“awesome stay!”
Review of Hotel Continental

Hotel Continental
Ranked #9 of 44 Hotels in Tangier
Reviewed October 30, 2011

I came here with my friend (we're both 20 year old girls who don't speak a word of arabic). This hotel was a godsend! We had a clean room, a comfortable bed, the friendliest staff (Jimmy is hilarious and was incredibly welcoming/wise) and the best view I've ever seen from a hotel. You can see the Bay and it's gorgeous. The area around the hotel is a bit sketch, but that's just the culture here, you need to walk around with guys. We asked the hotel desk for a tour guide for the day and that is where our trip went from great to awesome! Mohsin was the kindest, most honest tour guide I've ever had! He didn't even ask for a price at the end of a 7 hour (instead of the 3 we had asked...we kept wanting to see more!) tour, he simply said "as you wish, I know you are students". He even tried to give us 200 dirham back. I couldn't be happier with my Tangier trip and I wish it could be longer. This hotel was incredible.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank prakash_divya22

Reviewed October 18, 2011

It wasn't as bad as I expected after reading some reviews on here about it. Our room was spacious and clean, with a flat screen tv and en suite. The balcony rooms were full, so we didn't get a balcony or a view. Hotel is very atmosphere free and the only reason to stay here would be if you are catching an early ferry as it is literally in the port. A bad location for us as the area is quite dilapidated and boring. We got an online discount, which was good as the walk in price was over 70 euros for 2 people! Very overpriced I feel.

Room Tip: Ask for a balcony room.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank snowcat84
Reviewed October 9, 2011

Hotel Continental, Tangier hasn't changed much since 1862, just deteriorated gently.
It’s just my kind of place - comparable with the Baron, Aleppo, the Imperial, Jerusalem and the grander Pera Palace, Constantinople before it was tarted up. And a snip. Thirty something euros a night. Unfortunately I discovered there was no hot water for some reason to do with lack of pressure whatever that means. In some rooms apparently there was slightly warm water (August). I haggled for a discount when I paid my bill but nevertheless I would give this wonderful hotel four and a half out of five. The Continental is the kind of hotel that has a piano. Wonderful Arab tiles and glorious empty unused public rooms with divans for lolling on - so-so breakfast on balcony overlooking the port. I am reliably informed by an Englishman settled in tangier that they have taken down some of the original decor but most public rooms seem remarkably well preserved 1860s Arab pastiche. A wonderful hotel but not for Americans who want luxury and who always seem to write reviews complaining about its lack. I expect there was AC - I didn't think I tried it. Tangier by the way is wonderful if you befriend the eccentric English colony.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank Paulvew
Reviewed October 8, 2011

I have stayed at the Continental a couple of times, both enjoyable.
The interiors have great charm, down at heel Agatha Christie ambience.
The hotel faces the ferry terminal and is at the entrance to the grubby old Medina.
I would not stay for more than a night, or two at a push.
Ask for a room with a balcony overlooking the port.
Hotel is a bit smelly but that strangely adds to its charm.

Room Tip: Balcony facing the port.
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank flashtrade
Reviewed September 12, 2011

Nice hotel. There is a lovely outside sitting area that give you a pleasant view of the ocean. Nice breakfast. Location is very handy for exploring the souqs.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled solo
2  Thank Jovan_10
Reviewed August 30, 2011

The rooms were very comfortable and clean. The hotel is located on the edge of the medina and close to restaurants and cafes. It is within easy walk of the beach and its bars and clubs. The hotel had a very nice terrace where a nice breakfast was served. The terrace had great views over the coast and city. There was a small bazaar within the hotel where interesting souvenirs and local handicrafts were on sale. The staff were very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank SydneyBambam
Reviewed August 15, 2011

I've stayed at the Continental twice - first time 10 years ago and now in 2011. Loved it the first time and nothing's changed.

We stayed for 5 nights and had a good poke around the hotel. Much of it is unused and it's like Aladdin's cave. Look carefully at the front desk and you will see the Royal recommendation from the Duke of Edinburgh - no, not Prince Philip but Queen Victoria's husband, circa 1870. Ask for a room with a seperate sitting room, there's a great one on the second floor.

The views from most rooms are across the Tangier Harbour, make sure you ask for one. Most of the bathrooms have been modernised and many are huge, so no problems there. The breakfast room and the rooms around it are simply magnificent with all the original hand-crafted Morrocan decoration. The breakfast itself is quite basic, but better than we got in many riads.

Decent tasty traditional meals are served for lunch and in the evenings in the restaurant at cheap prices, but beware - no alcohol is served. Restaurant staff are very friendly. The location is actually in the medina, great for exploring and quite safe. Touts are discouraged from hanging around the gate by staff members and we were never approached.

Free wifi is available. Front counter staff vary in their grasp of English, but it's all part of the experience. Everyone is scrupulously honest - a real plus when travelling.

Don't expect modern conveniences (except bathrooms), this is as it was 120 years ago. We simply loved it, although if the Hilton / Novotel is more your style, it might not be your cup-of-tea.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple