“Excellent customer service”
Review of El Minzah Hotel

El Minzah Hotel
Ranked #8 of 44 Hotels in Tangier
Reviewed April 21, 2013

I wrote an earlier review noting that the hotel lacked free wi-fi. A representative from the hotel wrote to apologize and promised that the hotel intended to offer complimentary wi-fi in the future. I am back for the first time since then and they do indeed have free wi-fi service now.

It is a beautiful hotel in a great location and I am very impressed by their attention to detail.

Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Jennifer B

Reviewed April 8, 2013

Once you arrive in Morocco (anywhere that's relatively within driving distance via a Grand Taxi), just tell your driver "Minzah" -- it's by far the most well-known hotel in the entire country. My wife and I had a fantastic stay here for four (4) nights.

Honestly, I didn't know what to think before I booked this trip ... but I knew I didn't have too much time off from work, and I wanted to say I'd seen Africa! So, a taxi to JFK and 12 hours later, we arrived ... and it was wonderful.

Yes, be wary of hacklers ... and no, not everyone loves Americans. BUT -- get to Minzah, and they will take care of you. They'll make sure you never go a minute without whatever it is you need.

"Where can I get a razor?" 5 minutes later, room service brought a razor blade, shaving cream and a comb (complimentary).
"How can we get to El Medina?" Within a moment's notice, the hotel concierge called upon the great Momo (tour guide), who gave us a SPECTACULAR 4-hour tour throughout the city without whom we'd never have seen Tangiers the way it was meant to be seen!
"Where should we go to eat?" ... Concierge sent us with an escort (for about 1E tip), who guided us right to the door of my wife's and my now most favorite restaurant!

I highly recommend splurging a little and staying at El Minzah. Everyone there is amazing, helpful and super friendly. We loved our stay and will be returning!

Oh, and breakfast in the mornings is unreal! :) :) Thank you, Hotel El Minzah!!

2  Thank Daniel M
Reviewed April 8, 2013

I think that by Tangier/Morocco standards this was an excellent hotel. I met people who had been staying elsewhere and moved to this hotel and were quite happy. Although I did not get to eat at their "gourmet" restaurant, the traditional meal was good and the cous cous was the best I ever had. I hired a driver to take me to the Bizarre and tour the local area. I guess I had to ask myself why I went to Tangier. But the hotel was very nice, charming, a "classic". The outside pool was out of service while I was there - but the indoor pool and gym were excellent.
The staff were both helpful and indifferent depending who I dealt with. For example- started out so helpful, but then when I asked to have the room that I paid for (I paid for a balcony and was put in a small, stuffy room)- one guy actually rolled is eyes at the other. They ended up giving me a lovely room- but the staff member insisted on making my carry my own luggage and run after him.
The breakfast was excellent.
Sounds like it was the best hotel choice for the area though!!

Room Tip: Get a room with a balcony
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank aterenzio
Reviewed April 8, 2013

while beautiful and with the bets location possible in Tangier, the hotel staff made for an unpleasant experience...

as said teh hotel is nice, the rooms OK. Although one might question the price premium the Minza asks in comparison with other hotels which haven't been brushed up as of late, but still offer good and clean quality, but for a third of the price

We travelled in a big group of friends and two incidents spoiled the trip. First there were some problems paying the dinner bill as all of a sudden exactly 1000 dirham went missing (100 euros) and nobody was responsible (we had counted more than once...) after some discussion we went the hotel manager who then dropped the topic rather quickly as we mentioned that we already had a bad impression as poeple were 'upgraded' and then charged a premium for the 'upgrade'

All in all, a nice, yet expensive place with questionable morale

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
9  Thank Paul F
Reviewed April 7, 2013

We stayed here twice in a week - at both ends of a trip to Morocco via the ferry. We felt their service, particularly at reception doesn't do justice to the lovely surroundings and ambiance. Would still stay there again and some of the staff were lovely and helpful, but delays at reception a nuisance and not acknowledged or apologised for. Breakfast in a lovely room, with plenty of choice but lapses with orders and a bit slow to fill up where things ran out. Pity that smoking is allowed both at breakfast and in the wine bar - we chose not to eat there as a result. Minor issues with rooms - need more attention to lamps working etc.

Reviewed April 7, 2013

Even this place seemed to be a five star hotel rooms were not up to the Western countries standards. The food in the restaurant was excellent but the room was not what we expected. Good location but...

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 3, 2013

Excellent location. The hotel's public areas are lovely with Morrocan decor. Reception was a bit frantic and our room was not available until the very last minute of check-in time. The room was a decent size, seemed clean, and had a very large terrace overlooking the pool and coast. Unfortunately we had a mouse-sized cockroach visitor in our room. He was hanging on our cornice in a lighted room for quite some time until my husband scared him out onto the terrace, so I assume he was poisoned and did not have long for this earth. Considering we were in Morocco and that there were several room service trays with leftover food in the hallway when we arrived, I was not entirely shocked by this incident. The thin walls were a bigger problem for me. You could clearly here everything in the adjacent rooms and hallway, including normal level conversations. We could not sleep until after 1AM when things started to quiet down, but were woken up in the wee hours with sounds of amorous behavior in the next room. For that reason, I would not select this hotel again. However, the full service spa was large and inexpensive.

3  Thank ChartChecker