“Funny experience”

Ranked #26 of 95 Hotels in Dar es Salaam
Perth, Australia
“Funny experience”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 24, 2012

This is a modern, well appointed hotel. Large rooms with all the mod cons.

What a surprise though when we received our room card and walked in on a room already occupied! Once this was sorted I jumped in the shower, a mess after the Zanzibar ferry, but didn't check if there were any towels. Silly me.

I'm sure this experience wouldn't happen very often.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
Nairobi, Kenya
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 22, 2012

THE GOOD
- The hotel accommodation and meeting rooms are quite affordable for a hotel of this size & standard
- If you're in Dar es Salaam for business, the location is excellent as it's in the city centre and it was quite easy to get from one place to another and there was never traffic in this section of town
- The hotel taxi/cab services were very affordable compared even to the public taxis around Dar
- The room is standard, sheets seemed clean, TV, nice comfy seat, well sized study table you could work off, internet and coffee
- Room service works well (but takes a while)
THE BAD
The most passive aggressive staff I've ever seen. They're not outright rude, but will basically say yes then proceed to ignore you or move at their own snails pace. Here's a few examples of the many:
- I hosted a meeting here and it was a pain to request for the littlest of things; pens, extra chairs etc Had to come out of my meeting severally to follow up
- Housekeeping doesn't work: they forget to put in the bathroom essentials and when you call for them they take ages.
- I asked for an iron box severally but one was never delivered and this is despite housekeeping answering in the affirmative every time I asked. When they finally brought one it had a cracked edge that tore my dress.
- Oh and housekeeping rarely pick up the phone
- One time at breakfast I asked for coffee and they didn't bring it at all
- Check in takes ages for no apparent reason
- The porter (there seems to be only one and disappears from time to time) so this creates a further delay
THE UGLY
- Make sure you comb through your bill with a fine tooth comb. I came across several wrong postings and double charges on my bill and this was only corrected after I kicked up a great fuss
- I also came across instances when they had forgotten to bill me entirely for some items and I dutifully reminded them (management should be especially worried about this one)
- Checking out took me over two hours... for over two hours I was at the reception standing figuring out the messy invoice (one giant slip where items are not arranged on any particular criteria making it very difficult to reconcile) and challenging over-charges and battling with the passive aggressive staff I mentioned (including a manager who was called in)

Overall, I was frustrated most times during my stay. I would recommend this hotel to the "completely non-fuss" business traveler.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
eclipse22, General Manager at Holiday Inn Dar Es Salaam City Centre, responded to this review, February 15, 2013
Dear Mariam M,

Thank you for your insightful review of our hotel, please rest assured that we are working to resolve the issues you highlighted, and we are confident that you will see siginificant improvements in our services during your next visit.

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 2, 2012 via mobile

The hotel is located very centrally and the executive rooms are comfortably appointed. The food at both the ground floor restaurant and roof top bar was good. The service from the ground floor restaurant staff was poor mainly due to inattentive waiters. Also requested a shaving kit, but this was never delivered.

Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
eclipse22, General Manager at Holiday Inn Dar Es Salaam City Centre, responded to this review, November 13, 2012
Dear Sangeev,

Thank you for your positive comments on our hotel, we are delighted you enjoy our central location as this is a key factor with most business travellers. We all know the Dar traffic can be a nightmare.

Our chef's were pleased to read your review of the food, the waiters were not and they have assured me that they will be working on their service levels. I would appreciate any comments on your next visit to see if there has been an improvement in your opinion.

The chef's recommend our newly introduced Sushi menu on your next visit, if you wish to try something different.

Brisbane, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 1, 2012

We spent 1 night here, breaking our long journey from Australia to Arusha. We had a very mixed experience here.
The bad: I think we got a new girl at reception, so our booking in was slow (all we wanted to do was relax in our room after 27 hrs of travel). When we got to our room, the sheets were worn and grubby looking and we were missing towels plus we only had one tea cup. We contacted reception who said it would be fixed. After half an hour, my husband went downstairs. The manager was there, so service was more prompt. Our bed linen was changed and towels arrived. Never received the cup but we didn't worry about that.
The good: a comfy night with good airconditioning. Good hot water in the shower too.
We enjoyed our meal at the restaurant (crumbed local red snapper) and found the service good and friendly. In fact all staff were friendly.
It is conveniently located and we walked around town for an hour before our flight to Arusha.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear NettyA

Thank you for your positive comments especially regarding our friendly service, your restaurant meal and a comfortable nights sleep.

Our apologies for the condition of your room when you first arrived, it is certainly not what we aim to achieve, however I'm glad it was resolved to your satisfaction when the matter was brought to Management attention.

Centurion, South Africa
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2012

It's difficult to find a decent international-standard hotel in Dar. I've tried a few, but I keep coming back to the Holiday Inn. It offers good value for money in a convenient downtown location (no small advantage given the chronic gridlock of Dar traffic). In fact, I’m writing this review having extended my stay by one week when I could have moved to another hotel had I wished.

Believe me, more expensive does not mean better service - certainly not in Dar. The Holiday Inn’s rooms are clean and serviceable (except for occasional stains on some carpets and under-sheets that are not quite big enough). Beds are firm and comfortable. The public areas are not as large or fancy as at some other hotels, but fine. (On this trip we held a morning function at the hotel; it went well in terms of facilities and service.) The downstairs restaurant is not “terrible,” but not much above average even with its new menu – which wears a bit thin after several days. The quality of food preparation and service varies considerably. My early breakfast order last week was lost somehow, and at 5 am the restaurant, although open, offered scrambled eggs with the consistency of porridge. But I’ve had good meals there, too.

This hotel’s biggest asset is the attitude of its staff. Everyone is consistently friendly, sincerely eager to please. Note that the General Manager himself (new from last year) responds individually and constructively to comments on this site. Its two biggest problems are follow-through and infrastructural issues. For example, friendly housekeepers don’t do much good if they can’t remember to leave you a hand towel plus a bath towel. On the other hand, ever since the housekeeping manager heard about this problem on my current visit I’ve had a double towel supply every day.!

Each time I visit some new challenge seems to appear. This trip it was hot water – lukewarm for the first few days of my stay. It took three days to get someone to follow through on what seems to have been a boiler problem, then more days of cool showers until the maintenance man explained that the fixture in my room is backwards – so “cold” means “hot.” (No tubs in the rooms, just showers, which is fine for me.) On a previous visit the hotel had been without reliable power for weeks - not its fault (a grid problem), but eliminating reliable air conditioning nevertheless. And, contrary to other reviewers, I definitely don’t recommend booking airport transfers through the Holiday Inn. They have unreliable for me in the past. The first two times I asked them to arrange a transfer no one met me on arrival; one of those times my bag was stolen as I looked for the hotel driver. Rather use a licensed airport taxi.

It may sound as though I’m negative about the Holiday Inn. Far from it. I’ve had plenty of problems at other international-standard Dar hotels, too (to say nothing of the more-local variety). As I said, I keep coming back to the Holiday Inn – because it is comfortable, reasonably priced, and very welcoming. They certainly are trying hard, which is what I most appreciate. If I had the option on this site, I would rank them 5 stars for effort, 3.5 stars for results.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms 501-503, 601-603, etc. - noise from outside.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Dear Phil,

Thank you for your positive comments especially those regarding our team members, they certainly do try to be the friendliest in town.

As you point out, a lot of the problems we experience are unfortunately common amongst most hotels in Dar es Salaam. We are working hard to resolve these problems both as a city and as an individual hotel.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Holiday Inn Dar es Salaam in the near future, and hopefully on your next visit we will finally get everything right.

London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2012

The hotel is a new 10-floor property smack in the centre of town. It's quite expensive, but I guess you're paying for the reassurance of a franchised western chain in an African city.

It's a Holiday Inn, not luxury, but comfortable and practical. The top floor has a bar/snack facility, which can be fun. There's a pool, though it's more jacuzzi size, overlooked by the office building next door. The gym is a more serious, well-equipped affair. Downstairs is a comfortable, but rather pricey restaurant with an outdoor terrace overlooking the street.

Rooms are perfectly fine, standard Holiday-Inn style, well-airconditioned with a decent-sized bathroom (mine had only a shower, no tub). Bed-sheets and towels are beginning to look worn, and felt slightly damp, perhaps a function of high humidity. Oddly, the bed's under-sheets were not wide enough to fit the single mattress.

There's a spacious Club lounge: breakfasty things, light evening snacks - but you'll be disappointed if you expect a "happy hour".

Staff are charming and generally efficient. Hotel cars seem well-managed and are not too over-priced compared to taxis. They'll fix up convenient airport pick-ups for only around $5 above what the airport taxis ask for.

Many people will prefer the expensive expat enclaves on the peninsula, but for the atmosphere of a city, the Holiday Inn is a good choice for Dar central. Alternatives might be the Kempinski (reassuringly expensive!), the "off-chain" Africa or the more budget Heritage.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
eclipse22, General Manager at Holiday Inn Dar Es Salaam City Centre, responded to this review, October 17, 2012
Hi Swissfella,

Thank you for the terrific comments, here at Holiday Inn we pride ourselves on providing a mid-range affordable product with the friendliest service in town.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Holiday Inn Dar es Salaam,

Kinds regards
Kampala, Kampala, Uganda
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2012

Hotel is good but dining experience is terrible. Plus I felt like I was being discriminated against. I mean even when I ordered early, I got my orders way before other people. That is just sad!
And seriously, the chefs need to go back to school or take more time thinking of something new. There is no variety in the meals. For the whole week i stayed there, the buffets stayed the same. lost my taste buds. I believe they can get better.

Room Tip: i liked the higher floors
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Dear Balix H,

Thanks for your comments following your recent stay in Tanzania.

We apologise for your disappointment with our food variety during your stay, however on your next visit you will be suprised by the changes we have made in the Restaurant.

It was only shortly after your stay that we launched our new Ala Carte menu featuring a wide variety of meals to suit all palates.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Holiday Inn.

Kinds regards