“Big clean room. Value for money”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel Nikko Tower

Hotel Nikko Tower
Ranked #30 of 95 Hotels in Dar es Salaam
“Big clean room. Value for money”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 18, 2014 via mobile

The room is big and clean, although just a little care worn. The staff are very friendly and helpful. While I like the hotel and the people here, I am a bit cautious of the immediate vicinity. Though strategically located in city center, I would hesitate to venture out alone.
There's a nearby mosque so be prepared for regular prayers. Near Kariakoo market and near the Zanzibar ferry terminal. Would recommend for short stay and for small group.

Stayed April 2014, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 1, 2014

I stayed in the Nikko Towers hotel for 3 nights whilst in Dar on business. It is perfectly located in the CBD and close to the Zanzibar ferry. I had meetings all over town and could walk easily instead of getting stuck in the monotonous and notorious Dar traffic. The rooms were excellent, one night we were without water but that was due to a municipal water issue not the hotel itself. The air conditioning is freezing and you don't seem to be able to change the settings so I slept with the ceiling fan on and that was enough. The TV reception is terrible and the Wifi comes and goes but if you are patient you can download emails in certain places around the hotel. There is no pool, a small gym and a very strange bar on the top floor (empty every night I stayed). The restaurant is the jewel in the crown. The food is well prepared, tasty and there is plenty of it. I would recommend anything from the curry menu. Overall, a decent hotel for a short stay in the middle of town.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank jimmyray38
Cairo, Egypt
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 1, 2014

We only stayed here for one night. We liked the location, very close to the ferry port as well as some shops and restaurants. The shower had fairly good pressure and hot water. I found the beds uncomfortable for sitting on, but ok for sleeping on. As one of few low cost options we were very happy with this hotel.

Berlin, Germany
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2014

I have stayed at Nikko Towers in March 2014 and was surprised to be offered a really nice spacious room (ask for room 705!) with an incredible view that was even spotlessly clean and nicely furnished (for Dar es Salaam standards, of course) and came with a really big and tasty breakfast. I enjoyed the good shower with perfect water pressure (a rare thing in Tansania, it seems), Wifi worked well even in the room, they have a small gym on the top floor that I didn't check out though. The place has no pool but a nice bar with a view and a goo restaurant on the second floor where breakfast is served as well. The employees seemed extremely attentive and helpful, spoke very good english and were very kind to us. Only their coffee didn't exactly taste great but considering the fact that you pay twice or three times as much money for this standard elsewehere in Dar es Salaam, I guess this the best choice you can make. The hotel is located quite central so it's just short walk to the harour and everything you might want to see downtown. You can walk around on your own during the day but I would suggest you don't try to walk home after sunset since the entire area with its rather dark and narrow streets doesn't feel absolutely safe at night. So just take an official taxi at night and you will be fine. There is a great indian restaurant around the corner that I can highly recommend as well. Ask for "Chef's Pride" near Libya Street... Try to book the hotel online in advance because they offer their best rates on booking.com and hrs.com so you might get a double room for around 64 USD. I did ask for that rate as I walked into the hotel and after a short and very friendly negotiation they offered me a room for 70 USD and made sure they gave me the best avaible room which I found very nice.

Room Tip: Rooms 704 and 705 are a lot bigger than the pother rooms on the 7th floor plus they come with balcon...
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2014

While spending 2 weeks in Tanzania, my friend and I stayed here a total of 3 times as we passed back and forth through Dar on our way to Zanzibar and Arusha. The location was perfect - within walking distance to the ferry and on the western edge of the city, so you don't have to drive through all of downtown to get to the airport. The rooms were small but clean. Plenty of hot water and good water pressure. Free wifi worked the entire time we were there and was probably the fastest that we experienced in Tanzania. Simple, but quality breakfast was included. The staff were friendly - we had booked our first stint via Expedia and they were willing to honor that price when we asked to book again. However, the staff are not very knowledgeable - they did not know where anything was (for example, we asked for directions to the National Museum and they told us it was way too far to walk and gave us incorrect directions. It was 1.5km and a friendly local pointed us in the right direction). We also were in need of a few other things - store hours, more directions, expected prices, etc. We always got the wrong information from the staff. Overall, fine hotel, but you should be self-sufficient.

Denton, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 9, 2014

Nice place. Helpful staff; they always treat me like an old friend. Good, strong internet. Good restaurant, and you can get something 24 hours a day.

I made the mistake of taking a cheaper hotel near this, and regretted it. Left there after two days of a planned seven and came "home" to Nikko.

Room Tip: The balcony rooms cost a bit more, but are worth it.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Hamilton, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2014

Short walk from the ferry, about 10 minutes.
6 min shuttle to the airport at 1:30 am....the driver was speeding but there was no traffic. The hotel shuttle cost $25.

Clean room.
In room safe.
AC and fan in room worked well.
Good wifi.
TV with English movie station.
Bed needed updating, very saggy.

Short walk to Pitstop for pizza and Mambo`s for bbq.

Check in smooth, I prepaid with hotels.com.
Can pay with credit card.

Two computers in the lobby.
A restaurant and bar on site, we did not try.
Gym on site, although door was locked when we tried to use it.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple