“A Breath of Fresh Air”
Review of La Tangerina

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Tangier
La Tangerina
Ranked #2 of 44 Hotels in Tangier
Reviewed September 17, 2011

Our family loved this hotel. We would have spent a week lounging on the rooftop terrace if we had the time. We loved our room with the loft bed, the view of the Straight of Gibralter, and the lovely decor. The staff were very helpful in every way. We wanted to swim in the ocean, so they arranged a cab to pick us up and take us to a beach club where we could enjoy a day of swimming even though it was Ramadan and many places were closed. We had dinner at the hotel one night, and it was delicious, as were all of the breakfasts and the lovely mint tea on the roof deck. When we had to leave they arranged a cab which for some reason did not show up, so the owner drove us to the ferry himself. Really, I don't think I have ever stayed in such a charming place with such attentive and lovely service, and I have stayed in a LOT of hotels all over the world.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank charidawn

Reviewed August 28, 2011

What a wonderful hotel, probably the best small hotel I have ever stayed in. With just 10 rooms the staff are always available to help you or answer any questions, there was a very welcoming, family, homely feel to the place, as if you were staying with family or a good friend, yet not intrusive in any way! We were greeted with big smiles and a pot of hot mint tea and cakes served to us on the roof terrace!
Our room (room 4) was super, very unique and compact but it was clean and had everything we needed. The beds were comfortable, the shower was big, with lots of hot water, fresh, clean white towels & toiletries! Also despite there not being AC in the rooms, we felt very cool and comfortable during the night with just having a small window open, this was surprising considering it was the middle of August! The down side was that, with having the windows open, we were woken very early by the sunrise call to prayer from a speaker not far from our window - I know this is to be expected in a prominently islamic country, but for some reason the early morning call to prayer seemed to be much longer than any of the other calls to prayer that day, which was a bit unexpected!! We were also visiting during Ramadan, maybe next time I will visit at a different time of the year.
I must say, it was a good job I was sharing the twin room with a very close female cousin, despite our room being very well layed out and presented, there was no door to the bathroom, just a slight partition, had I been sharing the room with a male friend or relative it may have been a bit awkward!! We did see other rooms in the hotel that weren't occupied at the time and they did have doors on their bathrooms, so If I ever go back there with anyone other than my boyfriend or very close female friend, I would probably choose a different room!
The food was excellent!! We really couldn't fault it!! We ate breakfast and our evening meal on their spectacular roof terrace, looking out to sea. The evening meal was extremely good value for money for 20 euros each, we had a fab 4 course meal plus coffee!! With a great waiter, waiting on just us and 1 other table... we really couldn't have found a better view, service or better food at a restaurant!
The staff organised a fantastic tour guide to show us around the medina, he was very helpful and knowledgeable of the area! I would highly recommend using this hotels tour guide! We also had a walk around the kasbah and small streets near the hotel on our own in the evening, we felt very at ease and safe, the locals were all friendly and helpful to us!
The whole time I was at La Tangerina I felt extremely relaxed and content, I loved just chilling out on their comfy sofa's & cushions in the sun on the roof terrace, listening to jazz music from their little vintage radio's :0)
The added bonus was that all of the staff spoke multiple languages, I come from a French speaking home but I was traveling with my British cousin, we were able to converse easily in both French and English with all staff! We also heard them speaking, Italian, Arabic and Spanish to other guests!
I would definitely stay at La Tangerina again :0) and highly recommend anyone else to stay there too when visiting Tangier!

Room Tip: room 4 - Only share with very close friends or partner, no door to the bathroom!! The price just ref...
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank Clair_Archie
Reviewed August 2, 2011

We booked room 10, which has a million dollar view of the sea! I woke up early just to savor the sunrise and watch the Kasbah come to life. Breakfast was terrific; fresh squeezed orange juice, and delightful jams unlike anything I've tasted in the States. Cleanliness was beyond reproach, hotel staff were readily available, extremely friendly, and made our stay unforgettable!

Room Tip: room 10 is a must
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank Aneea
Reviewed July 28, 2011

¨Gracious¨.

If I had to use one word to describe La Tangerina guest house, its gracious owner Farida and her wonderful staff, I would say ¨gracious¨.

The home is high on the bluff inside the ancient Kasbah (old fort), above the Medina (old town), and its Souk (market).

You look down on the fort walls from La Tangerina´s rooftop patio (you also look out on the ocean and Spain from the rooftop patio). The view is spectacular and the patio is one of the most relaxing places I know.

We arrived hot and tired. Our bags were immediately taken to our rooms. We were immediately offered sodas, water, wine, drinks. After showering, we made our way to the rooftop patio, where we were offered (and gratefully accepted) mixed drinks while we relaxed.

Our senior suite #6 was on the third floor, and had a wonderful cross-breeze, small patio and ceiling fan. It easily sleeps 4. Our other room #4 was on the second floor and has 2 twin beds, no fan, but several windows so still a cross-breeze. Both had private, in-room bathrooms.

There is no air conditioning in the old home, but after the sun set the temperature in Tangier dropped so much that we slept very comfortably.

I´m an early riser, so the morning found me on the rooftop, relaxing, reading a book and very happy. Early morning on La Tangerina´ś rooftop is utterly perfect. Breeze, gorgeous view, sun rising, comfortable temperature. Wonderful.

Suddenly the night guard appeared, set down a cup of coffee with milk, said good morning in French, and left. I forgot that I asked Farida the evening before (while she was pouring our drinks) how early I could get coffee. She said that breakfast starts at 8am, but I could ask the night guard for coffee when I woke. I didn´t ask him, but obviously she told him to make sure I had coffee in the morning and he made it and carried it up the 4 floors to me. I offer this as an example of the gracious kindness we were shown, and the way Farida and her staff anticipated our needs and proactively met them.

After my wife and kids woke, we were served a wonderful breakfast of pastries, bread, jam, fruit, coffee, hot chocolate, milk and crepes on the rooftop patio. It was absolutely perfect.

I´ve been many places in my life, and really, really, really loved this guest house.

A word on Tangier... we took the FRS ferry from Tarifa, Spain. This is the ONLY way to go to Tangier. 35 minutes on a big catamaran. The other ferry crossing takes 3 hours and is a BIG boat, then a long bus ride to Tangier.

I read many, many stories about how Tangier is dirty, crowded, the shop owners too aggressive, etc., etc., etc. So much that we almost didn´t go.

Well, we had a nice time in Tangier, and our children (ages 9, 10 and 15) thoroughly enjoyed experiencing a new and very different culture than their own.

Sure, there were multiple people at the ferry port offering to carry our bags, guide us, etc. But they accepted a polite-but-firm ¨no¨ and mostly left us alone. Sure, there were shop owners in the Souk that wanted us to look in their shop and buy their wares. Some were more aggressive than others. But again, they mostly accepted a polite-but-firm ¨no thank you¨ if we weren´t interested. Sure the Medina and Souk are very crowded, with old buildings and broken streets and cars making their way through throngs of people.

Folks, this is part of the culture, and the reason you go to Morocco. If you can´t handle the culture, don´t go.

We never, ever felt unsafe (husband, wife, 3 kids). We went out walking at night in the Medina, well after dark, and were absolutely fine. Seriously, if this isn appealing to you, I´m sure Disney World or Branson Missouri are lovely this time of year.

We couldn´t find our restaurant. Someone found us (who spoke English), and for a few Euros walked us there (a great use of a few Euros if youŕe lost in a foreign country, don´t speak the language, and have tired kids!). We wanted to buy cigarettes, and numerous people helped us find a shop.

The shop owners in the Grand Bazaar in Istanbul were infinitely more aggressive than in the Souk of Tangier. I´ve felt more uneasy in Mexico, Russia, New York City and frankly Columbus, Ohio than in Tangier. I´ve been more proactively cheated in Venice, Italy than anything I experienced in Tangier.

Itś a crowded, dry, ancient city. They don´t have street cleaning machines. Cars and people share the same roadway. But we really, really enjoyed our trip and would have missed a wonderful opportunity of we had listened to the stories about how bad Tangier is, and stayed away.

Day 1 we arranged a professional guide to pick us up at the port. Two I recommend very highly are Aziz Benami whose website is TangierPrivateGuide.com and Hamid whose email is Hamid_Guide@Hotmail.FR ; I recommend both without hesitation). This was a great move. AIr conditioned van, camel ride, Hercules cave, Medina, Souk, the obligatory rug store, etc. It was the best way to become acquainted with Tangier on your first day.

Then we overnighted at La Tangerina.

Day 2 Farida arranged a taxi to the beach and lent us some towels. Although it was not the cleanest beach or water we´ve ever seen, we swam, suntanned, had a great day, and THOROUGHLY enjoyed seeing all of the locals (especially the cultural differences in how the Moroccan locals (almost all Muslims) were dressed for the beach.

The beach was busy, with 99% Moroccans, yet we felt very safe. No one was bothered by our presence. The 1% of tourists we saw were dressed like tourists - some with typical western bathing suits on the women - and again noone seemed to care.

We found Moroccoś culture to an interesting mix of tradiitonal Muslim and yet quite accepting of tourists.

At the beach there were vendors selling sodas, cookies, pastries and sandwiches walking the beach (we bought lots of drinks and snacks). There were showers at the beach.

Then we grabbed a taxi to the hotel, changed clothes, grabbed our bags, and went to the port.

Our 30 hours in Tangier were perfect. a day trip would have been too little. If La Tangerina had rooms available on our second day, we would have stayed longer (they unfortunately didn´t). I could have sat on the roof for an entire day and read.

One more thing... noone stole from us or cheated us in Tangier. I made mistakes on money several times (unusual for me, but I had 3 different currencies wit)h me), and each time the shop keeper corrected me and was honest. I concluded people are generally honest there.

Sure, the kids on the beach selling soda charged me more than they charged the locals. That´s to be expected. I´m caucasian, speak English instead of French or Arabic, and am obviously a tourist. Sure, the guy sitting outside of the free public showers insisted that I pay 2 Durhams per person (70 cents for 3 of us) admission to a free shower. This was more amusing to me than anything else, and will be part of the stories we tell our friends back home.

But on the things that mattered, we found people to be as honest and fair as any place we´ve travelled. We left thinking that Tangier gets a ¨bad rap¨ from most of the tour books and sites.

We were very glad we went to Tangier. If we go to Tangier again, we would ABSOLUTELY, POSITIVELY stay at La Tangerina again.

The only reason we might not return is that after experiencing the Moroccan culture, we want to go to Fez and Marrakech and possibly Casablanca, too ...

Room Tip: Book the hotel well in advance, and hire a professional guide for your first day.
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
11  Thank Travelling-Buckeye
Reviewed June 10, 2011

Almost all the guide books warn you about Tangier hustlers... But beware of Abdullah (or so he told us his name was). Last I saw, he was wearing an all white djellabah, and rocked a satin green Fez hat... This man will guilt trip you beyond belief to be his friend and then exploit you the minute you want him to go away; do not show weakness in your eyes!!

As you can all see, we had a pretty scarring experience with this Abdullah character - which further encouraged us to retreat into the restful calm and tasteful luxury of La Tangerina. We ordered dinner in the one night, and I almost daresay it was some of the best food I had on the entire trip!)

Farida is a gracious hostess, with a beautiful hotel (and I mean oh so beautiful) that is worth going to Tangier just for the stay.

• Stayed: May 2011
Reviewed June 3, 2011

We spent two nights here with a group and we were really impressed with our accommodations. The owner is very nice and the staff are very professional. Breakfast is 'served' on the rooftop terrace. We had an opportunity to dine here as well, and the meal with the sun setting as a backdrop could not be beat.

The common rooms are all nicely appointed. Our room was narrow, but it faced the ocean. My only complaint is it would have been nice to have a ceiling fan in the room (a/c would be asking for too much in this fine old hotel).

We had an opportunity to check out the other guest's rooms. One room had a private courtyard. There were two that had a ladder leading up to the bed which really isn't conducive for older folks, but the winner was the rooftop room. Or if you only require a bed and a view, ask for Room 11 and you won't be disappointed.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank Linnbada
Reviewed April 1, 2011

We came to La Tangerina for two nights and stayed for five -- and I only wish we could have stayed longer. We're veteran travelers and have stayed in countless places over many years, and La Tangerina will be etched in our dreams. It was magical. Tangier is a fascinating but sometimes difficult city, and La Tangerina was such a lovely haven of peace, tranquility, amazing hospitality, and utter charm and elegance. Fresh flowers, delicious Moroccan pastries, healthy, abundant, organic breakfasts, antiques, mint tea, incredible views and location. The hosts were wonderful. One cold rainy night they made us a intimate, romantic, delicious dinner for two -- which was preceded by a private Moroccan haman (steam bath). The value was extraordinary. .... If you're looking for a big, bland luxury place with huge bathrooms and giant beds -- La Tangerina is not for you. It is quirky, wonderful, charming, unique, one-of-a-kind, a lovely blend of its Moroccan and German proprietors. We will be back!

Room Tip: Book ahead, and be explicit.
  • Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple