“Average hotel for above average prices”

Holiday Inn Dar Es Salaam City Centre
Ranked #26 of 97 Hotels in Dar es Salaam
Reviewed March 19, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for 4 nights during a business trip. The hotel is in the middle of town so is very convenient for meetings in the city centre. The rooms were clean but neglected and taps / furnishings kept on falling off. The food was mediocre except for one day when the chef cooked Indian themed foods that were okay. I was not motivated to eat at their restaurant at all, especially for buffet meals. Their ala carte menu was restricted but the food was much better than the buffet option.

The rooms were cleaned very late - about 3pm - and the cleaners weren't attentive to replenish items that were not available, such as soap or sugar in the room. The room was clean, with free wifi and a 'working area' which was welcome. The air conditioning in the room worked very well and I didn't experience black outs and lack of electricity.

I wouldn't go back there because of the food and poor service from some staff.

Room Tip: If you want to have a peaceful night select a room on the side facing another building and not facin...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank NjenvaHeimi

Reviewed March 18, 2013

I had a stay with my father at the HI late february (3 nights, suite, smoking, 213 USD per night). Check-in was a little slow but finally we arrived at our suite. Wait, it was not a suite rather than just a room (and non-smoking). After complaining it took 15 min for a deputy manager to show up and tell us they do not have a suite available. He was a nice guy but could not do anything.

As compensation he promised free drinks at the rooftop bar (delivered), a rate reduction to the room rate of the room we actually stayed in (one would think this is the minimum but we got charged the suite rate at the end) and free breakfast at the restaurant (had only booked lounge breakfast). Our suite was promised to be ready at 10am day.

Next morning at breakfast they showed my 79 old father the door because he was "not on the list". The suite was not ready until 3pm and still not the booked one cause it was non-smoking.

Far worse, it was the famous room 801. One Swiss user already described anything about that room on 13.03.12 so I don't have much to add. He is right in every single regard.
We had 3 towels (for 2 bathrooms) and the service was not able to deliver some more during the entire stay.

The manager itself showed up in the room and promised everything will be fixed within the next 15 minutes (aircon, broken facilities, dirty sheets, missing towels and so on). The majority of it never happened.
To be fair, we got some beer and a dinner downstairs for free as a goodwill gesture.

At check-out I was told everything has been settled including the promised rate reduction to executive room for the entire stay.

Guess what, I was not only charged the full rate to my credit card but 370 USD more than that.
Since than I've sent e-mails to the hotel asking for an explanation and correction of the bill.
No answer, no reaction.

I called the IHG service line and they asked the hotel to get in contact with me. No answer, no reaction. IHG service then tried to contact the hotel management to no avail.
Now IHG service is considering to do the job itself and I will ask my CC company to remove the overcharging from my account.

I travel quite a bit but this amazing combination of service failure, incompetence and "fund raising" is new to me.

S.Tippach
Leipzig, Germany

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Steffen T
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Dar Es Salaam City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded April 1, 2013

Dear Steffen T,

We noticed your review regarding the Holiday Inn Dar Es Salaam City Centre, Tanzania. We are the Parent Company for this hotel known as InterContinental Hotels Group or IHG. We appreciate you bringing your
concern to our attention and apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced.

We have documented your comments under reference number 36176796, and are investigating the situation. However, before we can continue, we need some additional information. Please send an email to IHGCare@ihg.com.

Please include:
- The name the reservation was under as well as confirmation number, if possible.
- The dates of your stay.
- What action has the hotel management taken to resolve your concerns?
- Your Priority Club Rewards number (If applicable)
- Your contact information including your name, phone number, email and mailing address.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to write your review. We look forward to hearing
from you and being of further assistance.

Orlando Aquino
eMedia Coordinator
IHGCare
Reference # 36176796

Reviewed March 18, 2013

A great solution if you look for an hotel between Zanzibar and safari ! great room, perfect restaurant and swimming pool on the top. the kids loved it as well :-) (in fact we went there in February 2012)

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed March 17, 2013

Many great features - well situated in Dar.

The bar on the roof is very alternative and a welcome change - hokka smoking and a good dining options.

The room I had was on the executive level and had all the trappings expected. Wifi, coffee and tea etc. So what was not good.
- no telephone service (letter of apology provided but no alternative arrangement
- cold water in the morning - could not call anyone!
- executive lounge did not have much to offer. Very limited beverages and snacks.
- breakfast was really bad - bacon and sausages boiled and undercooked, scrambled egg hard and unappetising - no eggs on order at the buffet. Stick to cereal and toast.

Room Tip: The higher the better - executive floor if you can
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Rob N
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Dar Es Salaam City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded April 9, 2013

Dear Rob N,

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave us your feedback, we value your loyalty to our brand and hotels. Please accept my sincere apologies for the shortcomings you have experienced during your stay. We are hospitality professionals who pride ourselves on delivering world class service and for that reason, your comments will surely be looked into. We have taken note of your feedback and assure you that proper measures will be taken to improve the quality of service we offer.

I hope this would not deter you from choosing us again in the future

Krysllin G.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed March 15, 2013

I spent one night here in February. I was rather jet-lagged when I arrived but spent an hour or so on the rooftop bar. A very pleasant location with attentive service.

My room was fine... fairly standard and was clean. The front desk staff were polite and efficient. No complaints.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed March 13, 2013

I stayed in many "Holiday Inn" hotels all over the world and although that particular brand (member of the "Priority Club" to which the Intercontinental and the Crowne Plaza also belong) no longer is up to its earlier standard - but the one in Dar-es-Salaam was my very worst experience.

Whilst the process of reservation, airport pick-up and check-in worked out perfectly, the situation changed as soon as we (my wife, my two daughters of 5 and 7 and myself) entered our room (#801).
The carpet was worn and outright filthy, the bathrooms (we had two) worse than what I'd seen in a small Russian towns during the Soviet era: small, worn-out and yellowish towels, dirty bath-tub, a water crane fallen off, etc.
The entire interior was really sub-standard, yet the beds were clean and comfortable.

Following our arrival (at about 10 pm) I tried to call the Room Service for some food I realized that both phones were not working at all - or there was simply nobody to answer our call, not even the reception.
There was nothing else (no minibar) except for the bottled water from the bathroom to drink in the rooms - this was provided because the tap-water was not consumable.
I didn't have a problem with just one of the two TVs being operational but I could not get any channel with news - I got either football or several Chinese TV (CCTV) channels.
When we tried to sleep which wasn't really possible due to the cold air blown at the bed and due to the noise-level of an aging air-conditioning system - which I could only either just reduce a bit (whilst the noise continued) or only switch off. There was no manual or instructions to do anything else. So we spent a sweaty night without air-conditioning.

Early next day we had a buffet breakfast that was "reasonable" as we found most what we hoped to eat, but many plates of the buffet were empty (eggs, sausages, beans, butter, etc), so as I could see the kitchen staff deeply engaged in heir own discussions I didn't want to disturb and ate what was available. When we tried to return to our room we got stuck inside the lift because a power failure. There was no emergency light nor an alarm bottom in that lift and it was pitch-black. One might easily imagine how we felt unless the lift moved again after a long time (at least 10 min), let alone the panic of our children. Nobody answered our calling and knocking the lift walls. During that same day many more and lengthy power failures occurred - and I felt a that a tin y bit of justice was done when we received a letter by the manager apologizing for the power failures, offering a 25 USD rebate on our total bill of over 400 USD (for two nights).

Well then we tried to use the pool - it is situated in the open on the third floor and it is tiny. Whilst its size was just acceptable the amenities were not (of four deck chairs only two of were free), only two towels left. This was not really a problem as we soon left the area because we simply could no longer bear the stench and the noise: the pool must be just above the ventilation exhaust of a restaurant (of the hotel ?) and there was a powerful generator running at full speed on the ground floor providing sufficient a noise level plus a lot of diesel fumes to prevent any further sojourn in the pool area.

But the worst was yet to come: as we had to be at the airport the next day (day of check-out) at 8 am we tried to ask for a wake-up call for 6 am. As we were jet-lagged, had no own alarm clock and because the phone didn't work I went down to the reception to ask them to wake us at 6 am. I clearly explained that a telephone call was not sufficient as the phone is probably not working (which was why I went to the reception myself). I was very much and formally assured that someone would knock at the door at 6 am.... well - and then someone knocked at the door at 06:30. ...Being short by half an hour may normally be manageable if you travel alone, but not when you travel with two small children... thank god the hotel staff waked us at all. Then followed a disastrous checkout: whilst the bill was correct, but when I tried to pay I was told that my card wasn't valid. When I tried second card I was told it wasn't valid either. In that panic I finally lost my temper until someone more competent emerged from the back-office - then miraculously it was all settled. I was nevertheless charged about 1 USD for each futile attempt to pay - a loss I am ready to accept for leaving that Holiday Inn hotel behind. Finally, and to my utter surprise I was driven to the airport by the hotel shuttle to my entire satisfaction.

Room Tip: Avoid that hotel, go to another
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
eclipse22, General Manager at Holiday Inn Dar Es Salaam City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded March 16, 2013

Dear Guest

Please accept our sincere apologies for the inconveniences which you experienced at the Holiday Inn Dar es Salaam. Unfortunately due to a significant systems failure and a local power outage, we experienced the intermittent power issues.

An email have been sent to your registered address, outlining our full compensation offering.

Kind regards
Paul Ferguson

Reviewed March 11, 2013

Good hotel although the reception does seem a bit cramped. Great restuarant with plenty of meals for vegetarians, especially enjoyed the paneer dishes. Nice rooftop cafe as well, overall good place for a short biz trip.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business