“very nice historical hotel”
Review of El Minzah Hotel

El Minzah Hotel
Ranked #8 of 44 Hotels in Tangier
Reviewed September 5, 2011

if you want to be in a quite hotel and taste the real morocon atmosphere, you will have to be in this hotel
old but kept as a chique and old lady
perfect.

• Stayed: July 2011

Reviewed August 20, 2011

My partner and I stayed here in August 2011 for one night. Location wise, the hotel is situated pretty central, and a cab trip from the main ferry port shouldn't cost you more than 5 Euros. They do take either Euros or Moroccan.

On our arrival into our room, we were sadly disappointed. We had booked a room with a balcony with city view and received neither of these. Our safe would not work and after requesting help from the staff several times, they eventually came to help. The instructions are not clear on the safe on how to lock or open it.

Although the room is clean, the bed and furniture is quite dated and I would say it is in the condition of a 3 star hotel, with 5 star hotel prices.

We do recommend trying their restaurant as we enjoyed a fantastic dinner there with music and dancing. Though beware, it is pricey.

We caught an early ferry back to Spain, using the hotel's taxi service, we were overcharged quite considerably to what we had paid coming to the hotel.

Overall location wise the hotel is ideal but we would say it is a good basic 3 star hotel.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Jacinta B
Reviewed August 12, 2011

We stayed 1 night out of 2 initially planned (we shortened the stay). We were in Tangiers and we visited the Hotel. My husband decided to stay there because of the view and the history of the Hotel. We negotiated a rate and we discovered that another one was applied. Although I explained that 2 people from the Reservation dpt and the Reception gave it to us. The other receptionnist and so called their Manager was so arrogant and didn't want to know anything! Besides that, they make you look idiot and have a sneaky cheap smile. Since I'm myself a product of Hospitality industry, I'll be giving this so called 5 star Hotel as an example of the worst case of handling a guest complaint! I've never seen such a bad staff and such a bad ambiance. And the best of all, they didn't want to put me through higher Manager and it took them 15 min to think that it's time to call those who gave us the rate after 15 min of disrespect.

We went twice to the Bar in the pool side and asked for a soft drink, in these occasions, I had to go to the waiters and ask them to take the order..what a service! There was only 2 more tables, no excuse that the place was full because it wasn't!

I have no idea how that Hotel is a 5 stars, probably good governement connections!
Our stay at the Ibis (3star) was waaaay better! people were spot on, smiling and very efficient! a good value for the price paid!

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
4  Thank N K
Reviewed July 27, 2011

We were there on a 10 day tour of Morocco. I have been previously in this hotel, where all major actors and celebrities have stayed. Like Humphry Bogard, Rock Hudson, Liza Minellii, Rex Harrisson, Clark Gable, and other old and new celebrities. Very classy and I beleive it is the only hotel I know where all the staff wears differents uniform " a l'ancienne". A typical hotel not to be missed if your are in Tangiers.

Room Tip: 316 view on the harbour! the best and with balcony
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 13, 2011

I was part of a tour group to Morocco and we stayed at this hotel for a couple of nights. It is on a very busy street so you want to make sure your room faces either the sea or has a garden view and pool area. The standard rooms are a bit on the small side for twin sharing and there are no facecloths..it is not a cultural thing because all the other hotels had facecloths. The one big issue was no comp. water in the rooms. This should be a given in any hotel now. Having a balcony is nice where you can sit and listen to the birds. You stay here for the history of the hotel, the ambiance of a past time. It is a bit worn now and needs uplifting. The tv is a flat screen and BBC and CNN are English. No tea making facilites but just call and they pop up with a tray or will bring you a pitcher of coffee, hot milk and hot water so that is nice. The breakfast buffet is good, selection of meats, cheese, breads, cooked omeletes and eggs. There is a patio that you can eat outside and also another patio in the cener of the hotel. Internet was 80 MAD for 1 hour, very expensive. Out the front door and to the left you will find all sorts of shops.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank ICanTravelPanama
Reviewed July 10, 2011

I would say that staying for one night in this hotel is such a black and white experience. It's on a strategic location with shops and medina within walking distance and the hotel room is nicely decorated even though it's a bit too dark for my like, but the room amenities are really poor for such a so called luxury hotel. Beautiful restaurants but the food tastes bland for such a pricey place. A friendly concierge but not helpful. I must have left the hotel early morning to catch a train to Cassablanca and I was asking whether I could get a taxi and early breakfast and what he was concerning about was that I paid right now for the room just in case no staff at the reception at 6am, and no, no early breakfast even though I said I would pay extra (the hotel rate I paid was including breakfast buffet which starts only at 6.30am which I found it's ridiculous, can't they serve 30 minutes earlier?). It's such a pity because I still think that the hotel is beautiful but all the time I spent there I was feeling that they only want to see euros coming out of my wallet.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled solo
4  Thank IJustLive
Reviewed June 23, 2011

I was at El Minzah for a business meeting. The hotel decor is very nice- definitely reminiscent of a bygone era. It would have been great when the likes of Rock Hudson, Winston Churchill and Rex Harrison visited it- their photos are all on the walls of the hotel alongside hotel staff. It is somewhat faded now and certainly is not great for business meetings. We were supposed to get a room with open wifi access for all, but the only way we could do that was log on with each using a card system, and that was not at all reliable. The internet was slow and dropped out a lot. The breakfast was average, and overall the service in the hotel was ok. The staff were definitely friendly enough but were very slow to deliver drinks and get things done. Mind you that might be Morocco in general as I didn't get much better service in restaurants either. The room was fine- the bed was comfortable and I had a view over the pool through to the sea. I had a pleasant time at the hotel and am glad I stayed there.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business