“Experience with Double tree at Dar es Salaam”

DoubleTree by Hilton Dar es Salaam-Oysterbay
Ranked #5 of 96 Hotels in Dar es Salaam
Reviewed July 16, 2013

Basic services available, but do not expect the famous cookies, none were ever available for my stay. Roaches and other bugs were crawling throughout my room and bathroom. Bed was comfortable. Cleaning staff would come into the room multiple times during the day-it was evident that people had been in my room all through the day.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton
RoderickPeck, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Dar es Salaam-Oysterbay, responded to this reviewResponded July 19, 2013

Dear Guest,

Can I please apologise for the lack of service you received on your recent stay with us. I have investigated this fully and can assure you that we will do all in our power to ensure this will not occur again.

At the Double Tree, we take our Pest Control very seriously and the section of ground floor rooms that you stayed in are treated on a weekly basis, as are all of our ground and first floor areas. We also treat every bedroom, public area and even storage space in the hotel on a 30 day cycle. This has proved to be a very successful system and I can only say sorry, that in your case it proved less than 100% successful.

With the Cookies, I really don't know what to say. We have then available, and I am so sorry that you were unable to receive them. I shall make you a personal promise, that If you are able to stay with us again, not only will you most definitely receive your Cookie on arrival, but that I will have a Cookie Box prepared for you. I hope then, that you will be able to also share these with some family and friends on your return home.

I do hope to be able to welcome you back, and show to you that this is not a normal occurrence.

There are newer reviews for DoubleTree by Hilton Dar es Salaam-Oysterbay

Reviewed July 8, 2013

Double Tree by Hilton is the Hotel I stayed. I used the Hotel for meeting as well as for lodging. The service provided by the Hotel is really of high quality. The staff of the Hotel are also very hospitable. I found my stay at the Hotel really a great experience. The location of the Hotel is one of interesting attraction. The food is numerous to chose from and any person from any country has something to delight with.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Fayissa Worku C
RoderickPeck, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Dar es Salaam-Oysterbay, responded to this reviewResponded August 6, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write such a lovely post about are hotel.

I shall pass on your thanks to all the Team here and they will be delighted to hear your comments on our service and hospitality, as well as or food variety and location.

Reviewed July 8, 2013

For a few days in Dar es Salam, the hotel is highly recommended. The check-in procedure is frustrating as the rooms don't seem to be ready upon arrival. However once checked in the accommodation and facilities are very comfortable. Hotel used for business travel so it can be noisy with people coming and going all hours of the night.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Shale C
RoderickPeck, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Dar es Salaam-Oysterbay, responded to this reviewResponded August 7, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for placing a post with Trip Advisor. Its always nice to receive feedback

I'm delighted that in general you had a great stay with us whist you were visiting Dar es Salaam.
However, I must apologise for the fact that your room was not ready on arrival. We always try and accommodate guests whenever they arrive, but our official check in time is 2pm. Before this guests will sometimes be slightly delayed. I do hope this was not too much of an inconvenience.

I do hope to be able to welcome you again to the Double Tree on your next visit to Tanzania.

Reviewed July 7, 2013

Generally Double Tree is a very good hotel. I had an excellent view of the ocean and the rooms were well curtained, so I had good sleep at nights and very quiet environment to work. My only issue was with internet connectivity and language as I thought for such a big hotel, one would expect good English speakers if not excellent given the size and the clientele of the hotel. I found that my bill and my order was mixed up several times because of language and the waiters did not ask for clarification. However, I was quick to notice this and was quick to ask if the waiter had understood the order. Overall, this is a very good hotel, well positioned to cater for those who want to enjoy quiet and at times visit the noise. Perhaps the hotel might in future try to organise for it's own buses to ferry passengers to and from the airport.

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton
RoderickPeck, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Dar es Salaam-Oysterbay, responded to this reviewResponded August 8, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for posting your review on Trip Advisor. We really do appreciate it, as it is an excellent way for us to continually improve our performance.

I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and loved our location and great views of the ocean. However, I am sorry that you had issues with connectivity. We do have support available on site and I hope that when you do visit us again that we will be able to assist you. I also apologise regarding the difficulty that you sometimes experienced in communication. I can assure you that my Management Team, who are all fluent English speakers, are working on this and I am sure we will see improvements in this area.

For transfers, we do have them available and are bookable from Reception.

Once again thank you for writing, and I shall look forward to welcoming you back to the Double Tree when you next return to Dar es Salaam.

Reviewed July 7, 2013

We booked 2 nights on a business trip at the Doubletree in Dar.
We arrived rather late, I was checked in to a room near the fire escape.
From 1 am till about 2:30 am it sounded like someone was moving furniture in the rooms above me.
At 2:30 am I called reception to investigate and to stop the noise, as I had a busy day the next day. 30 min passed and the noise just got worse. Eventually, at 3 am, I investigated where the noise was coming from.... I found people carrying metal frames (used to build stages) up and down the stairs. As the hotel only have tiled floors the noise just goes through the whole building. I discovered that this hotel has a conference room on the top floor…. BAD IDEA!!!

I asked to speak to the Duty manager. Of course there was none.
I asked to be moved to a quiet room, they moved me to 315, a room right above the entrance (smelling of smoke). Since I was wide awake at that stage (4 am), I could hear the taxis and trucks outside my room, as they stop and leave the hotel entrance. If this was a quiet room I was damned!
The next morning I ask to speak to the GM, who was not there... I explained my experience to the desk manager who promised to have me moved to a better room. I arrived back that afternoon, to find that I am still booked in the same old smokey room... well at this stage I was not surprised.
I was then moved to a room in the front block, which was more quiet, except for the never ending violin music playing in the hallways (which you can clearly hear in your room, the WHOLE NIGHT). Talking of torture by violins!! When I checked out the next day (gladly), I was asked "how was your stay?" I could not believe I was still being asked this question (after changing 3 rooms in 2 days!). I explained my experience (again), to which a manager offered me free transfer to the airport. I travel to ALOT of hotels for business. This hotel would never see me again.
PS, 2 of the 3 rooms had long black hair on the bathroom tiles....

Room Tip: what a noise hell!
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank manchilen
RoderickPeck, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Dar es Salaam-Oysterbay, responded to this reviewResponded July 10, 2013

Dear Sir,

Please allow me to apologise for the lack of service that you received during your stay with us.

I have followed up your comments and will ensure that we do perform at a much higher level than we have shown you on this stay. We did indeed have an outside contractors firm moving equipment in the early hours after a function, and I have now contacted them to ensure this does not happen again. It has not been an issue in the past I believe, and the steps taken should prevent this from occurring again. I have also informed my Night Manager to be more proactive in dealing with this type of situation.

The second night with the Violin music, I again must really apologise. The music system is on a timer, and this was thrown out due to a power cut earlier. There is a manual checking system also, but this failed to identify this problem. Again, I have now reiterated the importance of this double check at Management level.

I also understand that you found yourself unable to contact either myself or any Manager onsite.
I can assure you that we do have a Duty Manager present 24 hours a day, and that I am also contactable at all stages. This has been explained to all my Team.

I do hope you will accept my sincerest apologies for these problems you have experienced. This is not our normal standard, and I do hope that you will stay with us again in the future so that I may meet you in person and show you how much better we can perform.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed July 1, 2013

I've stayed at the DoubleTree on three separate occasions, and whilst the service was always up to standard the rooms were very different on each occasion.

Pro's:
+ location
+ near good pubs and restaurants (slipway)
+ Nice spread at breakfast
+ Lovely pool area/ garden
+ Friendly staff

Cons:
- In the lower rooms, the wifi is frustratingly slow, especially the room under the walkway.
- rooms in the 600 range are very humid and often smell funky.

Room Tip: Sea View & the higher up the better!
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to place a post with Trip Advisor. Its always nice to receive feedback

I'm delighted that in general you had a good stay with us whist you were visiting Dar es Salaam, enjoying our location, great breakfasts and friendly staff. However, I must apologise for the poor Wi-Fi connection and musty smell. I do hope that when you return, we will be able to assist you a little more with getting a better signal. I shall investigate this room and ensure that what ever smell you encountered is completely eradicated.

I do hope to be able to welcome you again to the Double Tree on your next visit.

Reviewed June 30, 2013

Looking for a good business hotel located close to good restaurants - this is it. Clean and efficient with a nice location overlooking the sea. Although outside the city centre, a 15-20 minute ride even in rush hour traffic gets you into the heart of Dar es Salaam. Would recommend this hotel and I travel to Dar es Salaam monthly and have stayed in most of the 4-5 star hotels there.

Dear Guest,

Thank you for placing a post with Trip Advisor. Its always nice to receive such comments.

I'm delighted that you had such a comfortable stay with us whist you were visiting Dar es Salaam, and so pleased that you enjoyed our hotel and it's location, and delighted that you enjoyed our efficient service