“Great vicinity for area”

DoubleTree by Hilton Dar es Salaam-Oysterbay
Ranked #5 of 95 Hotels in Dar es Salaam
Melbourne
“Great vicinity for area”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2013

The place was chosen purely as a result of a business visit although I myself was not privy to the business facilities offered here. I was an accompanying guest, so my review is based on my experience as a visitor. The security at the hotel is tight and evident as you check in. The welcome was great and reception and staff very friendly indeed. We occupied the ground floor, front wing and the room was big and spacious. Only irritating thing in the corridors and going to the rooms is the fungal like humid odour which was magnified by the substance used to kill the humidity. This was on for the time 4 days we stayed there and I am unsure what exactly that is? Rooms were clean but dependent on what time of day, there was hardly any hot shower...and July can be cool by Dar-es-Salaam standards (Great time to visit). There is no direct control for hot water in the bathrooms, so I am unsure whether this was a power saving measure? The swimming pool area is great and the walkway to the jetty is great especially at night with the lighting, Msasani Slipway and fish market view. There is a Bar by the swimming pool or over the Gym and Hair Salon. The hotel is an ideal place for families and a 5 minute walk to Slipway for shopping or food. Taxis to and fro city available. Break fast was good with a variety of fruit and local Indian and Tanzanian cuisines...although in my opinion would not pass as authentic. Dining room staff were very friendly and that goes to room service and bar attendants. The security guards saluting all the time a bit daunting. Wifi here is very complicated and exhausting although staff were always ready to assist. For those with an eclectic feel, the decor is misplaced and uncoordinated. I am unsure why it has the Hilton name to it if that goes by international standards? Great places to drink and enjoy near by but requires to be careful walking at night and or with valuables. The Tinga Tinga Cooperative is near by (Check David Marama Photography on Face Book), great place to buy this genre of Tanzanian Art. There is buffet on Friday and a great Band, the Tanzanites in attendance. The food was excellent and in abundance....worth every cent !!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
RoderickPeck, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Dar es Salaam-Oysterbay, responded to this review, August 6, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your revue on Trip Advisor. We do appreciate the feed back.

I'm pleased that in general you had an enjoyable stay with us and so glad that you enjoyed our Friday Night entertainment by the Pool. It really is a lovely area, and the Band just adds to the atmosphere. I'm also delighted that you enjoyed our ever changing local Breakfast items, and can assure you they are quite authentic and prepared by Tanzanian and Indian Chefs.

On the slightly less positive side, I will certainly look in to your comments regarding water temperature. We don't do any power saving in this area, so it should always be available. Perhaps if it was at a low demand time, the water may need to be run a little longer to get to a higher temperature. I shall also address the air freshener that we use, I actually have samples coming in today.

Once again thank you for you comments and I shall pass on you appreciation of our helpful Team to all. I shall look forward to welcoming you back when you next visit Dar es Salaam

Roderick Peck

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (183)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2013

I stayed at the Hilton several times. The staff were fairly efficient (by East African standards,) friendly, and helpful. The hotel itself is reasonable - the rooms are a little dated now, but maintained to a good standard. The hotel internet connection is poor so don't plan on doing any Skype video-calling during your stay, but that is an endemic problem in Tanzania rather than the fault of the hotel. The pool area is good but not luxurious, and the area by the outdoor pizza oven had a slight sewage odour at low-tide which was off-putting. In summary, it's a good hotel if visiting Dar es Salaam on business, and being in Oyster Bay means you avoid the worst of the traffic in the city itself.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank gflyons
RoderickPeck, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Dar es Salaam-Oysterbay, responded to this review, August 2, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to send us a Trip Advisor review.

I'm pleased that you had an enjoyable stay with and found our Hotel and our Team here to be of a good standard, helpful and friendly.

I'm sorry that you had some connectivity issues whilst you were here. We do provide both Wi-Fi and broadband connections, which give us more options, and also have IT assistance available at most hours of the day. Perhaps when you visit again we can see if we can assist a little more with your requirements.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the Double Tree on you next visit to Dar es Salaam.

Arlington, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2013

The hotel was magnificent looking. The staff is very helpful and friendly. I really enjoyed my time at the Doubletree Hotel on Oyster Bay. I would definitely recommend this hotel to all that come to Dar Es Salaam.

Dear Guest,

Thank you for placing a post with Trip Advisor. Its always nice to receive such positive comments.

I'm delighted that you had such a great stay with us whist you were visiting Dar es Salaam, and so pleased that you enjoyed our hotel, and the helpfulness and friendliness of our Team. I shall pass on your comments to all.

I do hope to be able to welcome you again to the Double Tree on your next visit.

Dar Es Salaam, Tanzania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2013

Beautiful ocean views within beautiful surroundings, excellent location as Slipway is within walking distance. Breakfast selection is good, hotel & rooms are clean, cleaning staff trustworthy and friendly, excellent WI-FI. Tip: Always ask for a sea facing room, the view is too beautiful to miss.

1 Thank Campbell C
Dear Guest,

Thank you so very much for taking the time to write to us through Trip Advisor. Feed back is so important.

I very happy that you had such an enjoyable stay with us and delighted that you liked our hotel and its surroundings so much. Its also great to hear that you enjoyed our extensive breakfast and free Wi-Fi connection.

I do hope you will visit with us again at The Double Tree, when you are next in Dar es Salaam.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2013

The Hilton DoubleTree in Oysterbay Dar es Salaam is a great hotel to stay in, the views at sunset are wonderful and it is located close enough to some shops and a market to be very convenient. Having stayed at other hotels in the area I enjoyed my stay there more mainly because of the location at the seaside. Although prove-wise it is a bit expensive, the location makes up for that. Service can be a bit slow and sometimes the language barrier can be a factor, but overall it is a comfortable and safe hotel to stay in.

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on Trip Advisor. It is always so useful to receive feed back from our visitors.

I'm delighted you had such an enjoyable stay with us, and found our location so much to your liking, with the beach front and proximity to shops and other facilities.

I do, however, apologise that on some occasions you found a slight speed and language issue.
Please be assured that we are working very hard on all aspects of our service and that I hope by the next time you visit us again you will be able to see improvement.

Once again, thank you for your comments.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2013

I stayed at the Hilton Doubletree for three weeks. I have travelled to Dar es Salaam several times and this was my first time staying at the Doubletree. In the past, I have stayed at the Sea Cliff. I enjoyed my stay. The rooms are clean. The staff are extremely helpful, especially Hassan who was all smiles and always so helpful. The pros: very friendly staff, very large rooms with great ocean views, nice décor, very comfortable beds, close to Slipway for souvenirs and dining, a huge lobby to relax or work using the free Wi-Fi (Wi-Fi is better in the lobby than in the rooms), breakfast buffet with a great selection, sizeable pool area with activities such as the Friday night buffet and pizza by the pool and a terrace which offers light snacks and drinks. Cons: The bathrooms need to be updated along with the linens (dingy at times), water pressure is low and menu food in the restaurant was just okay. If they updated the bathrooms, I would definitely consider staying again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with an oceanview on the high floor.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
RoderickPeck, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Dar es Salaam-Oysterbay, responded to this review, July 27, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on Trip Advisor, feed back is always so very much appreciated.

I am delighted to hear that during your extended stay with us that you found our Team to be so helpful and friendly, and is also nice to hear Hassan get a mention by name. I shall thank him personally again, on your behalf.
It is also very pleasing to hear that you thought our location excellent and enjoyed our large rooms, comfortable beds, bountiful breakfasts, as well as our Friday Night entertainment.
We do have a lovely pool and garden area, and it is always appreciated by our guests.

I am sorry to hear that you found our bathrooms disappointing, however, I'm happy to announce that these are well past the planning stage to be renovated. I would hope that by the time you return I will be able to show you our new design, with walk in showers and upgraded facilities.

Once again thank you for your post and I look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel on your next visit.

A TripAdvisor Member
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2013

Basic services available, but do not expect the famous cookies, none were ever available for my stay. Roaches and other bugs were crawling throughout my room and bathroom. Bed was comfortable. Cleaning staff would come into the room multiple times during the day-it was evident that people had been in my room all through the day.

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

RoderickPeck, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Dar es Salaam-Oysterbay, responded to this review, July 19, 2013
Dear Guest,

Can I please apologise for the lack of service you received on your recent stay with us. I have investigated this fully and can assure you that we will do all in our power to ensure this will not occur again.

At the Double Tree, we take our Pest Control very seriously and the section of ground floor rooms that you stayed in are treated on a weekly basis, as are all of our ground and first floor areas. We also treat every bedroom, public area and even storage space in the hotel on a 30 day cycle. This has proved to be a very successful system and I can only say sorry, that in your case it proved less than 100% successful.

With the Cookies, I really don't know what to say. We have then available, and I am so sorry that you were unable to receive them. I shall make you a personal promise, that If you are able to stay with us again, not only will you most definitely receive your Cookie on arrival, but that I will have a Cookie Box prepared for you. I hope then, that you will be able to also share these with some family and friends on your return home.

I do hope to be able to welcome you back, and show to you that this is not a normal occurrence.