“Oasis in Dar es Salaam”

Southern Sun Dar es Salaam
Ranked #2 of 98 Hotels in Dar es Salaam
Reviewed September 9, 2011

We stayed at the Southern Sun fort two nights at the beginning of July on our home from Zanzibar. It was a real pleasure to walk through the hotels doors to be met by friendly faces and an ice cold drink after a nightmare taxi ride from the airport into the centre. We were on holiday as part of our wedding anniversary and the hotel treated us amazingly well - upgraded room, fresh flowers and a bottle of bubbly.
We ended up spending most of our time in the hotel as Dar had little to offer. The food was excellent and ambience of the hotel was very good. We were frequnelty asked by staff if everything was ok and the head chef was particularly attentive and chatty. Breakfast was especially good and very early on Sunday morning (which was great as we had an early flight back to London).
Our room was very nice and had a comfortable bed and good bathroom.
My only gripe was the lack of transfers to the airport (these had to be booked through the business centre and not the hotel). We pre-paid our transfer and it turned out that we got the wrong driver who hadn't been paid. The hotel should really take ownership of the process or offer a shuttle service.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank welshwaspy
AdamGMSouthernSunDSM, General Manager at Southern Sun Dar es Salaam, responded to this reviewResponded September 15, 2011

Dear Welshwasp, I really appreciate that you have taken the time to share your comments on Trip. I am delighted that you both had a magic anniversary and wish that you have many more. Sorry about the transfer problems, whilst this is an outsourced service we still like to take ownership of it. I will be sharing your concerns with my team and that of the company responsible so that we can improve the reliabilty of the transfers.
Once again thanks for your kind comments!

Reviewed September 8, 2011

I have just recently had my 4th or 5th stay at Southern Sun and it is definitely my favourite spot in Dar. The staff are really welcoming and friendly and I always get such a wonderful "welcome back" and I love that everything is so organised when I am checking in!! The rooms are clean and very comfortable, I just love the pillows - it is like sleeping on little cloud puffs!! They have an excellent breakfast with a bit of everything for everyone and nothing is too much trouble. At the moment they have a Butter Prawn and Chicken Curry which is to die for, I had it 3 times in the 4 days I was there!! The bathroom is lovely and has great amenities and a decent shower. There is a lovely, lush green, pool area which is like a little oasis in the busy city.

I have stayed in many Dar hotels but I would have to say Southern Sun is an excellent choice and is always my home away from home when I am in Dar. It is great value for money and you can tell that it is a very well managed hotel.

Thanks again to Adam and his team and look forward to returning next time!!!!!

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank AfricanDayDreamer
AdamGMSouthernSunDSM, General Manager at Southern Sun Dar es Salaam, responded to this reviewResponded September 9, 2011

Dear African Day Dreamer! I am so happy we continue to delight you on your trips to Dar. Thanks so much for your comprehensive review as well. My staff really get a kick from positive feedback, I think it makes what is sometimes a thankless task more worthwhile, and reminds us why we joined this Industry. I also enjoyed the curry, but not sure I could have eaten it as often as you did! Scot our chef will be very chuffed.

Reviewed September 5, 2011

I travel to Dar es Salaam on average twice a year for business and I will not stay at any other hotel. Price, Rooms, Service and Facilities are all excellent. Thank you Southern Sun for making my business trips a bit more enjoyable.

1  Thank Vrystaater

Dear Vrystaater. Hey thanks for your kind words! Much appreciated by all here in the Sun! I hope we dont have to wait too long for your return.

Reviewed September 3, 2011

In general a nice hotel but obviously located right near a nightclub or function venue of some sort. Window shaking music went on until late hours making sleep impossible. Eventually (around midnight) got moved to a room on the other side of the hotel which was a little quieter. The staff are fantastic and every other aspect of my stay was decent/good. However I value peace and quiet when I travel and this was NOT peaceful.

• Stayed: September 2011
1  Thank Anjagr
AdamGMSouthernSunDSM, General Manager at Southern Sun Dar es Salaam, responded to this reviewResponded September 4, 2011

Dear Anjagr, Thanks for your feedback, but I am devastated that you had a disturbed sleep! Sleep is our core business and if we cant provide that then you should not have to pay for that part! If you contact me I will arrange a refund for that nights accomodation charges. I will investigate the noise, we have strict bylaws restricitng noise at night in this area, and the police are normally good at enforcing these, at this stage I can only assume it was the Eid Celebrations that would have been happening at the start of the month. Still these should not have disturbed you and I am sorry about that!
Regards

Reviewed September 2, 2011

The hotel is very confortable and clean the restaurant and bar serve excellent food and drinks. The staff is very good and helpful. The hotel itself is really beautiful in style. Attached to it there is the botanical garden. It is beautiful to visit there are monkeys and birds.

• Stayed: August 2011
1  Thank Qweyu

Dear Qweyu, Thanks for your feedback. we are all delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us, as well as the wildlife in the botanical gardens next door. Its like a mini spring here at the moment with the Peacocks in full colour, the weavers busy nesting and the baby monkeys having fun in the trees! Quite a spectacle here in the middle of town!

Cheers and I hope we get to see you again soon

Reviewed September 1, 2011

I arrived in Dar Es Salaam and went into the Southern Sun. My room was booked but no room assigned. I asked for a non smoking room and I got a nice room on the second floor.
Everything was there and working. A nice bath room with a bath and a separate shower. Nice. Dinner at the hotel was good. I had fish which was fresh but nothing special.
Service was top however.
The breakfast was good, a variety of choice but I missed some. Don't know what. But further... it was OK.
Location is good and my stay was positive. Will come back here.

1  Thank The-M0M0
AdamGMSouthernSunDSM, General Manager at Southern Sun Dar es Salaam, responded to this reviewResponded September 2, 2011

Dear Momo
THanks for taking the time to post your comments on Trip Advisor. I am delighted that you had an enjoayble stay and we are looking forward to weloming you back again in the not too far distant future.

Reviewed August 26, 2011

Our "home away from home". Never stayed at a place with more friendly service. Great location at the edge of the botanical garden and a short walk to the center, and only meters from Standard Chartered Bank, the African Development Bank and most embassies.

1  Thank Travelling-Alejandro

Dear Alejandro
Thanks for your kind comments, I am delighted that you enjoy our hotel and we look forward to your return!
Asante sana