“Fun, Relaxing Bar”

Ranked #7 of 43 Hotels in Tangier
Chicago
“Fun, Relaxing Bar”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 24, 2014 via mobile

The bar at the El Minzah is elegantly appointed, with a great staff and excellent service. We did not stay here, but it's well located between the medina and the new city. Built in the 1930s, it's hosted many famous guests. Great live music most nights. We really enjoyed our time here, most specifically due to the professionalism and hospitality of Mohammed, the manager in the lounge. He was one of the most friendly and welcoming people we met during our stay in Tangier. We came back to the hotel for drinks and food twice during our stay because of Mohammed's wonderful service and great personality. He even provided us with his personal mobile # in case we needed any help while in Tangier. Top notch experience that we won't soon forget!

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
  • Arabic first
Ipswich
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2014

This is an old-fashioned sort of hotel where the staff are polite and friendly .The bars offer alcoholic drinks and food can be chosen from a Moroccan or international menu( both of excellent quality).I am told that the hotel has a well deserved reputation as most luxurious hotel in North Africa,and I can believe it . It truly exudes old world charm and is one of the most memorable hotels I have ever stayed in.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank oldboyIpswich
Philadelphia, PA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 11, 2014

We stayed at El Minzah for only one night. Hotel was highly recommended and the initial impression was very good - very nice looking property, helpful staff at the reception, free wifi, etc. Room also looked great with a spectacular view. The beginning of our stay was excellent. However... I do not want to write a "bash" review for this hotel, just list a few facts so that you could make your own conclusions:
1. Other than at reception, nobody spoke English, only French and Spanish
2.. We could not make a room service order because of the above and someone had to come up so that we could show what we wanted. Funny enough we still did not get what we ordered
3. We traveled with our son, the room had two bath towels and one a face one(!) for the three of us.
4. Wake up call was set and confirmed, but... not called. As the result we were late and our day was simply screwed.
5. Because we were late we could not have a breakfast, included in the price. When we asked for the manager hoping that we could take a sandwich for our 9 yo son, he simply said that "it is your problem that you do not have time to eat breakfast"
6. Nobody made an effort to help us with the luggage when we were leaving
7. Hotel charged us 35% more for a small bad for our son, which took several phone calls to housekeeping, as nobody could/wanted to understand us

This list could be continued, but I am sure the picture is pretty clear.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the ocean/sea
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
4 Thank niksk001

Travelers are raving about these Tangier hotels

Lille
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 8, 2014

Before I retired, I was able to stay in some of the best hotels around the globe for my work. El Minzah should have been one of them. Not only was I disappointed after having looked at the photos on Internet (they show rooms that look three times the size of what I had) and praise given to food, etc.
As we had not had lunch when we arrived, the first stop was the restaurant. Brunch was being served (around 11-30pm) but it was that and nothing else. I have never eaten such an expensive small salad in my life.
The rooms were definitely not sound proof. I don't mind the laughter but sometimes it is not that at all.
I was looking forward to a hot bath or shower. The water tank had been out of order in Assilah so here at least it would be hot. Well it was, but the bath plug was inserted in such a way that there was no way I could get it out. The water "stayed in place" for over an hour.....
Trays with left over food stayed on the table in the hallway before my room alongside a full ashatray - for 24 hours. This is 5 star service?
I decided that I would try out the Spa for a facial....having worked in the cosmetic industry for over 40 years I was appalled by the service, the facial, the cleaniless of the Spa and as for the personnel - they get 0 for service. I can assure you tht I did not tip.
What should be a beautiful hotel due to its position and history turned out to be a rather poor experience....what a shame!

Room Tip: If you want a central hotel - yes, this a good one but if you want 5 star service and conditions, it...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
4 Thank Catherine K
Leighton Buzzard, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 8, 2014

This is possibly the fifth time I have stayed for a few days in this hotel and each time they have recognised me and even offered me the same room as I had last year. This is the old-fashioned sort of service you do not get now. In the cello bar of the quad, I even had a table reserved that I liked on a previous occasion! I was also approached by the trio on the next table and got into conversation. I found I was actually talking to members of the Moroccan Royal Family. This is a place you will see familiar faces but you are not to recognise them!
My room was fine, everything worked (including the satellite YV and wifi) and I had a large and very comfortable double bed to myself. Shirts left outside my door were back at 12 noon the same day, beautifully folded and presented as new. Breakfast was excellent with the largest choice I have met in Morocco - and Moroccan mzemen prepared by the lady for me and delivered to my table. I had excellent service and fresh coffee brought to me regularly.
The New Year's Eve dinner for the Fete de San Sylvester was spectacular with two excellent (and large!) traditional Moroccan Atlas bands, a Moroccan dancer, a lady singer with a good modern Moroccan group, as well as a final band to see in the New Year. The meal was also very good and the half bottle of Medaillon a treat. I am already starting to save up for a visit at the end of this year.
I did not use the spa - but should have done.

Room Tip: My room was very quiet overlooking the garden and car park, 121.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Stephen J
Malaga, Spain
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 8, 2014

Been many times in the past for New Year. This year was terrible. New Year´s Eve in marque built over swimming pool. Very cold, no heating. Had to wait an hour to be served with a drink. Menu not published until the evening. Price increased, less courses and for the first time wine was not included . Was not informed prior to the evening. Main meal was inedible as cold and meat was tough Entertainment scaled down too. Evening was finished by 1.00 a.m. So disgusted checked out following morning. Felt cheated. Never again. Shame we have been a regular visitor for the last 20 years

Room Tip: Choose a room facing pool and gardens.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple