“Great rooms, service and location for 70 USD!”
Review of Hotel Nikko Tower

Hotel Nikko Tower
Ranked #30 of 96 Hotels in Dar es Salaam
Berlin, Germany
“Great rooms, service and location for 70 USD!”
Reviewed March 18, 2014

I have stayed at Nikko Towers in March 2014 and was surprised to be offered a really nice spacious room (ask for room 705!) with an incredible view that was even spotlessly clean and nicely furnished (for Dar es Salaam standards, of course) and came with a really big and tasty breakfast. I enjoyed the good shower with perfect water pressure (a rare thing in Tansania, it seems), Wifi worked well even in the room, they have a small gym on the top floor that I didn't check out though. The place has no pool but a nice bar with a view and a goo restaurant on the second floor where breakfast is served as well. The employees seemed extremely attentive and helpful, spoke very good english and were very kind to us. Only their coffee didn't exactly taste great but considering the fact that you pay twice or three times as much money for this standard elsewehere in Dar es Salaam, I guess this the best choice you can make. The hotel is located quite central so it's just short walk to the harour and everything you might want to see downtown. You can walk around on your own during the day but I would suggest you don't try to walk home after sunset since the entire area with its rather dark and narrow streets doesn't feel absolutely safe at night. So just take an official taxi at night and you will be fine. There is a great indian restaurant around the corner that I can highly recommend as well. Ask for "Chef's Pride" near Libya Street... Try to book the hotel online in advance because they offer their best rates on booking.com and hrs.com so you might get a double room for around 64 USD. I did ask for that rate as I walked into the hotel and after a short and very friendly negotiation they offered me a room for 70 USD and made sure they gave me the best avaible room which I found very nice.

Room Tip: Rooms 704 and 705 are a lot bigger than the pother rooms on the 7th floor plus they come with balcon...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed March 14, 2014

While spending 2 weeks in Tanzania, my friend and I stayed here a total of 3 times as we passed back and forth through Dar on our way to Zanzibar and Arusha. The location was perfect - within walking distance to the ferry and on the western edge of the city, so you don't have to drive through all of downtown to get to the airport. The rooms were small but clean. Plenty of hot water and good water pressure. Free wifi worked the entire time we were there and was probably the fastest that we experienced in Tanzania. Simple, but quality breakfast was included. The staff were friendly - we had booked our first stint via Expedia and they were willing to honor that price when we asked to book again. However, the staff are not very knowledgeable - they did not know where anything was (for example, we asked for directions to the National Museum and they told us it was way too far to walk and gave us incorrect directions. It was 1.5km and a friendly local pointed us in the right direction). We also were in need of a few other things - store hours, more directions, expected prices, etc. We always got the wrong information from the staff. Overall, fine hotel, but you should be self-sufficient.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Denton, Texas
Reviewed March 9, 2014

Nice place. Helpful staff; they always treat me like an old friend. Good, strong internet. Good restaurant, and you can get something 24 hours a day.

I made the mistake of taking a cheaper hotel near this, and regretted it. Left there after two days of a planned seven and came "home" to Nikko.

Room Tip: The balcony rooms cost a bit more, but are worth it.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Hamilton, Canada
Reviewed February 25, 2014

Short walk from the ferry, about 10 minutes.
6 min shuttle to the airport at 1:30 am....the driver was speeding but there was no traffic. The hotel shuttle cost $25.

Clean room.
In room safe.
AC and fan in room worked well.
Good wifi.
TV with English movie station.
Bed needed updating, very saggy.

Short walk to Pitstop for pizza and Mambo`s for bbq.

Check in smooth, I prepaid with hotels.com.
Can pay with credit card.

Two computers in the lobby.
A restaurant and bar on site, we did not try.
Gym on site, although door was locked when we tried to use it.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank HojasRojas
Bogota, Colombia
Reviewed January 15, 2014

I have selected Nikko hotel by internet because it is pretty close to the airport, and with free shuttle service. I have paid through Internet with my credit card, and i had all the supports, when I arrived on the 13 th January, they said the booking is ok, but it was not paid, and I have to paid again. They said the suttle to the airport was free, and they charged me US$ 25 for one one way.and US$ 25 for the way to the airport.
The room are small, less than 16 sq mt, full of furniture, so you can badly come in. The service is not well appointed and slow. Very poor rate. I'm waiting for the refun of the double payment.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
2 Thank duneofsand

Travelers are raving about these Dar es Salaam hotels

Istanbul, Turkey
Reviewed January 10, 2014

I stayed at that hotel for a long period. During the whole time of my stay the staff was very kind and welcoming. The location was great and very close to Zanzibar Ferry. Also the price of the hotel was very worth of it. Room was well furnished and the hotel had a very good and delicious breakfast. It has a small gym saloon which you could use if you stay at that hotel a long time.

Room Tip: A room with balcony would be better.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Reviewed January 3, 2014

My friend and I stayed at the Hotel Nikko Tower for 3 nights following our trip to Zanzibar. In total, the stay was satisfactory. The hotel is not far from the ferry terminal (<5 minutes) or the airport (20 minutes w/o traffic). The facility itself is pretty good; modern, clean and with air conditioning (much needed with the hot and humid climate of Dar es Salaam). The rooms are pretty nice. Our room was comfortably spaced for two people and featured wifi, air conditioning, a safe, refrigerator and a ceiling fan. However, the wifi was spotty at best and the hot water in the bathroom was sporadic. Sleep quality is pretty good (comfortable beds). Although, the morning call to prayer from the nearby mosque woke me up a few times. The rate includes breakfast at the hotel restaurant and is better than other free breakfasts I’ve had at places across East Africa. There were no issues with the non-human elements of our stay. The staff was the only questionable area. They are plenty friendly and helpful in terms of face-to-face interaction and in-hotel assistance. However, they have little knowledge about the city in terms of things to do, places to eat and how to get there. In fact, one individual, after we asked for good places to eat outside of the hotel, was very insistent that we eat at the hotel. Given that we wanted to explore the area, this was not ideal. In conclusion, I would recommend the Hotel Nikko Tower for business trips, layovers and people who want to experience city-life. The building is in the middle of the city center but is not close to the more touristy and restaurant laden NW Dar es Salaam. We taxied back and forth from town to the NW for meals (it cost 15-20 USD each way after negotiation). People looking for multiple day vacations in Dar es Salaam are advised to look into staying in the NW region of Oyster Bay and Toure Drive (there are more restaurants, things to do and beaches).

Room Tip: If you don’t like crammed rooms, make sure you ask for a larger double room, as the smaller and slig...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends