency and Southern Sun is a fantastic example to all Hotels in Dar that this can be achieved.
I am sure that I will have more happy moments here!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Travelindar1973

Dear Travelindar 1973
Thanks for your feedback, As you point out consistency, and friendly service have been our greatest assets over the years and I am glad we have not slipped, despite aging gracefully! Thanks for appreciating Joe's input as well, it is a pleasure having a great Chef like Joe on our team!
See you again soon