“Inspiring”
Review of Investours

Investours
Ranked #5 of 22 Tours in Dar es Salaam
More attraction details
Owner description: Investours is a non-profit organization that combines the power of microfinance with socially-responsible tourism. We use your tour fee to issue an interest-free loan to an entrepreneur of your choice. On a tour, you will have the opportunity to engage in their daily lives, discuss their business plans, experience their day-to-day challenges, and offer suggestions on areas of improvement.
Reviewed October 21, 2012

Investours is an non-profit organisation who supports local entrepreneurs with 0% interest micro loans. Two genuine and friendly guides, Peter and his colleague, will bring you along two of these small entrepreneurs. Here, you will have the chance to meet them and find out more about their lives, business and future plans. This is an excellent opportunity to explore the less touristic part of Dar and get a taste of the life of a local. You will also enjoy lunch at one of the previous entrepreneurs Investours has supported and see the difference your support could bring to others. Finally, a tour around the main wood markets is not to mis.

Highly recommendable to anyone who has a day to spare in Dar.

1  Thank Phil S
There are newer reviews for Investours

Reviewed August 25, 2012

We spent the day with at investours with peter the guide. He started by giving us a presentation about microfinance and explained that we would be visiting two entrepreneurs who would explain why they had applied for an interest free loan. At the end of the day we would select which one the money we had paid for the tour would receive the money. we visited a woman wanting to start a sewing business and a woman who wanted to expand her small shop. We also visited the wood carvers market and also had lunch at a local restaurant (all covered in the price you pay). It was an amazing experience that you would just not see as a tourist to dar es salaam otherwise. It also felt brilliant being able to learn about the lives of these people and seeing how resourceful they were. if you are in Dar for the day you MUST do this tour. Peter was amazing, the experience was fantastic and i will definitely be going again. brilliant.

3  Thank emma79_12
Reviewed August 5, 2012

I love this place! This is one of the cheaper places to buy wood carving and other souvenirs in Tanzania. You can do a real bagain if you negotiat prices. It's better/cheaper if you use TZH than USD. I have been here four or five times, and every time I found something new and exiting. The sales people are friendly. I recommend speaking to them and asking about the items they are selling. Make an effort, and try to speak swahili if you can. The locals really appriciate it.

5  Thank Mie M
Reviewed July 22, 2012

I was included on a small tour and felt the whole trip was well-organised but also very flexible. If we wanted to stay a bit longer, or visit somewhere on the way, this was an option. It was like a day out with friends! Lunch was good - a real local experience. I liked seeing the businesses and meeting the business owners, but I also liked the parts in between where I learnt so much about the language, the culture and the sometimes very creative driving skills of Dar Es Salaam!

1  Thank Kate D
Reviewed July 20, 2012

The director, Peter Millanga, picked me up as agreed and provided me with an informative and interesting presentation on micro-financing and how Investours works. Then I was treated to a visit to the workshops at the wood carvers market, a visit to a ladies hairdresser and to a tailoring shop. We had a traditional lunch at Mama's and more shopping opportunities at the woodcarvers market before I had to put into practice the principles of micro financing - a hard decision when every business I saw was so worth investing in. Peter dropped me off at the hotel after a full day out with so many experiences and sights and information - just the sort of tourism I appreciate. I recommend this tour to anyone who wants to do some good with their tourist dollars.

2  Thank JanleeCanberra