“Good Hotel”

Ranked #22 of 43 Hotels in Tangier
Cph
“Good Hotel”
Reviewed August 14, 2014

Nice rooms, nice food, nice placement, lots of charme, lots of history. Good hotel with nice views.
I ve been staying there in couple, then with a baby.
Reception weak services, but not a big deal..I recommended it and will repeat.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
  • Turkish first
Eastern Sierra, CA
Reviewed July 16, 2014

Overall, this is a delightful property with some beautifully appointed public areas. The 1st floor lounge, pool and sitting areas offer views of busy Ave. Mohammed VI and the sea or the calm oasis around the pool. The 6th floor gym has a great view of the beach and sea. Most of the staff were very friendly but not always ready to solve problems.

Unfortunately, not everything works when it comes to the rooms. There were four of us - 2 adults, 2 teenagers - and we booked 2 rooms. The kids' room had a view of the sea the appliances worked. Our room had a view of the pool and very little was functional; the AC did not work nor did the mini fridge or one of the lights.

Also, there was no in-room safe, the TV remotes were marginally functional and the TV signal cut in and out. We were at the hotel during the World Cup and wanted to see some of the games at the property Luckily, the staff had set up a projection TV in the conference room and the lounge areas featured the games. Of course, we also went out to eat at restaurants that had TV coverage of the contests. Given that this was during Ramadan, however, not all restaurants were open during the games and/or they weren't showing them.

When I complained at the front desk about our AC they said that it didn't work at all in the hotel. This was amended that to say that it only worked on one side of the hotel after I pointed out that our sons' room's unit was quite functional. We moved rooms and then had an AC unit that discharged water down the wall and pooled all over the floor in short order.

The responses that we received echoed those alluded to in other reviews. When told that I hadn't reserved a room with a better view and couldn't be moved I replied that I'd booked something with AC and didn't care about the view as long we received what we'd paid for. Given that the property didn't seem very busy mid-week I was surprised that it was a problem. Also, the conditions of the unit rendered it dangerous and were ruining the property. After moving, however, we had a pleasant stay.

The bed was extremely comfortable and the amenities up to par with higher end hotels. The pool hours were limited in the evening (opened at 9:30, closed at 1900) and the gym had strange hours. Overall, we enjoyed our stay despite some of the shortcomings and indifference and would stay here again. We booked the hotel as it had a pool (very important for my wife), it was within walking distance of the ferry terminal and we received a decent nightly rate during our stay.

Thanks to the maintenance staff who were helpful when sent to the rooms.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Caudete, Spain
Reviewed June 30, 2014

We arrived at the Rif & Spa on 23rd June and stayed until 26th June. The hotel is charming and the staff could not be more assisting.

Having read a few of the reviews the weekend before we were due to arrive, I have to admit we were a little daunted as to what we could expect however, there was no need. From the moment we arrived until the moment we left we could not have asked for more. There were more than enough staff to attend to all our needs and we never had to ask more than once before our request was sorted.

Breakfast was continually replenished so everything was as fresh as you could want, the rooms were cleaned thoroughly on a daily basis and to a very good standard.

Our only "niggle" was the buffet evening meal which we felt let everything down. The food was not replenished and not very warm however we only went there once as there are many restaurants and bars within a short walking distance.

The pool area is welcoming and the staff were also happy to deal with all requests outside as they were with room service.

We travelled ourselves and were happy walking the prom in the evenings to and from various restaurants/bars and only once were we asked to buy anything from a street seller but after saying "no" twice we were left alone.

The beach is just across the road and it is a clean well kept beach. We were left alone whilst sunbathing or walking in the sea. There were lots of locals around doing the same as us, playing ball or even practising their gymnastics and were not at all intimidating.

Please do not let the previous reviews put you off. We all have different ideas and requirements but seriously this hotel is the oldest hotel in the area as it has been open for 86 years and may in places be a little tired but the maintenance men work hard daily to keep on top of everything.

Room Tip: We stayed on the 5th floor and whilst we could hear the road at busy times, with the window closed t...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank teevaughan
Doha, Qatar
Reviewed June 7, 2014

The hotel Is not recommended for even family or more than one day vacation or businesses trip , it's normal to ask many times for your needs , and it's very common for most of the reception staff to ignore you if you call for any thing.

The hotel is old and it may be authentic , but it's very dirty and the rooms smell bad, The breakfast is quite poor and repetitive , however the restaurant staff are very nice . The bath room and the rooms need overall maintenance .

If you have no more choice than this hotel , I would recommend you be calm and patient and ask several times if you need something and I hope you enjoy your stay and might me lucky than me .

Room Tip: Don’t ever take rooms beside the hotel services room like 311 ,as well , ask for rooms far from the...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
3 Thank Mohmed M

Travelers are raving about these Tangier hotels

United Kingdom
Reviewed May 27, 2014

We stayed here one night recently on our 4-day tour in Morocco. Compared to our hotel in Fez where we stayed two nights--this was better. Our room was 2-story with the bedroom being upstairs. Sounds great in theory until you have to go to the bathroom in the night! It was fitted with all modern conveniences, clean and there was a tub. The room with the upstairs and downstairs was very large. Hallways to your room were lovely and wide and the carpet, drapes and furniture were all well coordinated.

Being on a tour, our dinner was included. The salad part of the meal was excellent but the hot items leave a lot to be desired. You always here about the wonderful Moroccan food but you will NOT be getting it at the hotels on your tour! The hot food was so not memorable, I would suggest you stick with the salads, bread and desserts. I was thinking I would not be able to get wine as it is a Muslim country but I did enjoy great wine with my dinner and apart from the salad, that was the best part.

I probably had some romantic illusions about Morocco and no preconceived ideas about what to expect other than I realized I was visiting a place with a different culture and was excited to be going. There are a lot of construction booms in Tangier so there is an influx of money coming into the country. It's just disconcerting to realize that what is being built probably will not be occupied by Moroccans because they could never afford it. The average Moroccan makes about 44,000 dirhams/yr. or 4000 euros/yr. per our tour guide.

I appreciate their artistic and creative talent when it comes to mosaic work, leather goods, bronze serving plates, lanterns, carpets, fabrics, etc. but you have to be a good negotiator or you will be eaten alive! Stay OUT of carpet shops because they are the WORST! I drew the line at putting my name on the carpet!

Enjoy YOUR visit because I've been there and have no plans to revisit.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Queluz
Reviewed May 26, 2014

Just 200mts from the sea border and the medina, Rif & Spa is just in front of long Tanger beach and sidewalk. Big reception, good but old restaurant room, good and sufficient self-service food. Nice living rooms, a special restaurant room, a bar with piano music and an enjoyable swimming pool on the backyard. Some space have tipical arabic decoration. In our room, space and enough furniture with a big bathroom. A good foyer and a helpful staff. No problems at all. We stayed just one night at wednsday before Easter.

Room Tip: Our room was a backyard one, quiet ans large.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 19, 2014

If your looking for a romantic stay this hotel is not for you.
If your looking for service this hotel is not for you.
If your looking for a hotel with no problems this is not for you.

The hotel had no air conditioning for 30 hrs, then when it did it dripped into a puddle in our bathroom floor, not nice if you go to the bathroom in the middle of the night. Our fridge in the room was dead on arrive, they change it but the next day the other died and we came home to hot cheese and warm yogurt. The TVs didn't work.

We stayed two nights. At check-in we do not want to give all our personal details of where we are traveling to next or passport information to protect against identity theft or people placing items in your bags to smuggle to other countries knowing where your going next. I don't mind showing personal id but where I've been and where I'm going is my business. For this they didn't want to check us in.

Secondly even though we had paid for the hotel and taxes via Expedia they wanted us to pay and addition 150 per night. We paid as we just needed a bed. The hotel was already expensive but no way were we paying. Upon checkout they tried charging us again. We called Expedia and they said was correct, I asked why wasn't it in their price and they said the hotel insisted it was there way and not normal for Expedia.

On a good note I had a great meal in the traditional resturant but when we went there they wanted us to go into the breakfast room resturant not the nice traditional one. They sure know how to make us feel welcome, we think it's because we were the only ones in there and it was more convenient for them. Anyway we said no we want to eat here.

Lastly the prices at the bar are extortionate compared to Europe. 1 local cheap beer and 1 coffee was €9.50
Bottle of Moët $200. Yes the most expensive Moët I've ever seen in the world.

I loved the traditional rooms and dinner, one lady at the front desk was very kind, but with all the room problems, the expensive drinks, and the front desk experience it's very rear for me to provide a terrible review which I'm sad to be giving. My girlfriend literally just said "Get me out of here!"

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple