“Close to the airport and a good bed”

Transit Motel Airport
Ranked #56 of 96 Hotels in Dar es Salaam
Reviewed January 12, 2012

We arrived at this hotel at 11 pm and expected the kitchen to be closed, but no way: Apparently it was open all nigtht. We had some (simple but good food), a bottle of beer, went to bed and was up 3.am in the morning. We did not see much of the hotel, but the room was clean, though very simple. (But what can you expect for 40 dollars?)
But it was much better than spending the night at an airport. (And especially the airport in Dar es Salaam wich has very little to boast of)
:-)

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank gusstav

Reviewed December 31, 2011

We stopped here since our flight from Selous brought us to Dar at 11am, and our next flight was at 5pm. Could not imagine spending 6 hours at the Dar airport, since we had been there a few days ago.

The rooms are small but clean, the bar/restaurant has some basic food items.

The free WiFi is good.

Room Tip: Do not go the the other Airport Motel, which is farther off.
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed December 30, 2011

It is across the street from Dar Es Salaam airport. But you don't want to walk on the alley as it is horrible. The hotel is gated and good to wait for an early morning flight. Room is clean but we had to kill 8 mosquito. I believe it came from the gap between the door and the floor. We tugged a towel under the gap and was ok after that. Air conditioning is great. As far as food goes, the fried chicken was actually very good, but don't expect anything higher than basic. Taxi is arranged at $5 US. It costs us very little for 6 hours stay before catching a 3 am flight via Turkish airline. I actually slept well for 3 hours. There is no point going into the city because of comments of the horrible traffic congestion.

• Stayed: December 2011
Reviewed December 29, 2011

We needed a cheap, safe, and close place to sleep for less than 8 hours before heading to Zanzibar. This place is no frills. The toilet worked, but there was a bucket of water if you needed to wash your hands or to take a makeshift shower. We didn't bother taking a shower. We also didn't bother eating anything there for breakfast. Basically, a decent and safe place to sleep. I'd stay there again.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Beyond_all_Borders
Reviewed December 21, 2011

Stayed 1 night at the transit airport motel. I had trouble booking the room due to being in a remote area of Africa. Managed to contact hotel staff and booking was made. I kept in contact with hotel to make sure my booking was still there and the day before arrival again reconfirmed and all was confirmed.
When I arrived I was told by the hotel reception that there was a problem with my booking and now no room was available. I was not happy. I asked to speak to the manager and he came to see me. After me going through the full drama with the manager they conveniently found me a room. I don't know how they managed this but I was pleased as I was traveling alone.
The room was good clean and spacious. Close to the airport and my dinner was alright nothing to rave about.
My overall opinion is that I would stay again for value and convenience but please keep an eye on your booking.
Hotel reception staff was a little icey to start with but then she came around. She had a hard job telling someone that their booking was not available but she could have handled it much more professionaly

• Stayed: December 2011
Reviewed October 9, 2011

Although I have booked over the internet, paid the USD5 depost and received a booking confirmation, neither of my two one-nights were on their system/booking register. So, the first night (1/10) we had to find alternative accommodation but the second night (8/10) they have had a bed for us. Thus, I do not trust their internet booking facility.

Although the motel is VERY VERY basic, it is close to the airport and cheap! I will stay there again, but DEFINITELY not more than one night at a time! The surroundings of the motel however is scary, but don't be put off!

Room Tip: Not sure if there are other room options available
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
rolandi, Manager at Transit Motel Airport, responded to this reviewResponded October 11, 2011

Dear Ernie,

Thank you for taking your time reviewing our Motel. We are happy that you had a pleasant experience while staying with us.

Our records shows that you booked a room for 8th Oct on 21st September. On the same day we sent a confirmation mail to you. We have not received 1st October booking information. We are following up with HostelsClub, who runs the booking facility for us, to see if the booking went through.

As you have said, our motel is designed for travelers staying for one or two nights and not a destination for a longer stay.

Roland Shayo

Reviewed October 1, 2011

Landing at Dar Es Salaam early in the morning we wanted somewhere to spend a few hours before our onward flight late in the afternoon. The hotel served exactly that purpose. Staff were friendly and let us book in early (we had already spoken to them previously to explain we only wanted a few hours during the day). We were able to get a couple of hours sleep, take a shower and have a coffee before returning to the airport. The hotel is very close-only costing us $5 by taxi each way. Much better than spending 8 hours at the airport!

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple