“Great hotel”

DoubleTree by Hilton Dar es Salaam-Oysterbay
Ranked #5 of 96 Hotels in Dar es Salaam
Reviewed September 15, 2011

Good service, excellent business facilities, clean tidy rooms, good restaurant and as good a location as you can find in Dar

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank Colin L

Reviewed September 12, 2011

So the pizzas in the bar were good ... (and I went with an Italian) and they arrived in less than 40 minutes. Actually the fun started in reception, when they told me I had no room. Then they kindly gave me someone else's room (fortunately the person was out, but their baggage was in ... ). Finally I got a room - and it had a nice view of the pool. The road to the hotel was a bit like something out of a futuristic horror film - and one of my friends advised not to walk around after dark - since one of his friends was nearly put in the sea. However, in general the hotel was clean and tidy, and as long as you don't need anything doing its fine. I wouldn't recommend staying there though - there must be better places

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank GenevaBeaver
Reviewed August 28, 2011

We were very disappointed to arrive at the hotel and be told that the type of room we had booked and paid for (King sized bed with sea view) was unavailable, the only room with a view available was with twin beds and a balcony, the view being over the swimming pool as opposed to the sea. The hotel is clean and spacious offering everything you need for a business trip. The swimming pool is not enormous but as it was rarely being used it wasn't too much of a problem. We found the service at the outside bars and eating areas slow, in the majority of cases we had to go and find a waiter to order and ultimately to pay for drinks and meals. Beds are comfortable, airconditioners effective and all amenities that you would expect of a Hilton hotel made for an enjoyable stay. Allow plenty of time to get to the airport, it took us 2.5 hours!

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the sea.
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank SANDJAW
Reviewed August 25, 2011

We stayed here for one night at the beginning of our holiday and it was perfect for a quick stop over before going on to our Safari in Selous.

It took about half an hour from the airport in a taxi.

The service was brilliant, the staff were friendly. The room was very comfortable and huge and had everything we needed. The pool area was impressive and the restaurant at the end of the pontoon looked lovely (we weren't allowed down there because of a function). We had pizza but I think there was other food available but that wasn't really clear and no one explained how the different areas were sectioned off.

We didn't have time to look around the area because we were only there for one night. I don't think there is very much around there though - however, this is just based on our taxi journey.

Overall, perfect for a quick stop over. We are not really resort people so I don't think we would have enjoyed our stay as much if we were there for a long time.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ClaireStrong
Reviewed August 10, 2011

I stayed here for one night in April - my company had pre-paid for the room and had the booking number for when i checked in. On checking in everything seemed to be ok - the reception staff accepted the room was prepaid but asked me to sign a form regarding room payments anyway. They also took my credit card details in case of additional costs etc. On check-out i paid for all additonal bills - food etc using the card. However on returning from my trip and checking my bank account i noticed that my credit card had been charged for the room as well but in a seperate transaction to the food bills (and this transaction was made 2 days after i had checked out) and without my authorisation - additionally the transaction was to a Nungwi Village beach resort and not to Doubletree Hotel. I am now in a long winded fraud investigation with my bank. To be honest it is not worth the hassle staying here again. I have stayed at a lot of hotels through-out Tanzania, Kenya and Zambia had have never experienced this before and i am suprised that this has happened at a well know hotel chain such as Hilton/Doubletree.

Stayed: April 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed August 4, 2011

I stayed here for 7 days on a buisness trip and it was a really nice hotel. The beds were great and the services was really good. The staff was very helpful and willing to do anything to make your stay great.

The breakfast food was really good with a lot of choices. The lunch and dinner food was more of a hit and miss. The cheif seemed to like green peppers, so they ended up in a lot of dishes. I do not like green peppers so that was not for me. But if you like them then the food is for you. But they did have other choices that were good.

I like the location because you could walk and go shopping at the slipway which also had an ATM machine. You can also arrange for pickup to and from the airport which was really nice.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank StewartMD
Reviewed August 4, 2011

What you would expect from a Hilton really. Nice big rooms with the normal hotel amenities. The view from the platform downstairs is very nice as well!

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled solo