“very pleasant surprise”

Ranked #26 of 95 Hotels in Dar es Salaam
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
“very pleasant surprise”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 21, 2013

after seeing previous reviews i was very apprehensive. But the hotel is well-situated, has good transport attached, super views from the rooms and overall experience was excellent. Downsides were the breakfast buffet which was lacklustre, and some of the serving staff a bit uninterested. exceptions were Mwayni in the restaurant and Michael ?s.b? in the Zanzibar coffee shop who were very helpful and cheerful. The outside coffee shop and upstairs bar and lounge excellent finds. reception (always important) was really welcoming, and Ali and Gladys especially helpful. Rooms were spacious and well appointed and wifi service good. Its not so safe to walk around by yourself, but with onsite transport that's not an issue. for sure i'd stay again.

Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
MaheshCLangoo_68, General Manager at Holiday Inn Dar Es Salaam City Centre, responded to this review, December 24, 2013
Dear PbWater,

We would like to thank you for your time to share your opinion about Holiday Inn Dar Es Salaam on Tripadvisor.co.uk. We thank you for appreciating our services and specially mentioning the names of some of our star performers at the Reception and the restaurant. Your praises always motivates them to perform better.

We do offer transport round the clock for the safety and security of all our esteemed guests. We have an in-house registered transport agency with well trained drivers to look after all the transportation needs of all our guests round the clock.

We would also like to thank you for appreciating our Food and beverage outlets and services. Looking forward to meet you in person during your next visit to Holiday Inn Dar Es Salaam.

Best Regards

Dar Es Salaam

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
Harare, Zimbabwe
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 13, 2013

I booked this because I have to visit Dar Es Salaam fairly frequently on business. The other hotels I've used on previous trips were incredibly noisy at night, so having a good night's sleep was top of my list of "must haves". The Holiday Inn rooms are comfortable and blissfully quiet at night so I'm glad to say that I slept well. They were also able to provide airport pick-up, even at midnight.

So far so good. However, the food at the hotel is uniformly awful. Because I was really busy on this trip, left early daily and got back late every evening, I was obliged to eat mostly at the hotel and really wished I didn't have to. Breakfasts consisted of the usual tired buffet of various unidentifiable mystery meat, eggs (I think that's what they were), and potato dishes that nobody ever seemed to eat. Yes, there are rolls and fresh fruit but the selection is limited. Suppers were dismal - I ate in the downstairs restaurant, I had room service, I ate in the rooftop restaurant, in an attempt to find something edible. The worst of the lot was something called a Meze medley, including tahini (which had the consistency and taste of wallpaper paste), fish cakes (fish and sawdust?) and pita bread (or was it cardboard?).

Boy, does this hotel need to find a new chef and kitchen staff!

Anyway, stay here if you want peace and quiet but my advice is, go somewhere else to eat.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Dear Barbara,

We would like to thank you for your time to review our hotel on Tripadvisor.co.uk. Since you have been travelling a lot and sleep quality was on top of your list, we are happy to note that you found the rooms very quiet and offer blissful sleep, as compared to other hotels in town.

We have noted your impressions about our Food & Beverage services and the same has been conveyed to our chef and the F&B manager who are working on your suggestions to improve our services.

Your feedback is important to us as it allows us to know about our drawbacks and also gives us an opportunity to improve our services.

We assure you of our best services at all times.

I look forward to meet you personally and offer you the best courtesies during your next visit to Holiday Inn Dar Es Salaam.

Best Regards

Martock, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 4, 2013

At first glance on arrival, this seems like a good hotel. However, it has too many failings to qualify for a good rating, especially in comparison with the nearby Serena or Southern Sun where a I have stayed in the past.
The check in procedure is slow, the foreign currency exchange rates low (as is common in most hotels) and when I tried to change $100 they didn't have enough local currency anyway!
The rooms are quite pleasant, but it was a guessing game every day as to how many of the towels would be replaced or whether the glasses would be washed. As for the towels, they're little bigger than a pocket handkerchief, very thin and of poor quality. Laundry is reasonably priced and the service quite quick, but if you call housekeeping be prepared for a long wait for your clothes to be picked up.
The 'free' Internet is a joke. Often painfully slow and after even a minute or so of inactivity it logs you off and you have to start all over again. It was easier just to purchase a wireless modem with local provider 'Smile'.
Breakfast can be good, but many items are missing from tables even when the restaurant has just opened, and the 'scrambled' eggs are possibly the worst I've ever had! Yuk!
Security is a joke. I went to the emergency exit at the end of my corridor to find the door open, so anybody could have climbed the external fire escape and accessed the corridor.
Food in the rooftop restaurant/sheesha bar is poor. My pizza was very doughy and almost tasteless. A couple years back, this was a much better hotel and I can only attribute the decline to a change in management.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
MaheshCLangoo_68, General Manager at Holiday Inn Dar Es Salaam City Centre, responded to this review, December 23, 2013
Dear Mr. Richard,

We thank you for writing a review on Tripadvisor.co.uk. It is our constant endeavor to offer best services to all our esteemed guests. I apologize for all the inconveniences caused to you during your stay at Holiday Inn Dar Es Salaam. The management has taken note of all your grievances and constructive measures have been taken to rectify the faults that you have pointed out. We have put systems in place so as to get the things right and we hereby ensure you that you will find the difference on your next visit to Holiday Inn Dar Es Salaam.

Please let me know when you are in Dar and I would be happy to meet you in person.

Nairobi, Kenya
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 30, 2013

This is the 4th time I stayed in this hotel.. always felt at ease.the management team always look forward to look all possible ways to help & make me comfortable.Also for my clients it was easy to meet up as it is easily located in the center of the town.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the sea.. its brighter..
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
MaheshCLangoo_68, General Manager at Holiday Inn Dar Es Salaam City Centre, responded to this review, December 2, 2013
Dear Mr. Sanjeev B,

The management of Holiday Inn would like to thank you for your time to share your opinion about our property on Trip Advisor. It is always a pleasure to accommodate the special requests of our guests. It is our constant endeavor to look after the needs of our guests. We are happy to know that you were pleased with the management response to your requests. Being in the city centre it is always good for all our business clients to schedule their meetings conveniently.

We look forward to see you visiting Holiday Inn more often for all your business meetings.

Holiday Inn Dar Es Salaam
Redland City, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 24, 2013

Having stayed at the Holiday Inn Dar, on several occasions, I have always found the Staff and Management efficient and friendly. The rooms are spacious and clean with a very appreciated a/c
system. The included breakfast is good, with fresh fruit and a large range of buffet food.
The roof top bar is an excellent location to have a cold Kilamanjaro and take in the city sights and smells. Take care when the girls come and ask if you would like company.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Dear Dieter B,

I would like to thank you for your positive review of our property on Trip Advisor. It is good to see that our guests are satisfied with our services. You have specially mentioned about the Breakfast and the Roof Top. Our chefs try to offer the food as per the choice of our esteemed guests and our Roof top restaurant Al Dar is quite popular as it offers a variety of food and a panoramic view of city Dar Es Salaam and the night sky. We have recently concluded the Arabian Food festival featuring authentic Arabian Cuisine also featuring famous belly dancing of Arabia. we continue to offer a variety of food and music to make a difference.
We look forward to your continued patronage and serving you at Holiday Inn Dar Es Salaam.

Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2013

Dear Management team-Holiday Inn Hotel
I would like to take this opportunity to thank you and your staff for the wonderful workshop we had for three days at your hotel. Your staffs were a real credit to you - very attentive, polite and everything ran very smoothly. The room was a perfect size for the number of guests and the tables were beautifully set out and your waiting staff served the meal very efficiently, and it was piping hot and absolutely delicious.
Also I would especially like to thank one of your staff Salome who returned a lost but found Money, the Huge Cash I left on the table inside the envelope at Conference room and on the next day I found it been kept at General Manager office after Salome who was on duty preparing our Conference room come across with the money and called the Supervisor who together decided to submit the money to General Manager ready to handover to the Customer. Really this sounds like miracles but it is the reality of Holiday Inn Hotel.
At first I thought it is inborn characteristic of Salome a faithful lady of October 2013 later I realized that it is not only the inborn characteristic but also the acquired characteristics from Holiday Inn Hotel as Trust is daily breath to be imparted to any staff employed by the Hotel. There can be no better words, than to appreciate someone for their integrity. A challenge to Holiday Inn Hotel Management; Trust, Targets and Performance should be awarded to encourage others to emulate such achievements.
Lastly I would have no hesitation in using your services again or recommending your hotel. I wish you all the very best for the future.

Room Tip: Top roof conference is quite cool
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Dear Tabori M,

Thank you for taking out time to review our hotel and appreciating our services. We appreciate your kind words for our staff. This is our constant endeavor to provide best services to all our guests and our staff has been trained to be attentive to the needs of guests.
We have also passed your message of appreciation to Ms. Salome for her honesty and integrity. Holiday Inn is proud of such employees.
We are glad to see that you would recommend our hotel to others. Please let us know if we can be of any help during your future visits to Dar Es Salaam.

Best regards
Holiday Inn Dar Es Salaam
London
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2013

I've been staying at this hotel for the last few years and have found that in time the hotel has started to show signs of wear.

Most of the recent reviews mentioned on the site are correct but I would like to draw attention to the new GM, Mahesh Langoo, who has taken it upon himself to try and bring this hotel back to a standard that he can proud of.

Since he has taken over, there's been a positive change in Hospitality, Rooms and F&B. I can only hope this continues going forward.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank ik20xx
eclipse22, Manager at Holiday Inn Dar Es Salaam City Centre, responded to this review, November 14, 2013
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for taking the time to post a review of our hotel on Trip Advisor. As a loyal guest of ours and regular visitor I am pleased that you have highlighted that we are heading in the right direction.

You are correct, we have been focusing on many areas of our hotel and improvements will be on-going and these will be even more noticeable each time you stay with us.

I look forward to accommodating you again in the near future where you will be able to identify even more positive improvements to our hotel.

Once again, many thanks for your feedback. I look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel again in the near future.

Warmest Regards,