“On the southern side of Dar es Salaam, popular with Overland Back Packers”
Review of Mikadi Beach

and 1 more site!
Mikadi Beach
Reviewed July 4, 2013

Me and my husband stayed at Mikadi twice before and after our trip to Zanzibar. We have been priviledged to stay in a small cottage (they call it a Banda) right on the beach with the high tide surf just a few metres away. Sleeping facility is a mattress on the floor, but sufficient for good rest with mosquito nets. Ablutions are clean. Water for the showers are salt water but fresh water is provided for rinse. Food from the restaurant is expensive but good serving size. Close to the ferry that goes across to Dar es Salaam city.

• Stayed: June 2013

Reviewed June 28, 2013

mikadi beach was a lovely place, nice hammocks, bandas pool. but what does any of that matter when the staff steal? Every time I left anything anywhere it disappeared. Sun tan cream, expensive mosquito repellent, my mobile phone, but most upsetting my kindle. I'm away travelling for months and had only just arrived, and I read lots. Having my kindle stolen was heartbreaking. Not the cost so much, but the mega inconvenience.

It must have been staff at the hotel, as the items disappeared on different days. The beach has Askari (guards) and signs everywhere warning not to to visit the public beach in case you get robbed! very ironic!

Of course I spoke to the owner, a number of times. He was TOTALLY uninterested.

So I have to say - DO NOT STAY HERE.

Room Tip: stay at home!!
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed June 26, 2013

Value for its kind and the right banda can make it worth a few days stay. Relaxing atmosphere, decent food. Can get a bit crowded over weekends and the beach is not very tempting and distanced from the center of town by the ferry which is also positive as long as your not going around by car.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 19, 2013

Trevalled out to Tanzania on my own. Stayed a few days here either side of my trip to Kili/Safari/Zanzibar. Really nice place with a good vibe! Well stocked bar and varied menu which is good as no where to eat nearby unless you take a tuk-tuk. Food can take awhile, but that's no different from other places.

Having travelled around much of Tanzania - toilets and showers at the lodge were excellent! Toilet paper present!! Banda's were simple but all with a great view. Beach was clean, quiet and easy to swim out. Swimming pool was fab too!

Staff were friendly and welcoming. Konagi (local rum) slushes were amazing! Thank you to Lionel (manager) for making my stay really fun and for looking after me so well!

Well run place, efficient and lots of useful information on local notice board. Definitely a good place to stay especially if travelling on your own.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed April 19, 2013

A really nice location. Really nice and clean beach! We liked the place very much, unfortunatly the bandas we had was not the best. The matresses was horrible, my fiance got a lot of bedbugbites.

Toilets were good and the showers as well.

The food wasn't great, either the service - we had to wait 50 minutes for a pancake and a toast because the kitchen wasn't open at 08.30 in the morning. We recommend taking a tuk-tuk into town and eat there, recommend Serena hotell.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 14, 2013

We just moved to Dar es Salaam from New Orleans, LA, and needed an escape from the city. little did we know we were going to fall in love with a small beach community over at Mikadi camp. Long story short, pack your bags to stay for a while. And please don't pack your good old friend pretentious if you have on that is. Mikadi beach is a one of kind place, I am a New Orleanian and should know this kind of stuff trust me. We now live 5 min from the camp and are connected to the community of workers and travelers alike, we simply love the place. The beaches are amazing and its a good hub for Zanzibar travels and safari trips. See you soon.

Room Tip: Come to just Chill, and like I said leave your good old friend Mr or Mrs P outof the equation. this...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 13, 2013

Amazing and idyllic, mikadi beach is a great place to relax!
I had planned to stay a few days but stayed 2 weeks! The bandas are simple and comfortable and if you're lucky to get a front one - a beautiful view of the beach!
I truly love mikadi for the hospitality , the chilled out environment and the fun party nights.
Thanks Mikadi