“Two day tour to Tangiers from Spain”
Review of Hotel Continental

Hotel Continental
Ranked #8 of 43 Hotels in Tangier
Vancouver, BC
“Two day tour to Tangiers from Spain”
Reviewed July 28, 2011

We were pleasantly surprised. The hotel is old (first built in 1870) but exhibits charm from the old days. Take the time to explore the public rooms with mosaic, bas relief and great photos from the history of the hotel. Our room faced the ferry terminal and fishing fleets. There was a separate sitting room from the bedroom. The staff was really respectful and the service had an old world charm to it. It wasn't hard to find a staff member who spoke English, French and Spanish as well as Arabic. The hotel is close to the Medina, too. If you are on a tour, you will be hurried through it but go the next day on your own and it is way more relaxing! The only complaint we had was that there were mosquiitos but no window screens, fans or air conditioning.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank HBrown123

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Malaga, Spain
Reviewed July 2, 2011

On the first night I was allocated a small interior room with no fan or air con. Being late June, it was extremely hot. in order to breathe i had to open the window, so dripping with sweat and getting eaten alive by mosquitos (despite being lathered head to toe in jungle formula) I began to realise i wasn´t going to sleep a wink. At around 4am I go down to reception to ask for another room. "Not possible" says the spaced out receptionist in his pyjamas, "if you´d have asked earlier we could have helped you, but now all the rooms are occupied."
"could i borrow a fan then," I ask.
"you could open the window"
"but then i get bitten by the mosquitos"
"well then you can´t open the window " he says, turning back to his paper.

After a brief pause to think, anger kicks in. I´m paying 400 dirhams a night for this! I can´t understand why they don´t put fans in the rooms without air con when they are so cheap.
"can i have the complaints book please?" At least now i have his attention. He puts his paper down and looks me in the eye.
"tomorrow. you can have the book tomorrow when the new shift starts." (Yeah, right).
"there has got to be a book here now. i need to use it"
"not possible. the other guy has it"
"i´m not going anywhere until i see that book!!"

Magically a key appears out of thin air. So there was another room after all. "Try 116."

Back at my third floor furnace i gather a few bits and go down to 116 to see the arrangement. Still no fan or air con but a much bigger room with a high ceiling and noticeably cooler. I would be able to sleep with the window shut so I have a cold shower, get into bed and.....no pillow. Back up to the third floor to transfer it from the old room. By time I get back i am hot and bothered again so need another shower to cool off. It´s nearly 6 by time i can sleep.

The next night 15-20 kids are smoking kif and shouting at each other outside my window until 4am. I try to sleep with my headphones on but they dig into my ear and i have to give up. I am asleep by 5 but the maid barged in on me at 830.

In summary: if you value your sleep don´t stay at this hotel!! short of that try for one of the rooms with air con away from the noisy side street.

Room Tip: avoid 312. 221 has air con. 116 is nice but noisy.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank sbol1

Travelers are raving about these Tangier hotels

Bucharest, Romania
Reviewed June 24, 2011

OK, I see that a lot of people were pissed off about this property so I'd like to hopefully clarify things a bit for people who might want to stay here in the future:

1) This hotel is not in any way "modern"...you won't find LCD TVs, 24h room service, tea & coffee makers, etc.

2) This extends to the attitude of the staff...you will not be dealing with staff trained (although "drilled" is more appropriate) to smile constantly and put up with any kind of abuse...you will be dealing (at least at Reception) with several old gentlemen who are actually very nice people IF addressed respectfully

That being said, here is our experience:

- we arrived quite early in the morning and were given two keys, being told to take our pick of the two rooms...the first one was not particularly nice, but the second was great - large vintage bed, a view towards the hillside "favela" style houses of Tangier, a large bathroom and perfectly clean conditions all around. So yes, they also have crappy rooms, but their occupancy rate never seems to be high enough to leave you without choices...this is one of those hotels were you can even simply show up without a reservation and pick a room, the rack rates are not different from the rates you reserve using booking.com

- All the public areas of the hotel are extremely charming, especially the breakfast area is one of the most beautiful I've ever seen.

- Although it is an old hotel, they have excellent (and free!) wireless Internet on all floors

- In regards to cleanliness, our room (clean to begin with) was even redone while we were out in the afternoon, the (once again, very "old-school") maids even nicely folded the clothes we had thrown around the place when we had hurriedly unpacked.

So yes, this hotel is like a trip back in time, yes some rooms are not nice, but if you understand what to expect I fail to see how you won't have a very nice stay here...I would also like to add that this feeling was shared by several other fellow tourists we chatted with during/after our stay...and looking at typical pricing in Morocco, this hotel is actually quite cheap for what you get!

Room Tip: Take your time and pick a nice one
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
6 Thank johnflorin
TANGIER
Reviewed June 22, 2011

The Continental is an amazing hotel so typical of the charm of Tangier. It is not a 5 star place but then it does not charge 5 star prices. Try to get a room with balcony on the front. tip the chambermaid and you will be treated like a king.It's shabby chic and you must have class to appreciate this. I have stayed there many times with my husband and it's like going home as it's so friendly. By the way we have stayed in many 5 star hotels eg RITZ London but it's impossible to compare any other hotel with the Continental.It is the venue chosen by the various personalities who still frequent Tangier and you will always be amazed by your fellow guests.

Room Tip: Ask for romms on the front with balcony
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank HUGOTangier
paris
Reviewed June 14, 2011

This hotel is a stain in Tangier's underpants. After I got back and re-read some of the reviews that had convinced me to stay there, I was just flabbergasted that anyone could have felt safe and comfortable there. I'm not a picky person. I can handle a little dirt, some noise, some crappy towels. I also lived in west africa for two years. I got used to rough conditions, and even kind of like them. But just so you know, the Continental is nothing like what you see in the pictures. It isn't close to being a nice, or even a reasonable place to stay.
I checked in, saw the room (which hadn't been cleaned since its previous occupant checked out), shrugged, put my bag down, and got the cleaning staff to attend to my room. While they did I walked around a bit.
The guy who runs the bodega attached to the hotel is named Johnny or Jimmy (real name? riiiight), and he will try to sell you on the idea of the Continental being THE place for celebrities to stay. He'll show you pictures of himself with John Malkovich (looking around nervously, and with a full head of hair), and a few other celebrities. None of those pictures could have been more recent than 1985.
I went back to my room, and didn't feel a lot better about the place. The carpet is disgusting and worn down to the threads in mysterious places. The furniture falls apart when you touch it, but the thing that did it most was the fact that the door was made of two pieces of plywood and didn't have a lock. A hotel room that doesn't lock. Unbelievable.
I went down to the front desk and checked out. Walked down the street and found a reasonably priced 5 star hotel that has a swimming pool and serves alcohol. I was still charged for the whole week I had paid for in advance, but to me, it was worth losing the money NOT to have to stay there. It is a nightmare of a place. Avoid at all costs. Please, strangers, trust me on this. Do not stay there.

Stayed June 2011, traveled solo
5 Thank octopusofthesea
Lowell, Arkansas
Reviewed June 2, 2011

My friends and I bought the Tangier ferry tour and it included one night at this hotel.The hotel is cool looking and the views are amazing. The room was not the greatest... I had to take a COLD shower because the HOT water came out BROWN! Our room also had a window right next to the shower and it did not have a curtain so it was awkward. I would find a different hotel if you decide to stay the night in Tangier.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
3 Thank ATorres_10
England
Reviewed May 29, 2011

The price of this hotel is very reasonable and the hotel itself was lovely. It has clearly seen some better days but it still has a sense of grandeur. The rooms were very big and clean and we really enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple