“Not up to expectations”

Holiday Inn Dar Es Salaam City Centre
Ranked #27 of 95 Hotels in Dar es Salaam
“Not up to expectations”
Reviewed June 8, 2013

On arrival bed looked like it had been slept in. Room had a pervasive and unpleasant smell on entry fading with time but there on every subsequent entry. Asked to move but was then offered a room where the AC made a noise like an express train and struggled to keep the room cool. Carpets stained and well past their best. Internet good but unlogs itself if you leave it more than 5 minutes and needs a new voucher every day. Location good for the city centre but hotel not upto standards for the price.

• Stayed June 2013
eclipse22, Manager at Holiday Inn Dar Es Salaam City Centre, responded to this review, June 23, 2013
Dear martinsjlc,

Our apologies that on this occasion we failed to live up to your expectations. We are in the process of upgarding our rooms including carpets, and on your next visit to Dar we assure you that we will surpass your expectations of our hotel.

Best regards
Paul Ferguson

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
Tel Aviv, Israel
Reviewed June 6, 2013 via mobile

It's not a bad hotel and you should not for special feathers
Just a standard 4 star hotel
I will say its a 3 star hotel
The room is just ok
The business lounge food verity is poor but the service is good

Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Dar Es Salaam City Centre, responded to this review, June 22, 2013
Dear Shlbre,

Thank you for your review regarding your recent stay. We are pleased you like the accommodations you received. However, we are sorry you found our food options less than satisfactory and apologize for any inconvenience you encountered with some aspects of the hotel. We take all comments into consideration and welcome any opportunity to improve. We are hospitality professionals and strive to be the best. Your comments will be looked into.

We greatly appreciate your feedback as this gives us the avenue to improve on our guest satisfaction. Hope to see you soon.

Zelyn N
Case Manager
IHGCare
Kingaroy, Australia
Reviewed June 1, 2013

This place was so nice! It's Dar, so it's going to take a couple of hours to get to the airport anyway - so unless you're catching a bus, you might as well stay in the city centre. The staff were really attentive and kind, there was FREE WIFI wooooooo, hot water, really clean and tidy. I'd stay again if I had money :)

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
eclipse22, General Manager at Holiday Inn Dar Es Salaam City Centre, responded to this review, June 3, 2013
Dear KJ,

Thank you for your review, we delighted that you appreciated the Holiday Inn Dar es Salaam. The free WI-FI is a huge positive with all our guests, and it's something we believe that all hotels should offer their guests.

Karibu Tena Holiday Inn Dar es Salaam
Austin, Texas
Reviewed May 27, 2013 via mobile

Rooms are great except for the hard mattress. Food is average hotel food. Not bad but not special either. They are constructing a large building next door with loud noise through the night. Internet is fairly fast but I was constantly bumped off. Nice roof top lounge with meals.

• Stayed May 2013
eclipse22, Manager at Holiday Inn Dar Es Salaam City Centre, responded to this review, May 28, 2013
Dear Globalmiller,

Thank you for your recent review, we are delighted you enjoyed your visit to the Holiday Inn Dar es Salaam.

Our Chef's and Restaurant Manager were slightly disappointed that you felt our food was simply hotel food, and they assure me that on your next visit they will delight you with non-hotel fare.

Karibu tena, Holiday Inn Dar es Salaam

Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed May 21, 2013

This hotel is in the downtown which is convenient for those doing business there. Things get quiet though in the evening. I arrived early, before check-in, and I was only staying until 11pm as I was flying out very early the next morning. Without asking the reception offered to find an available room so that I did not have to wait. They only had rooms on a smoking floor but said I could try it out and if the smell was too much they would give me another room.

Overall the rooms are nice and simple, but despite the hotel being less than 5 years old, the bathrooms looked rundown. Nevertheless, the hotel is nice and clean. The smell was not unbearable but obviously I would not choose a smoking room if I were staying longer.

It was noisy outside as there was a lot of construction so choose rooms facing away from the main street.

If you've got business elsewhere in the city, like the peninsula where many embassies are located, this might not be the best choice. Traffic is horrible and it can easily take an hour during peak times to get from the city center to Masaki and farther.

Room Tip: Get a room on high floor for better view.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
eclipse22, Manager at Holiday Inn Dar Es Salaam City Centre, responded to this review, May 23, 2013
Dear Micheal B,

Thank you for your review, we welcome the opportunity to continually improve our services. We have now launched a Helishuttle service from the airport directly to the hotel rooftop, which is a quick and effective way of beating the Dar traffic.

Karibu Tena
London Colney
Reviewed May 11, 2013

Dar Es Salam does not have a lot to offer when it comes to five luxury properties and in absence of rooms at The Serena Hotel, which is the only five star hotel there, the wonderful staff at front desk of the Serena phoned the Holiday Inn and secured a room for me. My trip was a sudden trip, which meant no prior booking.

I must say the Tanzanians are the coolest bunch I have ever come across and everywhere I went it was the same. So Holiday Inn reception great and it is only when I got to my room I was shocked by the low standard of finishing, stained walls and ceiling etc. The grouting on the tiles is the most horrible I have ever seen and wonder how a brand like Holiday Inn can accept such a standard is beyond me. Then it was the Internet, which requires you to put a code every time you get on line. Not to mention you need a new code all together every 24 hours. In that first 24 hours, I must have put the same code more 15 times. It really is very annoying.

I had dinner in the restaurant downstairs which is kind of Indian so had brilliant lamb curry with the wonderful Kilimanjaro beer. But the following day in the same restaurant, they had a buffet and it shock after another. The steak was hard, I thought I will try the chicken but this did not taste good. I then decided to try just vegetables which were all so salty, I gave up and decided to have some water melon and to my horror, the watermelons were so bad, they were like they have been left outside for a long time, they were soggy and simply not fit for eating. I called the manager and he said he will not charge me and even offered me a free dinner the same day. Unfortunately I could not take his offer as I had other engagements.

On the day I was leaving, the telephones and the internet was down almost the whole day and because my flight was very late in the evening, I had paid 50% so that I can at least use the internet and telephone but this was not working, I had to call for the GM and complain. The GM was very polite and immediately agreed to waive the 50% charge and apologised for the all the inconvenience. He said they have these problems whenever it rains.

So overall, not the best experience but the politeness of the staff and GM being so quick to ease my pain made up for it.

As for Tanzania, my next family trip is going to be there. Love the place and the people are simply the most wonderful I have ever come across.

Room Tip: The higher the better as you can have a better view of the area
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
eclipse22, General Manager at Holiday Inn Dar Es Salaam City Centre, responded to this review, May 16, 2013
Dear DGAB,

Thank you for your review, it is only with constructive criticism that we can continually upgrade our products and services.

We are currently in the process of refurbishing our hotel bathrooms, in order to bring them inline with Holiday Inn Standards, and our 7th floor bathrooms will be fully completed within the next few days.

Our new restaurant manger and the kitchen team are working on the food quality issue's you expereinced at the time of your visit. We glad that we were able to resolve your complaints lodged to your satisfaction at the time of your stay, we always try to ensure that our guests leave with a favourable impression of the Holiday Inn Dar es Salaam.

Kind regards
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 10, 2013 via mobile

Stayed 3 nights in may 2013. As a priority club member was upgraded to room 1012 which was but to the standwrd of an executive room..There was a pungent smell on entering the room when i complained I was given a lemon freshner spray I have stayed at this hotel on 10 occasions from inception when it was brand new , however, the room carpet , bathroom fittings , bathroom towels , pillows etc have completly worn out over time. I suggest that they should start with room improvement starting with the 10th executive floor .All rooms on all floors require full refurbishment. The location in the city is convenient but the rooms give it a bad reputstion. Not up to standard of the IHG brands.

• Stayed May 2013
Dear AGM-MARITZ

Thank you for your recent comments, we are currently in the process of upgrading our hotel bathrooms to bring them inline with Holiday Inn Brand Standards and our new bathrooms on the 7th floor will be completed within the next few days.

We are continually replacing both bedroom and bathroom linens, in order to provide our guests the best possible comfort. We do appreciate your repeat business and on your next visit please contact me directly to discuss any issues which may arise.

Kind regards