“a scam”

Ranked #7 of 44 Hotels in Tangier
Vienna, Austria
“a scam”
Reviewed April 8, 2013

while beautiful and with the bets location possible in Tangier, the hotel staff made for an unpleasant experience...

as said teh hotel is nice, the rooms OK. Although one might question the price premium the Minza asks in comparison with other hotels which haven't been brushed up as of late, but still offer good and clean quality, but for a third of the price

We travelled in a big group of friends and two incidents spoiled the trip. First there were some problems paying the dinner bill as all of a sudden exactly 1000 dirham went missing (100 euros) and nobody was responsible (we had counted more than once...) after some discussion we went the hotel manager who then dropped the topic rather quickly as we mentioned that we already had a bad impression as poeple were 'upgraded' and then charged a premium for the 'upgrade'

All in all, a nice, yet expensive place with questionable morale

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
8 Thank Paul F

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
  • Arabic first
Wirral
Reviewed April 7, 2013

We stayed here twice in a week - at both ends of a trip to Morocco via the ferry. We felt their service, particularly at reception doesn't do justice to the lovely surroundings and ambiance. Would still stay there again and some of the staff were lovely and helpful, but delays at reception a nuisance and not acknowledged or apologised for. Breakfast in a lovely room, with plenty of choice but lapses with orders and a bit slow to fill up where things ran out. Pity that smoking is allowed both at breakfast and in the wine bar - we chose not to eat there as a result. Minor issues with rooms - need more attention to lamps working etc.

Buffalo, New York
Reviewed April 7, 2013

Even this place seemed to be a five star hotel rooms were not up to the Western countries standards. The food in the restaurant was excellent but the room was not what we expected. Good location but...

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
New York, NY
Reviewed April 3, 2013

Excellent location. The hotel's public areas are lovely with Morrocan decor. Reception was a bit frantic and our room was not available until the very last minute of check-in time. The room was a decent size, seemed clean, and had a very large terrace overlooking the pool and coast. Unfortunately we had a mouse-sized cockroach visitor in our room. He was hanging on our cornice in a lighted room for quite some time until my husband scared him out onto the terrace, so I assume he was poisoned and did not have long for this earth. Considering we were in Morocco and that there were several room service trays with leftover food in the hallway when we arrived, I was not entirely shocked by this incident. The thin walls were a bigger problem for me. You could clearly here everything in the adjacent rooms and hallway, including normal level conversations. We could not sleep until after 1AM when things started to quiet down, but were woken up in the wee hours with sounds of amorous behavior in the next room. For that reason, I would not select this hotel again. However, the full service spa was large and inexpensive.

3 Thank ChartChecker

Travelers are raving about these Tangier hotels

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 30, 2013

Nice enough hotel, big and feels far more comfortable than the rest of the city. But when we arrived, the guy at reception first said to not worry about card details, I can pay later, and refused to take my card even when I insisted. My girlfriend and I then went up to our room, which was beautiful with a terrace view of the pool and beyond it the ocean.

The guy from reception then called to say they had upgraded our room for free, but that I would have to pay 80 dirham more per night because I "brought my wife" -- though I had booked the room originally for two people. I negotiated it down to 40. Later also had some weird dealings with room service, where we'd order one thing, the guy on the phone would keep insisting on something else, I would insist on what I wanted, he would say fine, you can have what you want, but then the thing he was insisting about would be delivered.

Worst thing, though, was the noise. After we arrived a loud noise from behind the wall began, which sounded exactly like two people having extremely violent sex on a large, rusty bed. Thinking "good on them", we ignored it, but then it started again 3 minutes later. And then 3 minutes after that. And then after that. It clearly wasn't sex because no human noises were made, but the sound never stopped our whole trip.

As I'm writing the review the noise just started again. I called reception twice about it and both times the guy on the phone said "oh yes, we'll take care of it", and it never stopped.

Lovely hotel in a strangely unhospitable city. Assuming you don't mind listening to mechanical sex constantly... over and over... without stop... every minute you're there...

Room Tip: Bring earplugs. Make sure you don't get room 247.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Charlie B
New York City, New York
Reviewed March 29, 2013

My husband and I traveled from NYC to Tangier last week for 4 nights. We were very happy with our stay at El Minzah; stepping through the doors put us at ease in a city where we kept our guard up outside the confines of the hotel. The breakfast gratis was very enjoyable, and we spent a portion of all evenings having wine and listening to the Egyptian singer at the bar. We dined once at the Moroccan restaurant, which was good but not outstanding, as well as one of our pricier meals in Morocco. Both recommendations we inquired about----a guide for the medina and a local restaurant---exceeded our expectations. Would definitely recommend for travelers looking to have some of the comforts of "home" while exploring the exotic city of Tangier. My only downside would be the price---though it is certainly 5 star, at 250$ a night, it is one of the pricier options in Tangier.

Malvern, Pennsylvania
Reviewed March 23, 2013

El Minzah is perfectly located between the Medina (old city) and the new city just as it is located in time between then and now. Don’t expect a slick modern hotel. If you long to truly experience historic Tangier with some modern amenities and quality service this is the place. Have an excellent breakfast served on your private balcony overlooking the Mediterranean with a view of Gibraltar. Spend a day at the pool and have an exceptional lunch surrounded by flowers and song birds. It’s a short walk to the Socco Grande if you want to explore the Medina. I would pass on the Moroccan restaurant and have dinner on the main balcony with its view of the Straits and the ships passing through. Looking for a special souvenir? Check out Bazzar Tindouf right across the street and a bit up the hill on the right. It’s a bit high end but the owner is honest and it’s where the expats shop for art and antiques. I lived in Morocco many, many years ago and my recent stay at the Minzah took me back to Tangier just as it was then.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple