“The Doubletree has very good points”

DoubleTree by Hilton Dar es Salaam-Oysterbay
Ranked #5 of 96 Hotels in Dar es Salaam
Reviewed October 16, 2012

I stayed at the Doubletree Dar es Salaam while on a two week business trip in late September. The rooms are very spacious and clean with with a large comfortable bed, tv and good air con. There were good quality toiletries and fresh bottled water replenished every day. There is an electronic safe which is easy to programme and use. The room was cleaned very well daily and the laundry service was excellent and very quick. The food in the restaurant was great at breakfast time with lots of variety and freshly cooked choices, however it was dissapointing at dinner time, a limited menu, food served cold and un chewable meat! However, the pizzas at the pool side were good as was the tandoori chicken. Overall I thought the service and overall ambience of the hotel was very good and very suitable for business travellers.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
Sven L, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Dar es Salaam-Oysterbay, responded to this reviewResponded October 26, 2012

Thank you for your positive feedback, you are right our rooms are indeed spacious and clean with WIFI. Our priority is to provide the best quality and standards in our rooms. I recommend that you try our sea view rooms during your next stay.

In regards to the menu, we have informed the Kitchen team and they have apologized for the inconvenience caused. They are currently working on providing a variety of food to cater for the demand of the guests.

We look forward to your next stay with us.

Yours sincerely,

There are newer reviews for DoubleTree by Hilton Dar es Salaam-Oysterbay

Reviewed October 14, 2012

This is an average hotel and the other trip advisor reviews leave me mystified.
The furniture is dated, the TVs old and the bathrooms are in serious need of need of refurbishment. I ordered a grilled cheese and tomato sandwich and received a sandwich with toasted bread, literally dripping in mayonnaise, with room temperature tomato and cheese.
The breakfast is fine. The made to order eggs are good, but I found the canned fruit unappealing and the cereal stale. The gym is open 24 hours, but the equipment is limited and also not of top quality. There is not an ATM on site (there is a Barclay's in the neighboring Slipaway shopping complex (a 10-min walk outside the grounds). On the plus side, there is free wifi and the hotel is clean and secure and most of the staff I encoutered were friendly. The outdoor areas are well maintained. Unfortunately, my room faces a car park so I have a less than great view.

I was in Dar es Salaam earlier this summer on business and stayed at the Sea Cliff Hotel -- a far superior property (in all areas) and a better choice for those traveling on business (with an ATM on site, free wifi, many areas to lounge or work, and more dining options. This time around I chose to stay at the Doubletree for my Hilton Honor Club points. The hotel is simply not worth the points and I'll book myself at the Sea Cliff on my next stay.

Room Tip: request a room with a bay view (vs. a car park view)
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed October 8, 2012

Spent one night at the Doubletree before heading home from a 3 week safari-beach holiday. The hotel, grounds and rooms are beautiful and the staff was excellent. Had a bay front room that offered great views of the bay and hotel grounds. Highly recommend this property

Room Tip: Try for an upper floor room as some of the lower floors look into the restaurant or the back of the...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Sven L, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Dar es Salaam-Oysterbay, responded to this reviewResponded November 5, 2012

I see my earlier post was not relayed to you. It is indeed true that we have a very beautiful view of the Indian Ocean on our Bay view rooms , we are situated in the shores of the Oysterbay.
I hope you had the opportunity to sample our delicious pizzas at the Pool Bar as well as use our outdoor fresh water swimming pool.

During you next stay i recommend that you contact our guest relations desk for information on our sorrounding attractions. We look forward to you next stay with us.

Yours Sincerely,

Sven L.

Reviewed October 4, 2012

This hotel was Amazing. A beautiful pool with beautiful scenery a stunning jetty. Staff are very polite and very fast and very intelligent. Overall I rate this five out of five. Make sure you stay here.

• Stayed: March 2012
Reviewed September 23, 2012

This is a gem of a hotel with very friendly & attentive staff. The location for me was excellent, whilst visiting family who live locally, and my excellent 5th floor room gave very nice views of the bay. As a HHonors Gold member I got an exceptional upgrade, which was of course very much appreciated.

I didn't have an opportunity to use the restaurant, but the cappuccino I had in the lounge was one of the best I've ever had.

The pool was very pleasant and clean, with a nice poolside bar, with food served in the evening in the pool area with a band which added pleasantly to the atmosphere. My young nephew's that visited just loved the children's pool and the jetty.

Overall a most enjoyable experience and thank you to the management for that.

Reviewed September 19, 2012

Went there for a business meeting. Overall it was good. It was clean and well kept. Room was nice. Caters to Americans with common food and hotel style. There are two markets next store, the farther one, about 500 feet is upscale more finished. The one right next to the hotel is local style shops. Don't miss the tinga tinga paintings in the back wall. Some are better than others.

Reviewed September 16, 2012

I stayed at the Doubletree for business- hands down the most beautiful view from the pool deck and the long area which extends out into the bay-making for excellent opportunities to work and eat outside and as a single woman I was never hassled. The staff and very responsive and friendly, breakfast excellent and efficient (i had to leave at 7am each morning). Very reliable generator during power outages and internet (with one exception when they had a big conference) was free and pretty rapid (enough for non-video skype chats). A 2 minute walk to Slipway where there is a good grocery store for snacks and restaurants as well as some shopping. Only complaint is that the rooms in the second building on the lower floors (6 and 7 in particular, a little for 8) are quite musty and work needs to be done to decrease the moldy smell for those rooms. Nice pool although with a structure in the middle and decent fitness (2 treadmills, bike, eliipitical type and some weight machines and free weights

Room Tip: ASk for higher than 8 in the second building or stay in the main building. OCean view is ideal.