“Great Location, average amneties”

DoubleTree by Hilton Dar es Salaam-Oysterbay
Ranked #5 of 96 Hotels in Dar es Salaam
Mumbai (Bombay), India
“Great Location, average amneties”
Reviewed January 21, 2014

Good reception and room size. Need to check the safety of doors and locks. Average restaurant and breakfast quality. Very good pool and gym. A good location for family, next to slipway shopping. Very friendly staff.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Ian M, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Dar es Salaam-Oysterbay, responded to this review, January 25, 2014
Thank you for choosing to stay at DoubleTree by Hilton Oyster Bay, we do appreciate the time you have taken to post a review of your recent stay with us. We use your feedback to help us improve the overall guest experience. We have taken note of your comment regarding the door locks, and our IT department are investigating the problem. We do hope you will continue to stay with us, and look forward to welcome you back to our hotel on your next visit to Tanzania.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (190)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Reviewed January 20, 2014

I came here for a long weekend and just wanted to relax and lie by the pool and enjoy the warm climate. I booked the room via booking.com and expected to get a room with a sea view as that was specified in my booking. However, when I arrived I was told that was not the case, which was a disappointment. The next day reception staff arranged to move me to a room with a view, however only a twin was available, no longer the superior king I had originally booked.
While this was a bit of a disappointment, I have to say the staff were very helpful and I really cannot complain about my stay.
Breakfast buffet is really good, room service food less so (food was disappointing and also, drinks are served with bottle only, no glass, so I ended up using the glass from the bathroom.)
For good seafood just walk next door to Waterfront restaurant in Slipway, literally 100 m away.
One really nice thing is the chocolate mousse from the Piano Piano bar.
Pool area is really nice, though of course the pool looks much bigger on the website than in reality. This area is also great for a sundowner, great sunsets.

I enjoyed my stay and would come again and would also recommend this hotel to others. , I probably would not want to pay the full price for this hotel, I would look for an occasional offer for cheaper rates.

Room Tip: 5th floor rooms with even numbers get a sea view
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
Ian M, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Dar es Salaam-Oysterbay, responded to this review, January 21, 2014
Thank you, for choosing to stay at DoubleTree by Hilton Oyster Bay, we appreciate the time you have taken to review the service and facilities of our hotel. We are disappointed that we did not meet all your expectations on this visit, but that overall you enjoyed your relaxing weekend. We hope to see you again on your next visit to Dar es Salaam.

We will have a chocolate mousse waiting for you in Paino Piano.
Washington D.C., United States
Reviewed January 18, 2014

The Double Tree in Dar is a good place to stay that could be great with some attention to detail and a few upgrades. The atmosphere and staff are great, however, food management and the fitness center can use some improvements.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Thank you for choosing to stay at DoubleTree by Hilton Oyster Bay, we appreciate the time you have taken to review your recent stay and the service & facilities we offer. We are delighted that overall you enjoyed your stay with us and have noted your comment for improvement., We can assure you that we are working hard to improve those areas, We hope you will continue stay with us, look forward to welcome you back to our hotel on your next visit to Tanzania,
Basingstoke, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 14, 2014

This is one of the nicer hotels in the Oyster Bay area of Dar es Salaam in Tanzania and I recommend it.

I stayed there for two nights on a business trip at the beginning of October 2013. You can get a reasonable deal by booking at least a week in advance. My room (No. 406) cost USD 165 per night inclusive of buffet breakfast and all taxes etc. This hotel is part of the Opulent Hotel Group.

The lobby had a nice welcome feel to it. Check in at reception was efficient. The chocolate chip cookie was yummy. My room on the fourth floor had a view of the ocean and the shoreline of the bay. But there was another hotel building which partially blocked the view.

The room was spacious and it had all the mod cons like TV, air conditioning, hair dryer, mini fridge, tea and coffee making facilities, executive desk and chair, armchair and foot stool etc. Through French doors you gained access to the balcony. The pillows and the mattress are very comfortable. The bathroom was adequate in size. It had a shower and a bathtub. The décor was very contemporary African – and I liked it very much.

The buffet breakfast had a good variety of food on offer – but the way the food was served needed attention. One point I noted was that some of the hot foods steamed up within the serving pans. I spoke to the recently appointed Food and Beverage manager Andreas who wrote down my feedback. He said that other guests too had mentioned similar points to mine. He said that changes would be effected and that the quality of food would be greatly improved. I look forward to visiting again in the near future.

Outside – the gardens are well maintained. The swimming pool looks great and inviting. The hotel does not have access to a beach.

I did not have the opportunity to dine in the hotel restaurant, as I had my meals in nearby restaurants.
Staff members are very friendly and helpful. I had a chat with the General Manager Andrzej Mocny. I gave him my feedback and he appreciated it. He told me to contact him directly, the next time I wanted to stay at the hotel. That confirms my belief that the staff members do really care and want to make your visit a pleasant and enjoyable one.

Some points to note:
1. If you are driving, the car park at the front of the hotel gets very busy in the early evening – so it is best to check in by mid-afternoon. Moving within the car park itself is tricky as space is limited. All vehicles get checked by security before they are allowed into the hotel grounds.
2. Before you accept the room, it is worth checking out the room first. Some rooms which have not been used for some time could have a musty odour.
3. Some rooms are offered as king size bedrooms – but in fact are two small queen size beds.

MAZ MANNAN 14 January 2014

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor room facing the sea
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Ian M, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Dar es Salaam-Oysterbay, responded to this review, January 15, 2014
Thank you for choosing to stay at DoubleTree by Hilton Oyster Bay, we are delighted that overall you enjoyed your stay with us, and appreciate the time you have taken to review the facilities and services. We hope you will continue to use the hotel and look forward to welcome back on your next visit to Dar es Salaam.
Asheville, United States
Reviewed January 14, 2014

The DoubleTree located on the Oyster bay is arguably the best hotel in Dar es Salaam. It was comforting to experience a solid accommodation package after traveling across Tanzania for three weeks. The staff is extremely friendly, the indian food is excellent, the cookies are a decadent. Great views to the Indian ocean. The location couldn't be any better really since you're located on the peninsula with pretty much all you need within range. Just make sure you don't get a haircut at the local hair salon on site!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Thank you or choosing to stay at Doubletree by Hilton Oyster Bay, we appreciate the time you have taken to review our hotel, and delighted that overall you enjoyed your time with us. Your comments are vital part of our ongoing commitment to improve the quality of our guest service. We are disappointed that your experience in the Spa did not meet your expectation and are investigating what went wrong. We hope this will not deter you from continuing to use our hotel and look forward to welcome you on your next visit to Dar es Salaam
Kisumu, Kenya
Reviewed January 9, 2014

I stayed in this hotel in December 2013. The location of the hotel is excellent, the building is exceptional. The price, well, I'll leave it to you to judge. In my opinion, almost everything is great about this hotel except two things (maybe three): The food and towels. Oh yes, I'll be that picky. The food, in my opinion is so bad. The towels are like ancient towels. I really felt uncomfortable using those towels. Also the third floor rooms and the corridor have some odor. Very uncomfortable when you first get in but I guess you get used to the smell.
Overall, this is a great place to stay.
Tanzania generally is a VERY friendly country to be in. Lots of stuff to be discovered.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Ian M, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Dar es Salaam-Oysterbay, responded to this review, January 10, 2014
Thank you for choosing to stay at DoubleTree by Hilton Oyster Bay, we appreciate the time you have taken to review your stay with us, and delighted that overall you enjoyed your stay with us. We are disappointed that our food was not to your personal taste, and are currently reviewing some of our menus to improve the selection available. we are also in the process of upgrading our bathroom linen, and hope to complete this during the first quarter of 2014. Your comments are a valuable part of our commitment to improving our customer experiences and again thank you for sharing them with us.We look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel on your next visit to Dar es Salaam.
Canada
Reviewed January 6, 2014

I stayed here 1x night while on Business in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania. This is situated in "The Peninsula" part of Dar es Salaam, north of the main downtown city center. This hotel offers business people an option for the many businesses that are setting up offices in the Peninsula area of the city. As it can take 1hr in traffic to travel from the downtown city center hotels for meetings during Monday to Friday business hours for meetings in the Peninsula area, this is a logical local hotel choice. The breakfast was fine and offered the typical assortment and selection. The rooms were large and well appointed, and this is a quiet part of greater Dar es Salaam. The hotel has a nice pool area and is situated right on the beach. The staff were very helpful. I would stay here again if I had business in the peninsula part of the city.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Ian M, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Dar es Salaam-Oysterbay, responded to this review, January 7, 2014
Thank you for choosing to stay at Doubletree by Hilton Oyster Bay, We are delighted you enjoyed your stay with us, and thank you for taking the time to complete our guest satisfaction survey, your comments are a valuable part of our ongoing commitment exceed guest expectations.