“Beautiful hotel with some issues”
Review of La Tangerina

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Tangier
La Tangerina
Ranked #2 of 43 Hotels in Tangier
“Beautiful hotel with some issues”
Reviewed January 24, 2014 via mobile

My family and some friends stayed here for three nights over New Years and had a great experience until check-out. The hotel is charming and the service staff is wonderful. But checking out was a huge ordeal because they are a cash-only establishment that happened to not have cash on hand to make change for guests. Since many of us didn't have exact change (for the various services including dinner and laundry that we paid in addition to our room charges) we ended up paying several euros more than we should have, because they didn't have change. Also, I had paid the deposit for our rooms by PayPal and the hotel had sent me a receipt by e-mail. But when I went to check out, they told me I had paid 17 euros less than I actually paid. It turns out this was a commission that PayPal charged, and the hotel passes the commission to the guests. (PayPal's policy is that sellers pay fees, not buyers. So the hotel should pay.) That coupled with their inability to give change, left a sour taste in my mouth. They need to get a credit card machine, or have lots of cash on hand to make change.

Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Andrea D

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (111)
Casablanca, Morocco
Reviewed January 20, 2014

My sister and I stayed at La Tangerina for a quick business overnight in Tangier. We love the charm of the hotel and the breakfast. The rooftop is amazing and relaxing. A must see in Tangier! The city can be an assault on your senses so it is important to book an oasis of a hotel.
I have sent friends here and would go back in a heartbeat.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Mushmina
Marrakech, Morocco
Reviewed January 20, 2014

This past weekend was my third time staying at La Tangerina and every time I am impressed by the hotel's beauty and cleanliness and the charming, accommodating staff. We stayed in the courtyard Suite #10 this time and the balconies on either side of the room were beautiful. The shower and pressure was great, the bed comfortable and soft bedding. We had a late train leaving town and they let us stay in the room very late as it was not booked that day. They brought us tea and biscuits whenever we requested, made us dinner reservations, got us taxis--even let me use their phone several times to call Marrakech. They couldn't be any nicer! I highly recommend this hotel!

Room Tip: The Suites are beautiful and spacious, with balconies.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed January 15, 2014

This little hotel is a gem! Great hosts, beautifully decorated, excellent and kind service, nicely located: a great way to discover (and for us to enter the Muslim world for the first time!) Morocco. And on top they speak French, Spanish, English apart from Arabic, so no chances of not being able to communicate!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Grantham, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 10, 2014

In all honesty, we did no research into finding this place: friends recommended a trip to Tangiers and told us of their itinerary the previous year, and we were impressed enough to duplicate it! Set into the Palace in the old walled Medina, you access this place by a road so narrow you swear that your Mercedes taxi (it will always be a Merc) has breathed in to gain access. It looks very unassuming from the outside, but it is a veritable Tardis internally. It is also supremely beautiful: an eclectic mix of period styles, but feeling more like home than hotel.

The open atrium simply invites you up to the two-level roof terrace. Both give you the most fantastic 360 degree views of Tangier and the Med: it is the perfect start to your stay in this fascinating city, and a great place to have sweet tea and home baked sweet delicacies. All the rooms are very individual, and have a 1930s feel with added mod cons. The old Radios are wonderful: they are connected up via transmitters to a central server, so no adjusting them, but the effect is perfect. Don't expect TVs or A/C - it's not that sort of place. The roof fan works well though.

Relaxing in the ground floor lounges is just perfect (especially with the fire lit), and the small dining room turned out the most wonderful Moroccan meal.

It's not perfect: one of our party had no working shower in her room the following morning, but the hotel staff go out of their way to be helpful.

Certainly, if I should visit Tangiers again (and I bet a certain rug trader will be chasing me around after his lost sale), I will book into La Tangerina again. A superb hotel.

Room Tip: For a double room, ask for No.6 - it's a suite with a terrace. For a quirkly twin room, ask for...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Theo P
Demarest, New Jersey
Reviewed January 8, 2014

The service at the family owned establishment was exceptional. Be sure to enjoy the rooftop patio. It will take you on a journey through time and space. What a wonderful place! The rooms had wonderful character and were extremely well maintained.

Room Tip: We had the suite just up the steps which was delightful. But it seemed that every room had characte...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank grpai
Aladena
Reviewed January 7, 2014 via mobile

My family, three friends, and I spent 3 nights in this sweet hotel right on the wall of the old city. For the most part it was a great experience. The staff were wonderful and the owners super friendly. We had a few issues with some of the rooms: one had no windows whatsoever except to the hall; one was freezing cold, they couldn't get the radiating heat to work effectively; and my room often reaked of sewerage. Glitches that were all brought to the attention of the staff but which made me not give it the highest mark. They are a cash only hotel so be prepared to have the euros or dollars in cash. They need it improve their accounting system and if they insist on cash only, have sufficient cash on hand to make change. We were there for New Year's Eve and while it was a fun time we felt that it was way overpriced for what we got and compared to other restaurants in Tangier. Having said all this, we really loved it and it's great location. Would definitely return.

Stayed January 2014, traveled with family