“Excellent value in city centre location”

Holiday Inn Dar Es Salaam City Centre
Ranked #26 of 95 Hotels in Dar es Salaam
Scotland
“Excellent value in city centre location”
Reviewed March 17, 2011

Was pleasantly surprised by the holiday inn. The rooms were a decent size, well equipped, modern and super clean. Good bathrooms with great shower. The air con was a welcome relief from the humidity. Nice little bar, good food in the restaurant and helpful friendly staff. Good location for wandering around the city. Good choice for a layover.

• Stayed February 2011
1 Thank JillyLou123
RSchreuder, Public Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Dar Es Salaam City Centre, responded to this review, April 6, 2011
we are glad you liked our room, facilities and our location.
Hope to welcome you in the near future again for more lay-overs or even longer stay.

Thank you once again for your review and enjoy your future travels

Ian & Team

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed March 16, 2011

I stayed in the Holiday Inn for 3 nights during a solo adventure to Tanzania.

The good: The location is good -- close to the ferry and not far off from restaurants and beachfront. It was easy for friends to find. Hotel employees were very friendly and helped me arrange day tours and taxis.

Rooms were spacious and well-appointed. Great TV channel offerings for when I needed to retreat from the sweltering heat.

The bad: The carpets were stained and the bathroom was dingy and dated. The worst, however, were the bugs! I discovered a small bug or two in the bathroom and asked that my room be sprayed. This never happened. The next day, I discovered a bug in the mini-fridge!! Ewww! Needless to say, I did not store anymore food in the fridge. When I complained, I don't think they took me seriously, as I never smelled any bug spray and the front desk could not confirm that it had been taken care of.

For $130 or so per night, I would hope that other hotels could do better.

Stayed January 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank travelbee28
RSchreuder, Public Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Dar Es Salaam City Centre, responded to this review, March 22, 2011
we are glad you liked your spacious room and our location.
With regards to the bugs in your room, We spray when guests are out of the room in order not to disturb. We also fumigate weekly which has been strictly followed in the past months, with no further complains.

Thank you once again for your review and enjoy your future travels

Nairobi, Kenya
Reviewed March 8, 2011

had a two night stay, i feel it is a bit over priced, but the location is great right in the centre of town, the rooms were good, breakfast was ok. the airport pick up we asked for was double the price of a regular taxi. overall not a bad place for a day or two

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank myraabdullah
eclipse22, General Manager at Holiday Inn Dar Es Salaam City Centre, responded to this review, March 11, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on the Holiday Inn Dar es Salaam, we are glad you liked your room, with regards to the taxi prices we use a reputable taxi company for all our drop off 's and pick up's and they are a little bit more expensive than the street taxi but reliable
and trustworthy vehicles. We look forward to welcoming you again to the Holdiay Inn Dar es Salaam and again thank you for your review.

Regards

Cologne, Germany
Reviewed March 2, 2011

The rooms at the Holiday Inn are fine with the AC working. The bathroom is pretty good for Eastern Africa there is plenty of water pressure to flood the entire bathroom - which I prefer to the abundant alternative. Just as the AC works, hot water isn’t an problem either. It’s certainly a good spot to stay for a night, before your flight out from Dar. The problem is more in ther service or lack off. I found a spa menu in the room upon arrivel and the prospect of getting grid of all the dust and dirt from the travels appeared to me. So I called to see if I could get squeezed in for a pedicure. It was possible and so I went to the Spa on the 2nd floor. It turned out the Spa was a seat in the very warm gymn in which two athletic guest were just working out on the treadmill. I declined the offer of a treatment in the middle of a gym while two people who didn’t sign up for it would have to watch.
Late afternoon I wanted a drink and a snack in the hotel bar. The drinks were served chilled, but we had to wait ages for the food. Later on I ordered room service and the lady told me it wasn’t possible to order a cheese and tomato sandwich, despite the menu stating you can choose any fillings. I was told I had to order a Club Sandwich, which wouldn’t have been a problem if I wanted a sandwich with chicken and bacon to start with. So I insisted that I would prefer a veggie sandwich and eventually I got a tomato and cheese sandwich delivered to my room. I was on the crazy early flight from Dar so I asked reception if I could have a wake up call as well as a car to the airport. Two different forms were filled in and we discussed for 15 minutes which room I was in, when I wanted the wake up call and at what time I would prefer to leave. At the end I was told ’no problem’ and given the forms the lady filled in I felt reasonable confident that it might not be a problem. My wake up call didn’t happen, which was pretty disappointing. This is the first time I ever stayed in a hotel where they simply did not call. Thanks to my alarm clock I made it down to reception on time. I had paid the room including all services charges and taxes online, so I handed back the key to reception and said that I had asked for a car to the airport the afternoon before. In response I was handed a bill for service charges. So at 3.45 am I found myself discussing with reception a 6 dollar service charge instead of sitting in a car to the airport. I found the print out of my booking which clearly stated that it was all included in my payment and so he eventually acknowledged that I had paid everything. There was no car booked to the airport either and two other guest were on the same flight. Eventually one driver appeared, but it was not possible to bring two parties who prebooked a car each to the same airport in the same car. Instead reception insisted we would wait for a second driver. Overall clean room, but rubbish service.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank aroundtheworld57
eclipse22, General Manager at Holiday Inn Dar Es Salaam City Centre, responded to this review, March 6, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel, guest feedback is very important to us, I am very sorry that you did not enjoy your stay with us and I have taken all your comments on board and discussed this with the staff involved, I will ensure further staff training is under taken.
To eliminate this happening to any other guest, Once again please accept my apologies

Many thanks

Reviewed March 1, 2011

I have stayed in all of the top 20 hotels in dar and this by far in terms of overall package is the best. Room size to the off the cuff solutions the friendly staff offer is amazing. The management team there is excellent with a can do attitude. Which for Dar is a breath of fresh air. Specially the.tall dutch manager they have Ian. He is a credit to the hotel. You can tell he is service and people oriented.
Location is excellent but parking needs to be worked on. The business facilities at this hotel are very good and its very surprising the amount of business rooms they really have. So all in all this is the place to stay for business when in Dar. well done holiday inn

• Stayed January 2011
IJMatthews, Sales & Marketing Manager at Holiday Inn Dar Es Salaam City Centre, responded to this review, January 30, 2012
Thank you for writing this review.
We have taken note of your comments.

We are working on structurising the parking and ensuring a comfortable parking.
As you said we will keep on doing what we do best and that is making sure you enjoy our hotel and it services as best as possible.

Reviewed February 28, 2011

i have stayed (and will again) several times at the holiday inn city centre and can only reccomend it for the perfect location (it avoids you loosing time in dar es salam's traffic jams) and the extremely confortable room. Although in a hotel of this category it should come without saying, i want to underline that all anemities (a/c, internet, cable tv) work perfectly, for those having traveled africa before will understand why i feel this is worth mentioning. I have used the spa in one occasion for a massage and was positively surprised that they could 'repair' my back after a long flight.
The staff has been very helpfull in all of my stays, mainly in regard of general information and organising transfers.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank redmonkeylodge
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel and we are very happy that you enjoyed your time with us, I will forward your comment to all staff, who I am sure will be very encouraged by you postive feed back, We look forward to welcoming you back to the Holiday Inn Dar es Salaam in the very near future.

Many thanks

Peggy
Johannesburg
Reviewed February 28, 2011

Great hotel in the middle of the Dar Es Salaam City Centre, the location is close to the airport - max 20 minutes if there is no traffic. We arrived at 01:30am and departed at 02:30am so the trip to the airport was a breeze. The hotel offers a reliable airport transfer at a reasonable price.

Hotel staff are very competent, friendly and will go out of their way to assist you. My suitcase was accidently taken by another passenger at the airport when we arrived, the hotel followed up with airport, found my suitcase and delivered it to me at 2:30am!

Rooms are big enough, nice LCD TV's, and really comfy beds. The only downside was the carpets - they could have been a bit cleaner. The bathroom was clean and well equiped.

All in all I would recommend the hotel if you want to be close to the airport and the city centre

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank EK_FAN
Thank you for taking the time to complete a review on the Holiday Inn Dar es Salaam, we are happy that you enjoyed your stay with us, I will forward your comments to all staff and we looking forward to hosting you again very soon.

many thanks