“Avoid, avoid, avoid!!!”

Ranked #45 of 95 Hotels in Dar es Salaam
Dublin, Ireland
“Avoid, avoid, avoid!!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2014

This Rainbow Hotel is the biggest toilet I have ever had the misfortune of staying in. Mostly unfriendly staff, small cramped dirty room and potential food poisoning in the restaurant with badly undercooked fish.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank watchrobbie

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Preston, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 12, 2014

i stayed in this lovely hotel for 3 nights as i was on business. I can honestly say i have never been to a hotel where i have been made to feel so welcome and at home. Avesh who works for the hotel was very helpfull and always had an answer to my questions and had many recomendation for places for me to visit. I must say he and the other staff there are a credit to this hotel and country. I am looking forward to my next business trip which is in 3 months.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 10, 2014

I stayed in the deluxe room on 3rd feb 2014 room no 408 the service was amazing, value for money this chap called Avesh looked after me he is a credit to the hotel excellent chap! The food was tasty and clean high level. I would deffo go there again without doubt.

• Stayed February 2014
Moshi, Tanzania
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 9, 2014

I made an online reservation at the Rainbow Hotel for a two night stay in Dar. My first tipoff that this was not going to be a fun experience should have been when the front desk clerk told me that a taxi from the intercity bus stand to the hotel should cost around 20 USD - the correct price is between 10-15000 TSH. I brushed this off as a typing error and went ahead anyway, but when I got to the hotel, the room was unlike anything shown on the website or trip advisor. It was a closet - you could only open the door fully by pushing it past the bedframe, which was up against the wall. The walls were beige, the floor was dirty, and the sheets looked worn through. It was the single most depressing room I've ever seen. I went back to the front desk and tried to see about a different room, but apparently once it's been entered in the system, it's set in stone. I thought they would at least try and negotiate with me, but they just let me walk away. Fortunately, I ended up at the nearby Econolodge, which, while less than fancy on the outside, is scrupulously clean, and has a private bathroom and A/C for a quarter of the price. Once I spend the night here, I will rate the Econolodge, but thus far, I'm very glad I moved on from the Rainbow

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank amckechnieoverseas

Travelers are raving about these Dar es Salaam hotels

Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 14, 2013

WE HAD A MEETING AT THIS HOTEL FOR 4 DAYS. IT IS CLEAN AND FOOD IS HOT INDIAN TOUCH. FIVE MINUTES TO THE FERRY, NEAR TOWN LOCAL TAXIS VERY REASONABLE.

DAR es salaam CITY IS WARM WITH NICE PEOPLE I ENJOYED MY STAY.
JUST NO FRIDGE IN THE ROOM
INTERNET WAS HARD TO GET THE HIGHER YOU GO UP! GET FLOOR1 IF POSSIBLE.
NO NOISE COOLED ROOMS NO MOSQUITO.
I WOULD RECOMMEND FOR SHORT TIME VISITS. the staff are well trained to handle clients. the security is available. they take you to the airport.
If you are in town, it is cheaper to get your items from the market "Kariakoo" many things including fruits. At the ferry prepare 55USD to travel to Zanzibar it is more fan with many people. there is a fastest speed bus boat 40 minutes to Zanzibar but i never used it.
all the best to you endless travelers!!.

Room Tip: for a nice view top rooms , but you forgo internet. for best internet reception floors 1 and two...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Harare, Zimbabwe
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2013

I stayed in Rainbow for four days and was amazed with the service and hospitality. The rate was $45 for a single room including breakfast which was very reasonable. The location is 5 mins walk to the ferry. Wifi was free and the connection was good for Africa standard. Staff very friendly.I will definitely stay there again on my next trip. Thank you Rainbow

Room Tip: If you do not have a budget problem, stay in double or deluxe rooms.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Auvers-sur-Oise, France
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2013

We chose that place because it is close to the ferry to Zanzibar. We checked in late in the evening , tired after a whole day spent in the bus coming from Arusha. When I asked the boss (I presume) for information on how to get to Zanzibar, he phoned a friend of his to book ferry tickets. The guy showed up in the morning pretending they didn't accept US dollars and thus made us pay more than the official price. He drove us to the ferry, gave us a porter, and asked us again for more money although my husband paid him at the hotel for the ferry and the taxi !
The place itself is OK for the price you pay. Not very clean, though.
It is very easy to walk to the ferry station but we didn't because I had a broken arm.
The hotel is run by Indian people. The boss pretends to be helpful and efficient towards his guests but he turned to be some kind of crook .
So Don't ask for any kind of services !

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple