“what a dump!”

DoubleTree by Hilton Dar es Salaam-Oysterbay
Ranked #5 of 96 Hotels in Dar es Salaam
Reviewed July 7, 2013

We booked 2 nights on a business trip at the Doubletree in Dar.
We arrived rather late, I was checked in to a room near the fire escape.
From 1 am till about 2:30 am it sounded like someone was moving furniture in the rooms above me.
At 2:30 am I called reception to investigate and to stop the noise, as I had a busy day the next day. 30 min passed and the noise just got worse. Eventually, at 3 am, I investigated where the noise was coming from.... I found people carrying metal frames (used to build stages) up and down the stairs. As the hotel only have tiled floors the noise just goes through the whole building. I discovered that this hotel has a conference room on the top floor…. BAD IDEA!!!

I asked to speak to the Duty manager. Of course there was none.
I asked to be moved to a quiet room, they moved me to 315, a room right above the entrance (smelling of smoke). Since I was wide awake at that stage (4 am), I could hear the taxis and trucks outside my room, as they stop and leave the hotel entrance. If this was a quiet room I was damned!
The next morning I ask to speak to the GM, who was not there... I explained my experience to the desk manager who promised to have me moved to a better room. I arrived back that afternoon, to find that I am still booked in the same old smokey room... well at this stage I was not surprised.
I was then moved to a room in the front block, which was more quiet, except for the never ending violin music playing in the hallways (which you can clearly hear in your room, the WHOLE NIGHT). Talking of torture by violins!! When I checked out the next day (gladly), I was asked "how was your stay?" I could not believe I was still being asked this question (after changing 3 rooms in 2 days!). I explained my experience (again), to which a manager offered me free transfer to the airport. I travel to ALOT of hotels for business. This hotel would never see me again.
PS, 2 of the 3 rooms had long black hair on the bathroom tiles....

Room Tip: what a noise hell!
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank manchilen
RoderickPeck, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Dar es Salaam-Oysterbay, responded to this reviewResponded July 10, 2013

Dear Sir,

Please allow me to apologise for the lack of service that you received during your stay with us.

I have followed up your comments and will ensure that we do perform at a much higher level than we have shown you on this stay. We did indeed have an outside contractors firm moving equipment in the early hours after a function, and I have now contacted them to ensure this does not happen again. It has not been an issue in the past I believe, and the steps taken should prevent this from occurring again. I have also informed my Night Manager to be more proactive in dealing with this type of situation.

The second night with the Violin music, I again must really apologise. The music system is on a timer, and this was thrown out due to a power cut earlier. There is a manual checking system also, but this failed to identify this problem. Again, I have now reiterated the importance of this double check at Management level.

I also understand that you found yourself unable to contact either myself or any Manager onsite.
I can assure you that we do have a Duty Manager present 24 hours a day, and that I am also contactable at all stages. This has been explained to all my Team.

I do hope you will accept my sincerest apologies for these problems you have experienced. This is not our normal standard, and I do hope that you will stay with us again in the future so that I may meet you in person and show you how much better we can perform.

Kind Regards,

There are newer reviews for DoubleTree by Hilton Dar es Salaam-Oysterbay

Reviewed July 1, 2013

I've stayed at the DoubleTree on three separate occasions, and whilst the service was always up to standard the rooms were very different on each occasion.

Pro's:
+ location
+ near good pubs and restaurants (slipway)
+ Nice spread at breakfast
+ Lovely pool area/ garden
+ Friendly staff

Cons:
- In the lower rooms, the wifi is frustratingly slow, especially the room under the walkway.
- rooms in the 600 range are very humid and often smell funky.

Room Tip: Sea View & the higher up the better!
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
RoderickPeck, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Dar es Salaam-Oysterbay, responded to this reviewResponded August 7, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to place a post with Trip Advisor. Its always nice to receive feedback

I'm delighted that in general you had a good stay with us whist you were visiting Dar es Salaam, enjoying our location, great breakfasts and friendly staff. However, I must apologise for the poor Wi-Fi connection and musty smell. I do hope that when you return, we will be able to assist you a little more with getting a better signal. I shall investigate this room and ensure that what ever smell you encountered is completely eradicated.

I do hope to be able to welcome you again to the Double Tree on your next visit.

Reviewed June 30, 2013

Looking for a good business hotel located close to good restaurants - this is it. Clean and efficient with a nice location overlooking the sea. Although outside the city centre, a 15-20 minute ride even in rush hour traffic gets you into the heart of Dar es Salaam. Would recommend this hotel and I travel to Dar es Salaam monthly and have stayed in most of the 4-5 star hotels there.

Dear Guest,

Thank you for placing a post with Trip Advisor. Its always nice to receive such comments.

I'm delighted that you had such a comfortable stay with us whist you were visiting Dar es Salaam, and so pleased that you enjoyed our hotel and it's location, and delighted that you enjoyed our efficient service

Reviewed June 29, 2013

Pick up at the airport was on time....
Check in was the fastest I've ever seen....
the Cookie at check in was wonderful, I would like it next time they send a BOX of cookies to every room...
Room was very big... seems old though... everything seemed old... NOT Bad.. just old
the bathroom seems to be worn out.. everything works... but just seems old.. (needs a facelift)
the free wifi through out the hotel was a great bonus..
the property it self is beautiful.. the green spaces. the terrace, right on the water....
the staff is very friendly...
the hallways in the second outside building seems to have a unpleasing smell to them... and the lighting was very low- needs more light
The breakfast was good.. not great... more variety would be nice...
The restaurant during dinner was below average... I ordered a steak and asked for it "Medium" however It was very WELL DONE... and I honestly didn't want to make a big fuss as it would only delay my meal further...
the Pizza by the pool was so plain.. it just tasted like bread and tomato sauce..

overall nothing major to complain about.. however given the wonderfull location of the hotel it really needs a facelift to bring it up to 2013...

Room Tip: Get a room in the outside building with a pool view....
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
RoderickPeck, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Dar es Salaam-Oysterbay, responded to this reviewResponded August 8, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post you're review on Trip Advisor. We really do appreciate the feedback that this gives.

I'm delighted that you found our arrival process to be so quick and efficient and that you so enjoyed the Cookie. It is one of our Double Tree signatures. I am also delighted that you enjoyed our location and our friendly Team. We do try and make all our guests feel at home.

I shall speak to my Head Chef regarding your comments on our food. It appears that we have dropped in our standard whilst serving you and this is not acceptable.

On a more positive note I can confirm to you that we do have a bathroom refurbishment planned and with this I'm sure that you see that we are constantly working on keeping ourselves up to date.

Once again thank you for writing into us.

Reviewed June 27, 2013

There are some trips which are best forgotten. My stay at the Doubletree in Dar ranks as the most miserable hotel experiences I have suffered in a long time. I arrived to check in to be asked "did you already check out?" by a disinterested front desk clerk. It turns out I had made a mistake with my booking and had been a "no show" for the night before. So I was charged a one night "cancellation fee" of $255, money completely wasted with no possibility of a waiver or a discount from the duty manager, who just shrugged at me when I asked.

But then could I stay the second of my two night stay? "No, the hotel is full tomorrow night, we'll put you a waitlisting list and tell you if we can find a room free after 9am". So I have paid for two nights, but only got to stay one and had to check out and go downtown for the second night. What a joke.

The nonsense continued. Room 109 has the noisiest air conditioning ever. Forget sleep quality unless you have earplugs. The door key stopped working so I had to go down to reception and get it changed. I left my Blackberry charger in the room after I checked out and that's gone. I have not heard anything from housekeeping. The treadmill in the gym needs servicing and you can't run fast on it. The dining room is a ghost room with barely any guests. I went out at 8pm and had to walk to the security gate to get a cab as the doorman had disappeared (not what you expect at a four star). Then the power went out several times which trips the WiFi router.

A horrible stay, and whilst the "lost night" was my own fault, the other issues I experienced suggest pretty weak management and poor oversight of the property. kuaga mbaya hoteli, as they say in Swahili. On the upside the hotel is close to a lot of businesses in the energy and mining sector and the views over the bay are lovely.

Room Tip: Room 109 is large and roomy but has a very noisy air con

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on Trip Advisor.

Please allow me to apologise for the lack of service that you received on your recent stay with us.
Can I please assure you that this is by no means our normal standard and all the incidents experienced will be investigated and measures put in place to ensure we do not fall short again.

I have recently arrived as the new General Manager, and I shall work with my team on all the points raised and ensure that we perform at a much higher standard from now on.

Reviewed June 22, 2013

Cons - room was in poor condition, no separate shower, noisey, room service was poor, lighting was bad, and room smelled. Pros - soft bed, decent security, great view, and they provided two bottles of water each day

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton
RoderickPeck, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Dar es Salaam-Oysterbay, responded to this reviewResponded August 6, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on Trip Advisor. Your feedback is much appreciated.

Please let me apologies that you felt we fell short of some of your expectations of our Hotel. It seems that you found our rooms to be of a lower standard, and I shall follow up to ensure that we did not in your case drop below our usually high level of service. On a more positive note I am delighted that you enjoyed our grounds and our large beds. I am also happy to inform you that we will in the future be putting in new stand alone showers which I am sure you would prefer.

I do hope that you will visit with us again when you are in Dar es Salaam and give us the opportunity to show you that this was not our normal standard.

Reviewed June 15, 2013

This is the second time that I have stayed at this hotel with a very positive experience. Immaculately maintained facility, friendly and helpful staff; and, abundantly diverse breakfast options. Internet connect was reliable and of good quality. Request for assistance were responded to promptly. Restaurant staff were efficient and remembered me and my preferences. It was a pleasure to stay at this hotel.

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton
Judd L, Regional Director: Operations at DoubleTree by Hilton Dar es Salaam-Oysterbay, responded to this reviewResponded June 17, 2013

Dear Betty Lou
Thank You for your continued loyalty to our property. It is excellent to have happy, satisfied guests. Your comments are greatly appreciated and it would be a pleasure to meet with you on your next visit. Your positive contribution makes all of the Team want to try harder to have all our guests feel the same as you.