“Watch your pockets”
Review of Kariakoo Market

Reviewed November 25, 2012

This is the best place in dar to buy everything. If it is in dar, most likely you will find it at Kariakoo market.

That being said, it is also the easiest place to get robber. Most likely it will be a pick pocket. They are not very good at their trade, they use bump tactics and just grab and run. Not a fun experience to look down and see someone reaching into your pockets. Don't bring a bad. Keep your money close, and enjoy the hectic environment.

1  Thank cody a
"handicrafts"
"usd"
"driver"

Reviewed November 12, 2012 via mobile

Visited the market it is full of hardware for every day life in Dar. The best range of wooden spoons in town. Plastic bins buckets and bowls piled to the roof. We arrived mid morning it was hot and humid on the streets the market was suprisingly cool and we could see why the locals would meet here. This is well worth a visit not at all threatening overall interesting and pleasant.

Reviewed September 28, 2012

I wanted to purchase African Fabrics as well as visit the local market. So I hired a driver from the hotel who agreed to take my daughter and I to the market and wait while we shopped. Well, he actually accompanied us, thank goodness. I would never have found my way, probably been accosted by the hordes of people, and probably ripped off if I did find the fabric stalls. There were no Europeans in sight. I had been told it was fine to bring USD. NOT. After being totally overwhelmed by the vast variety of fabrics from various countries in Africa, my daughter helped me select about 8 units, only to find they were 6 metres long! My driver did the bargaining. 106 TZS. Whoops, only USD. So my driver drove me, my daughter, and the vendor to a known change bureau (we had already agreed on the USD price) and dropped off the vendor to change his money! 48 meters of beautiful African fabric for $71! Including the adventure. Don't be afraid to go but have a driver go into the market with you and bring TZS. Everything is for sale and the locals shop there. Hustling and bustling, men with carts trying to navigate small streets, food displayed beautifully, clothes, shoes, people pushing and shoving to get by. But 30 minutes was plenty for me. And not for the claustrophobic ones. But I loved it!

2  Thank iquilt
Reviewed September 12, 2012

Highly avoid unless you dream of getting ripped off by big african men. One of the most unsafe places in the city. Dont go there.. ever !

2  Thank ankeet_sinha