“Good for a short visit”
Review of Safari Inn

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Dar es Salaam
Safari Inn
Ranked #42 of 95 Hotels in Dar es Salaam
Sydney
“Good for a short visit”
Reviewed December 16, 2013

I stayed for one night arriving late afternoon and leaving very early in the morning to catch a flight. This hotel lacks charm. It is very basic but on a postive note it is centrally located and clean. As another reviewer stated the beds are very hard and there are a lot of stairs to the rooms on the top floor. The room had hot water which was a bonus at this price. It suited my purposes as someone in transit (and on a tight budget) but I would not have liked to have an extended stay.

I was quoted 25,000TZS for airport pick up, which turned out to be the correct price not inflated like some hotels.

The female receptionist who checked me in was surly but in the early evening she was replaced with a friendly male. He was incredibly helpful when I discovered I had brought the incorrect power adaptor with me and organised an electrician to modify one.

I am a solo female traveller and the staff became ultra protective and seemed worried when I decided to walk to a restaurant in the afternoon (still heaps of daylight). I have been to Tanzania many time and do not feel that the area is particularly dangerous during the day (by Tanzanian standards). There are many restaurants in the nearby area. It is easy to obtain taxis and the drivers who hang around the hotel speak good English.

Room Tip: For those with mobilty issues I would not recommend a room on the top floor.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Exeter, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 4, 2013

Good value. Reasonably comfy rooms - though double bed a bit small compared to some! Breakfast nothing special. We stayed here twice (at the start and end of a 6 week trip) and the staff remembered us, which I was quite impressed with after 6 weeks! I'd recommend staying here if you have to come to Dar (though I wouldn't recommend coming to Dar unless you have to...)

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Cape Town Central, South Africa
Reviewed October 29, 2013 via mobile

The hotel is great value with clean, basic rooms and hot water. I took a room with a fan which worked great. My room did not have a mosquito net. It is also conveniently located close to good value BBQ restaurants and only a short walk to the downtown centre, ferry terminals, fish market etc. There is a TV in the common area and a computer for Internet access.

Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
dar el salamm
Reviewed October 8, 2013

Basic accommodation, breakfast included, area appears dodgy but seemed safe enough to walk around early evening in pairs. Indian quarter just down the road with good value food. No wifi apart from one computer in re rption area. Will arrange pick up from airport. We paid 17 dollars probably too much but after an all night flight and stop over it was worth it rather than haggle with taxi drivers. Our ride took over SN hour to get to hotel due to rush hour but drivers did make a detour so we could withdraw cash as airport cash points were not working

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank sue l
Victoria, Canada
Reviewed September 27, 2013

For $35 US, Safari Inn is good value. We used it after we arrived back from Zanzibar and had a 5am bus to catch the next day. Our room was clean (with no insects), had a mosquito net (contrary to some reviews and what was published in LP), and had a piping cold AC.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank joshuasmith77
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed September 14, 2013

First time we stayed here they didn't have any record of our reservation but luckily had a room available. The staff were friendly. The room was small with a view onto the wall of a nearby building. Bathroom was fine, soap and towels were supplied.

Second time we stayed on a different level and paid for 2 nights. While walking up the stairs we noticed a rat scurrying behind some trash. It didn't help either that our room was infested with cockroaches. They were even on the door handle. Slept all night with the light on to try and keep the cockroaches at bay. Next morning we packed and handed our key to the reception, told them to keep the money for the other night we had paid for.

The good thing to come out of Safari Inn was meeting the hotel's taxi driver Selim. We chartered his taxi a couple of times of trips and he was always professional.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Gracie G

Travelers are raving about these Dar es Salaam hotels

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 13, 2013

I have stayed at Safari Inn on numerous occasions this July, August and September 2013. I really recommend the place, especially if you are a solo female traveller as was I. It always felt incredibly safe, and the entrance is set back from the road through big gates. Location was in the Indian quarter which meant great food, although as with the rest of Dar it is unsuitable to walk around after 9pm on your own.
Rooms were large and had clean linen, towel, fan and circle net. No point in getting the AC unless you are there in December as the fan is sufficient! Bathrooms were basic but clean, with the shower practically on top of the Western toilet! But the water is hot and this is a luxury in Tanzania.
Plenty of powerpoints, and lights are bright enough. Breakfast is OK - toast, jam and butter, a banana, tea/coffee and passionfruit juice. But you can order other things for a small cost, which I recommend.
Communal laptop in the lobby with internet, great for checking into your flights before you leave or just saving you going to an internet cafe.
Staff are always friendly. Generally the place feels a little dark and dingy, and often there is a congregation of 8 -10 men just randomly sitting in the communal TV area which at times made me feel uncomfortable. They didn't appear to be guests, just friends of the owners, and the place sometimes smelt stale.

Apart from that a great place to stay and good value for Dar!

Room Tip: If possible get one that faces out - some have internal windows onto the corridor and it is distract...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo