“Comfortable in good location”

Tanzanite Executive Suites
Ranked #11 of 97 Hotels in Dar es Salaam
Reviewed July 8, 2014

Spent four nights in a deluxe suite. Service in rooms was a bit slow perhaps because of Ramadan and the food isn't great but given the location you're better off with the great street barbecues around the corner. Very convenient for the main Shia centre and for the Zanzibar ferry. Rooms are comfortable and quite good value.

Stayed: July 2014, traveled on business
4  Thank mullasadra

Reviewed July 8, 2014 via mobile

Tanzanite I found was in a great location, right in the centre of Dar, walking distance from the Banks, Money Exchange, The National Museum, Ferry Port, Botanical Park etc.
We stayed here for two nights after Safari to check out the City and move on to Zanzibar & as mentioned above the ferry port was literally a 10 min walk away!
The rooms were clean and spacious, the food ordered from room service was great and the service was efficient.
There wasn't much choice at breakfast unless you got up and went for your breakfast first thing.
On our last day we advised the reception staff that we were going to go to Zanzibar and will be getting the Ferry.. we didnt ask for support with our bags or for him to hail us a Taxi. Anyhow he called one of the porters mumbled something in Kiswahili and said our goodbyes. Once we got downstairs the porter advised the Taxi driver in Swahili that we're going to the Airport which we didn't realise until we got there! We missed our Ferry to Zanzibar and had to wait 2hours for the next one and when I emailed the Hotel to complain -No response. Whatever you do please make sure you speak to the Taxi drivers yourself to confirm where you're going!

• Stayed: June 2014
3  Thank Mango_Skittle
Reviewed July 5, 2014

A very comfortable, safe, clean above-basic business class hotel in a central location. It's not a five-star property (3, maybe 4), but I give it five "Trip Advisor" stars because they did almost everything right (with only one problem) and it's hard to find fault with their overall operation. There aren't many high-quality choices in Dar, especially in the center of the city, and this outfit does better and more than it has to to compete, which is why I appreciate and recommend it. The one problem during our one-night stay: a dead wi-fi, despite their assurances it worked. When I tried to inform the desk manager early the morning we checked out - an earnest, if overly defensive chap - instead of accepting my information in the spirit I intended - mainly just to inform, but also slightly criticize because they didn't catch it on their own - he didn't let me finish and proceeded to explain to me how it worked, as if I were a child using wi-fi for the first time. I tried again; he continued. I departed. Fortunately, better instincts seemed to abide in his fellows listening in, and a few hours later I received an e-mail from a more senior manager apologizing for the fault (which I wasn't seeking) and thanking me for bringing it to their attention (which I was). OK, all's forgiven: such good management and customer service instincts are why I really do think this is a good property offering good value and would stay there again. One caveat: I can't attest to the food there because we didn't try the attached restaurant, instead wanting to eat somewhere outside in order to see more of the town. But we found out that Dar is not a restaurant city, with most of the better places attached to hotels. After walking around for 90 minutes, we headed back to the hotel and then did find a decent Chinese restaurant around the corner and a couple of blocks from the hotel.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank tjw007
Reviewed July 1, 2014

Pretty good hotel especially for the price. It's a far cry from a holiday maker's dream but super convenient for business trips. Amenities are a bit limited but the rooms are clean and spacious, good hygiene standards observed. Had a short 2 night stay here en route back home from Zanzibar, would definitely stay here next time I need accommodation for a night before Zanzibar

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
3  Thank Mildred O
Reviewed June 30, 2014

spent 2 nights while in Dar on a business trip.We were a group of 4 executives.The apartments are in central Dar es Salaam.Check in swift with welcome drink.Rooms clean,breakfast buffet with variety .Toilets with adequate toiletries and A/C.The negatives:the bathroom in one of the washrooms of apartment 701 had no water! We did not expect this from an executive apartment.The other issue was of giving one AC remote for the whole apartment despite the fact that each apartment has 3 bedrooms ! All in all I would attend again again .

Room Tip: avoid suite 701. Has one washroom without water
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank Munir T
Reviewed June 27, 2014

This hotel is located in a very busy and small street of Tanzania.
but the best part of the hotel is its rooms.
it is near to every possible Indian food outlet in Tanzania.
the community is mostly Asian Pakistani or Indian.
the rooms are done quite nicely and sizes are good.

Only bad thing is the breakfast.
so many times I have been here and I eat normally late.
but how come a breakfast that has to be over at 10 is left with no food at 9 30.

rest the hotel is amazing ..

Room Tip: The suites are huge
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank kshitij g
Reviewed June 16, 2014

I have just spent the night at this wonderful hotel. Knowing that I would be arriving late at night, being on my own & wanting to feel safe, I decided to splurge a little from my usual cheaper budget. I found a great deal on Trip Advisor & picked the Tanzanite. My taxi had problems finding the hotel & the area was a little questionable but suddenly, there appeared this beautiful gleaming hotel.
It is a wonderful place to stay - impeccably clean, good food, amazing room & very helpful staff. I was so delighted with this find - once again thanks to Trip Advisor.

Please be aware that this hotel has a strict. "No alcohol" policy but they make awesome mocktails!

Stayed: June 2014, traveled solo