“Nice beach resort enjoy with across the Ferry”

Ranked #79 of 96 Hotels in Dar es Salaam
Reviewed July 22, 2014

We visited there with family and friends. We used Ferry to go across some distance from Dar Es Salaam port to the Area of Beach. The beach is about 7 Kms after getting off from Ferry (with car). It is a nice drive with no pollution and small shops at sides.

Road about 300 mitres to the beach is muddy, and not maintained.

Inside, it is a beautiful resort with entry fee of Shillings 5000 per Person. Nice place to click pictures with nice clean beach to enjoy throughout the day.

Good quality food is available, both Veg and Non veg, however, at little high prices.

Wifi is there, but range is low.

Overall, it is good place to enjoy weekend/holiday.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
F0M_Sunrise_Resort, Manager at Sunrise Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded June 2, 2017

Reviewed July 14, 2014

Nice and quiet hotel side - small houses very nice. The beach - just few sun beds, full of noisy people - mainly Chinese and Indians. There was a dj on the beach - and the music was more like for a club - not relaxing at all. The service of the restaurant was the the worst- I ordered one thing - they brought me another - and charged additionally for something that was written with BIG red letters in the menu that is served together with the main course.... Overall not a pleasant experience especially if you want to go and enjoy the beach.

Stayed: July 2014, traveled with friends
F0M_Sunrise_Resort, Manager at Sunrise Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded April 21, 2015

Thanks for the comments about our Hotel & Beach. Apologies for your personal experience and we would work with your comments.

Our object is to provide a beautiful space, relaxing environment with utmost comfort for all our guest and we continue to work towards that. We hope you visit us again on your next holiday. Karibu Tena

Reviewed June 9, 2014

After visiting the place for the day we decided to come back and book a room two weeks later. We stayed for two nights and really like the hotel.

We stayed in a hut on the beach and it was the first time in three months that we found hot water AND high water pressure at the same time. Fantastic!

The AC was working, but it was installed on the wall about 1 meter away from the bed which meant a constant draft. We ended up covering it with a towel.

The food is good but expensive and rice/potatoes have to be ordered separately. If you want a cheaper meal head over to the less fancy resort to the right where u can get fries and chicken for half the price.

Our only negative experience was that I felt EXTREMELY exposed and objectified during the whole time I was there.

Every single man who walked passed us on the beach gave me looks that both disgusted me and made me scared for my safety, and most of them didn't care if I noticed it or got upset. No matter what I was wearing or what I was doing it kept happening, over and over and over again.

The security guards working at the hotel didn't seem to notice, but I couldn't really blame them. My boyfriend didn't notice it either until I started pointing it out everytime it happened.

At one point I was on my own on a sun bed, reading a book, and a man stopped about 2 meters away from me, and just stood there, staring and making disgusting suggestions.

I tried to ignore him but he didn't go away and in the end I felt so angry and scared that I walked into our hut to get away from him. When I came outside again he was doing yoga just outside our hut, facing our door as if he was preparing to show off his body as I came out again.

At another time when we were going for a swim at a time when the beach was completely empty, some boys who were in the water some two hundred meters from us decided to start playing around us, competing and challenging each other to go as close to us as possible and even tried to touch me on several occasions. At first I figured they were just kids playing games and answered their hello's in a friendsly way but when they kept coming up to me (and not my boyfriend) over and over again to try and touch or grab me I just got so angry I splashed water all over them and screamed at the top of my lungs to get them to understand that it wasn't ok.

As soon as my boyfriend turned his back there would be at least one or two boys/men trying to get my attention or whatnot. I've never felt so objectified in my life. It literally made me cry from frustration and anger and completely ruined our experience. It has nothing to do with the hotel per se, but still.

I wouldn't recommend going here if you're female and want to let your guard down. Not even a burka and a 24/7 bodyguard could protect you.

Room Tip: The huts on the beach are really cozy, the one closest to the ocean felt a bit too close to the end...
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank sool9917
F0M_Sunrise_Resort, Public Relations Manager at Sunrise Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded June 2, 2017

Thank you for your amazing review.
We are very sorry for the troube caused

The service has been changed,& much more

Reviewed April 4, 2014

Stayed here for 5 days in february and it was great. It was off season so had the whole place to ourselves virtually! We stayed in one of the camps which was simple but reasonably priced. The campsite has its own beach and that was our own for the 5 days. The staff are very helpful and friendly. Just make sure you go prepared with food to cook if that's what you plan to cook. There is an island just opposite which is just 15mins by boat ( Boats are available for hiring ). The island is a great place to explore, we were surprised to see a fresh water well on an island. The island itself has a long history from the slave trade times.
Great place to stay, beautfully chilled would love to go back sometime.

Room Tip: Must experience breakfast on the beach.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Ruby V

Reviewed April 2, 2014

I needed a time a way from home and work. we had a wonderful experience in the past at Sunrise Beach Resort, so i decided to visit it again. This time Riaan Thiart an his team was exellent to make my stay an unforgettable life experience..... from breakfast till sundowners on the beach.... one word for this beach is i would say Amazing :)

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank John M

We are kindly, very sorry for the inconvenience caused

Reviewed January 20, 2014

I was reading other reviews in this page and I just wondered to see some negative comments ,This is really a paradise , the service was amazing and the food was yummy . The beach frontage is so beautiful and was very clean . The rooms were well maintained and the atmosphere was very calm and cool . I really recommend this hotel when you are in Dar .

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business

Reviewed January 3, 2014

This is my favorite hotel so far in Dar es salaam. Service was exceptional. The rooms are sensational and staff are very attentive, Great rooms,view ( just few meters from the ocean ),bed' towels, pillows, tv, and work desk!! Food was fantastic ( try the thermidor lobster dish, just out of the world ) and service with a smile! Beautiful white soft sand that you cant find anywhere else.
Room rate was low for the value!.Since we arrived till we left the hotel we were pampered!!
i could not ask for anything to make my stay any better. Perfect! I can't wait to go back. Located only 30 minutes from the airport..you can't go wrong!!!!

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends