We stayed here for one night only en route from South Africa to the Selous Game Reserve. The hotel is modern, clean and comfortable. The rooms were adequate, with comfortable beds and hot showers. We had some room service sandwiches, which were fine. Our arrival was dealt with effectively, efficiently and cheerfully.
But - breakfast was very disappointing. As we had to leave at 6.30am, we made an effort to be up at 5.15 in order to have a good breakfast before a morning's travel. We wish we hadn't bothered. The buffet was distinctly lacklustre, the hot plate was not hot enough to keep the food warm - so it was inedible (lukewarm sausage, cold eggs, no bacon at all), and they even managed to bring me a pot of stone cold tea (freshly made, a nice new tea bag in a pot of cold water, not even tea that had been made hot and gone cold). There was minimal choice of fresh fruit or indeed anything else cold. To be fair, the tea was changed when I complained, but the staff must have been aware that we weren't happy (we were the only people in a huge dining room), and did nothing to help. I'm fairly sure we also had to ask for something else to be restocked (something basic like more bread for toast, or fruit juice maybe), which is ridiculous in an empty dining room that early in the morning - there were more staff than guests.
We did complain at reception when we left, and our comments were met sympathetically, but it was all a bit too late then, we felt disgruntled and grumpy from an early start and basically no breakfast. The children were especially annoyed. This fell far short of any other breakfast we had in Africa, including ones in the bush miles from anywhere - and this was in Tanzania's capital city.
To be honest, this was only one morning, and may have been a blip, so we would probably try this hotel again, but would expect more from one of this (supposed) standard - consistent high standards are key and blips on this scale should not happen. Due to our short stay, we didn't have a chance to try the pool or have an evening meal in the restaurant, maybe those things would have helped us feel more positive about the hotel. The staff at reception were charming, more than most of the other places we stayed in Africa!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Southern Sun Dar-Es-Salaam offers the best of all worlds with excellent facilities and within walking distance of the city centre. It is situated in a quiet part of town, close to the sea, next door to the Botanical Gardens and numerous diplomatic missions. The Hotel was recently awarded Silver status by the Heritage Environmental rating program in recognition of our commitment to reducing the Hotels environmental impact. A free Wi-Fi service is offered throughout the building. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Cancelon, Hotwire, Travelocity, HRS, Priceline, Cheap Tickets, TripOnline SA, HotelQuickly and Hotel.de so you can book your Southern Sun Dar es Salaam reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Southern Sun Dar Es Salaam Hotel Dar Es Salaam
- Holiday Inn Dar Es Salaam