“Good Location, Let down some what by lacklustre management”
Review of Friendly Gecko

Friendly Gecko
Reviewed July 8, 2012

A decent location and nice enough rooms. Confused my booking with another at time of booking and then when we requested an additional night were unable to do so despite being told the night before it was ok. Reasonable food but no hot water in our room. Better value places throughout Tanzania

• Stayed: June 2012
1  Thank BrynNomad

Reviewed May 17, 2012 via mobile

I stayed here in the dorm for 3 nights and really enjoyed my stay. The staff are really friendly and made us feel welcome straight away. The guesthouse is a nice building with cool terraces to sit in the evenings. It is also really clean and the rooms are comfy with well fitted mosquito nets and hot showers. There is also wifi which was great. The beach is not far so we spent a couple of days chilling out there during the day and at the guesthouse in the evening. The guesthouse also provides cheap meals each evening (optional) which were delicious. The included breakfast is also great too.
If I ever come back to dar I will definitely stay here again and I would recommend it to friends. great guesthouse!

• Stayed: May 2012
4  Thank Jrp997
Reviewed May 11, 2012

I flew I into Dar and it was really great not to have to go straight into the big city mayhem. This a very attractive guest house on the outskirts (but near a beach) and all profits go to the orphanage which is fab. The staff were very friendly and the new management are putting a lot of effort into making improvements for the guests and volunteers. Ou can also visit the orphanage if you want, where there are a group of happy well taken care of kids. Overall a lovely start to travelling in Tanzania.

Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank Gina G
Reviewed May 9, 2012

This guest house is a very nice place to stay. It is relaxed and comfortable and the staff is very friendly... The house is clean and fresh. I love that all of the profit goes to the orphange that the are woking with. Even if we stayed in the tent it still was cozy and it never felt uncomfotable. The cleanest guesthouse i have stayed at in a long long time

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Camilla H
Reviewed May 9, 2012

Me and my girlfriend stayed in a tent at friendly gecko.
It was nice and we had acces to the whole facillity with wi fi, tv and hot shower.
Another good thing is that the money they make is going directly to charity.
There is a beach close to here i have heard but i didn´t visit.
The only bad thing is that it is 20 min from dar es salaam city centre.

Room Tip: The tent was nice for two people
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Martin N
Reviewed May 5, 2012

During a marine research trip to Tanzania, I decided to spend a few days in Dar es Salaam area before I started and after a search for a nice sounding place to stay, I found The Friendly Gecko. The website is really good to get an idea of what it will be like and then the quick email response upon booking was great. On arrival I was met by their recommended taxi driver and driven straight there. As a solo traveller, I was immediately made to feel so welcome by all of the staff, and the other volunteers no travelers there. The rooms are lovely and comfortable, with a lovely balcony terrace to sit. There is also a great breakfast too. I instantly was made so welcome and made to feel at home and would recommend this as a safe, fun and great place to stay, either for a few days of for longer. I wish I could have stayed there longer! Thank you for a great stay!

Room Tip: Just ask for what you need!
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo
8  Thank Kayte01
Reviewed May 4, 2012

I stayed in the Gecko two times the last three months, both times for about a week. I had the most amazing time. The Gecko offers a chilled out place with always some volunteers or guests to talk to. It is a bit out of town, but the drive there is definitely worthwhile, and you'll soon extra appreciate the nice living, balcony and hammock it if you spend a day downtown.

Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo