“proper western standard hotel”

DoubleTree by Hilton Dar es Salaam-Oysterbay
Ranked #5 of 97 Hotels in Dar es Salaam
Reviewed February 22, 2012

I've now stayed in a few hotels of varying standards in Tanzania, one trip in October on Honeymoon and just this month on business. As a hotel for a business trip this is ideal although I found the internet a little unreliable.
The rooms are generally very good and clean. They are spacious and everything works. All the services are good and attentive. There's a nice pool bar area. The gym is a bit small and I didn't feel too safe on the treadmill but if that's all I have to complain about then they're not doing bad.
I wasn't paying for it myself so wasn't too bothered about the cost and I didn't eat in the hotel bar breakfast which was good.
Staff are very friendly too. I'd definitely recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: sea view rooms might come at a premium but there is a nice view.
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank robscott101

Reviewed February 20, 2012

I spent a week at the Doubletree in Oyster Bay/Dar es Salaam for business and found it to have very nice accommodations. The staff was lovely and very helpful, especially the housekeeping, desk staff, and concierge (Kassim was outstanding and went above and beyond to be sure I got my ferry ticket to Zanzibar). The room was comfortable, the grounds quite beautiful, and I felt very safe and secure. The hotel is right next to the Slipway with food, bank, ATM etc. It isn't in the city center so, since we were working all week, it was hard to see more of the city, but being near the water every day made up for that... Recommend eating on the marble patio for sunset: Very beautiful views.

One note: the water in the shower gets very very hot and is hard to get the right temperature. One could easily be scalded, especially kids.

Room Tip: Ask for a view of the water!
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed February 18, 2012

As a frequent traveler, I have learned that not all Hilton properties are the same quality or standard, even within the same brand. What better way to be greeted from a long way from home and after a long trip than with the Doubletree brand chocolate chip cookie. It put me in a much better mood from the torturous traffic from the airport. Better mood = engaging with the front desk personnel with a much more friendlier attitude. This hotel beats the competition in town by a long shot. I particularly liked that the restaurant was inside which means little or no pesky flies or bugs visiting with the meal. I mention this because the hotel on the other side of the peninsula has open restaurant which presents a problem with flies and insects landing in the food. The swimming pool here is very nice and large. I liked the hotel's solution to overcoming the smell of the bay at low tide and the surrounding smelly neighbors. Food was very good here at this hotel both in the restaurant and pool side. The chef is not from Tanzania - perhaps from South Africa. The breakfast buffet contained a large variety of food and the pastries were delicious. My hotel overlooked the bay but was partially obstructed by one of the wings of the hotel. The hotel clerk smartly informed me of this at check in and offered an alternative. The obstruction was inconsequential and really didn't detract from the view all that much. Since I worked all day long, this was not a bother or that important to me as a business traveler. I recommend this hotel over all the others in Dar Es Salaam.

Room Tip: Be sure to ask for a room with an unobstructed view of the bay
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed January 30, 2012

Stayed at the Double Tree for a meeting. It is a relatively new hotel located near Slipway (shopping and dining), but bit removed from anything else. There is a nice marble patio overlooking the bay where you can get a drink, some light food and shisha (water pipe) if so inclined. The pool looked nice, although I did not use it. Be careful about ordering hard liquor drinks (gin, scotch, etc). Their single is about half of what one would get anywhere else. The double is more like a single. There is one restaurant in the hotel serving breakfast and lunch buffet. It is pretty tasty, but not as good as the Seacliff in my opinion.

As mentioned in the title, it is 100 meters from Slipway shopping/dining center where you can get native crafts, mobile phone stuff and some bites to eat. There is a nice restaurant (forget the name!) that is very good but mostly for foreigners. I also tried a restaurant next to it more for the locals, and it was not bad. A meal with fish, rice and a drink cost about $4. The other restaurant was much more expensive, but still not too bad. My meal of BBQ ribs (very good!) with a couple of beers was about $20.

So back to the hotel, the front desk was friendly and efficient. The first room I had was in the annex building on the first floor and it smelled of mildew. In fact the entire first floor smelled of mildew so I requested a change and was put on the smoking floor. Surprisingly, it was not bad at all and I have a very sensitive nose. The view was definitely better since there were no trees to block the bay view. Definitely try to get the bay facing rooms. The other side faces the back of the main building - not so nice.

The room was nice, with marble floor, decent TV with good selection of channels, good WIFI connection and a large bathroom. The king bed was comfortable.

Would I stay here again? If I had a choice, I think I would prefer the Seacliff - there is more stuff nearby. However, The Double Tree is certainly more than adequate.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed January 16, 2012

I was nervouse about this trip to began with but felt at ease knowing we were going to be staying at a Hilton Property ... during our stay we were very well taken care of. We had a few small issues but they all were resolved fast and efficiently by who I thought was the general manager but turned out to be the food and beverage manager . Small things like remembering our name and saying hi when he saw us made us feel valued and taken care of. In short nice Hotel with great customer service I would highly recommend it.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 15, 2012

Great hotel to stay. The room we had was very clean and overlooked the pool area. The friendly staff made me feel very welcome, especially Adam. He went out of his way to solve any issues i had throughout the entire week. I would definitely recommend this hotel and stay here again in the future.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 12, 2012

The ambiance of the hotel is good and so is the location.. But I certainly feel that it is not up to the standards of Hilton Hotels.. It occurred to me at two instances. 1. Our company had organized a private event at the ball room. The staff was really good but the food was unfortunately real bad which was a great turn off to all the guests. I don't know why but this is one of the problems with the hotels in Dar-es-salaam. The second event occurred when we went to Hilton for coffee on a Saturday night. The waiters were not trained professionally at all!! We asked the waiter to bring Cafe Mocha, instead he brought Cappuccino and that too after 30 mins. It was certainly extremely annoying!

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business