Holiday Inn Dar Es Salaam City Centre
$225
  • Spa
$101
Hotels.com
Sea Cliff Hotel(Dar es Salaam)
$293
$153
$111
$103
Hotels.com
Tanzanite Executive Suites(Dar es Salaam)
$224
$81
  • Breakfast included
$200
$182
Travelocity
$286
$272
Harbour View Suites(Dar es Salaam)
$126
Priceline
$177
$161
Priceline
All reviewsstayed at holiday innrooftop restaurantfirst floorbreakfast buffetbusiness centerinnschristopherdarafricagymzanzibarcomputerstrafficindianconferenceferry
FilterAll languages
Reviewed August 20, 2011

The hotel is right in the center of town and within walking distance to several very good restaurants. The lobby is nice, the ladies at receptions were lovely and helpful, the rooms were quite comfortable and the breakfast was predictable but good. The rooftop shisha bar is cool, has a nice view and was a nice break from being indoors all day. There is a very small gym that works for a couple of days but if you're staying longer, you'll want something better. Good bathrooms: clean, good water pressure, good amenities. Internet was also good.

We held a conference/workshop on the rooftop one day. The conference room was not adequate and was the primary draw-back for us in this hotel. The room has a straw roof so it doesn't present very professional. The other problem was the service on the 2nd floor coffee shop restaurant. Essentially none of the staff spoke English (only Swahili) and took forever to bring our food. On top of that, the orders were often incorrect. We stopped going here after day 3.

We walked to the Movenpick every morning to get a latte, which is just down the block. Nice to have that luxury down the street!!

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business
IJMatthews, Sales & Marketing Manager at Holiday Inn Dar Es Salaam City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded August 24, 2011

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to write this constructive review.

We are delighted to read that you enjoyed the comfortable room and good breakfast.
Regarding the service at the coffee shop we will enhance the training of the staff and make sure that this will not happen again. We are very sorry for the inconvenience.

Thank you once again for writing this review and we are hoping to welcome you back soon again.

Kindest regards,

Ian Matthews & Team

Reviewed August 10, 2011

If you want to feel robbed go to the Holiday Inn Dar Es Salaam.
I was staying for 4 days in the Holiday Inn Dar Es Salaam for a business trip. The hotel is well placed near the city center.
I ordered a pick-up from the airport, which was confirmed. The pick-up was not showing up. By my arrival in the hotel it was posted at the reception that the rate for a standard room was 160 US$. They charged me 170 US$. When I said that this was wrong they answered me very friendly that the rate has changed but that they did not yet changed the announcement.
While waiting I wanted to change some money. I checked the rate at the airport and it was 2.290 TZS for 1 Euro. In the hotel the rate was posted at 1.600 TZS. I thought this was a mistake and they had “forgotten” to change it. I was very surprised to hear that this was the correct rate.
If you take a taxi they will call Holiday Inn cars. These taxis are charging you 50% more than a normal official taxi and the quality is the same. (for example transfer to the airport is officially 25.000 TZS they will charge you 25 US$ which is about 40.000 TZS.
I bought an Internet access on the second day of my stay. I logged of and on. The last day this means after two days I still had 6h remaining. I was very surprised that after going down for breakfast for 30 minutes at my return my log-in had expired. I went down to the reception told my story and they said it is normal it keeps on counting. Difficult to understand if you are using it for over 48 hrs. I told the lady that she was wrong. But to be sure I bought a new voucher for another 24 hrs. I tested immediately and I saw that the counter was stopping every time you log off. I went down again and the lady said again that I was wrong.
I can’t appreciate at all this kind of attitude.
The services I’m complaining about are services that a hotel normally give to their customers to feel comfortable. Now the only feeling I have is that I’m treated as a liar, I’m cheated and I’m robbed.
For those who like that feeling please go to the Holiday Inn in Dar Es Salaam you will not be disappointed !!!!!

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled on business
4  Thank StanDeSmet
IJMatthews, Public Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Dar Es Salaam City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded August 15, 2011

Thank you for taking the time to write this review.
We are surprised to read your experience at our hotel. As management of the hotel we are always trying to ensure the comfort of our guests.

Unfortunately the driver did miss you for the airport pick up.
We apologized for this incident and offered you, as a gesture of goodwill, a complementary return to the airport. We apologize once again for this inconvenience.

As for the exchange rate at our hotel, we offer a different rate than the commercial bureaus due to lower turnover. Please keep in mind that we offer the settlement of the bill at our hotel US dollars, Tanzanian Shillings and with various credit cards.

With regards to our Internet use, we offer 24 hour connections and weekly connections. The time is calculated from the first time of log inn. As there was confusion, we did offer you another 24 hours complementary connection to make your stay with us as comfortable as possible.

We thank you once again for writing this review.

Reviewed August 10, 2011

We have been in this hotel with my wife for 3 nights. It was very good. It is sure that, this is not holiday hotel, mainly for business. However you can have a taste with staying in this hotel. Very clean, staff is frendly and very new hotel. i strongly reccomend it.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank anaydin
IJMatthews, Sales & Marketing Manager at Holiday Inn Dar Es Salaam City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded October 2, 2011

Thank you for taking the time to write this review.
We sincerely hope to welcome you soon again.
Travel safe and enjoy exploring the world.

Reviewed July 30, 2011

I thought the Holiday Inn was a nice little hotel, great for access to the city centre and with good business facilities.

I have a platinum Holiday Inn card, so was upgraded to the Executive Floor on arrival (this slightly surprised me as I was staying for 4 nights, and at most Holiday Inns they won't give you free Executive Floor access for more than 1 or 2 nights)

The Executive Lounge seemed very under-used... I don't think I saw anyone else in there for the whole 4 days. The services provided were very good, with a small selection for breakfast and snacks throughout the day.

The rooms were good - large, well-equiped and very clean. Food-wise, I thought the restaurant on the ground floor was good (if slightly like a school cafeteria), and the pub on the 1st floor was great. Didn't think much of the rooftop restaurant - a very poor selection of Middle-Eastern food for a restaurant that advertises itself as such! However, no place that serves Shisha can be all bad!

Overall. this hotel is good for business (especially for the price), but I wouldn't stay there if I were visiting on holiday.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank ChrisBustin
IJMatthews, Public Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Dar Es Salaam City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded August 2, 2011

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to write this review.

We are glad to read that you enjoyed your stay at our hotel; our location in town is like you said great for access to the city centre.

Thank you once again to write this helpful review.

Reviewed July 27, 2011

This is a hard review to do as this particular Holiday Inn is in a 3rd world country. The staff were friendly but not always as well trained as they should be for a 4 star hotel. Check-in which should have been simple, took a long time and occasionally I detected that staff would rather be elsewhere. The food in the restaurant downstairs was excellent and serves were generous. The Executive Club really does need work in comparison with the others I have stayed in. While the staff were helpful, breakfast was not terribly exciting and in the evening sessions food was not topped up nor was there any alcohol which is the norm in most lounges (except Islamic countries). No wonder it was empty most nights. The hotel room was well equipped but for a new hotel it was getting knocked about and the carpets needed a good shampoo. The actual building quality is pretty poor but that is not Holiday Inn's fault. Wifi in rooms would have been good but given the nature of the country this probably was not an option given that the city electricity supply seemed rather compromised. With some tinkering around the edges it could be a really good hotel but it does need some changes.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple

Dear guest,
Thank you for writing this review, it is much appreciated that you have taken the time to do so.

We are delighted to read that you have enjoyed the food at our Gaucho’s Restaurant.
We have taken note of your comment regarding the room and we are in the process of upgrading them.

Thank you once more for taking the time to write this supportive review.