“5 Star Prices, 3 Star Hotel, Very Disappointing Stay”

Movenpick Hotel & Casino Malabata Tanger
Ranked #11 of 43 Hotels in Tangier
United Kingdom
“5 Star Prices, 3 Star Hotel, Very Disappointing Stay”
Reviewed April 22, 2013

The Hotel is not worth the 5 star rating or the resulting 5 star prices. The hotel is located a short walk out of town so some other dining options are available if you do not want to pay circa 30 Euros for a soup, salad and small water. The staff are plentiful in number but did not seem keen or bothered to assist with an internet issue, instead just stood around laughing and playing on I Phones like teenagers. The rooms are large but very basic for the price paid and wicker furniture and 1970s decor in the rooms give the appearance of very dated hotel. The Pool is however nice and is a good place to chill out or get over the shock of the ridiculous prices in this hotel.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Joon S, General Manager at Movenpick Hotel & Casino Malabata Tanger, responded to this review, May 1, 2013
Dear WM-Travel,
First of all I would like to thank you for your comment.
It is vey disappointing to see that your stay has not been a successful one and did not meet your expectation.
I do not want to comment too much about the whys and hows, but hope you do accept my apologies.
Please be ensured that will work hard to overcome the problems you have encountered and they have been addressed immediately to the concerning departments.
Please contact me (joon.stueber@moevenpick.com), should you plan to stay in Tangier in near future. It would be my personal pleasure to show you that we do live up to the world famous Moroccan Hospitality.

Kind Regards,

Joon K. Stueber

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
  • Arabic first
  • Turkish first
Mumbai (Bombay), India
Reviewed October 23, 2012

It was with high hopes that I checked-in to the Movenpick along with colleagues on a two night stay while on business in Tanger. My sense of anticipation was heightened by the fact that this is a large 5* property of the Movenpick chain and the fact that this would be my stay with Movenpick having heard only positive things about them thus far. Unfortunately me and my colleagues were thoroughly disappointed to the extent that within 90 minutes of check-in we each elected to check-out after the first day of our stay in Tanger and move hotels. Imagine our surprise when the reception did not even bother to ask if there was a reason for our hasty exit when we informed them not long after check-in.

The property is definitely large and looks grand. If you are looking for a traditional Moroccan feel this is not your best bet but it looks big as a property with a casino might. The lobby does have a little Moroccan touch.

The rooms are definitely spacious. Mine was even overlooking the pool and beach so the view was definitely great. However lighting in the room is dim and there were flies in my room (my colleague had mosquitoes in her's). The flooring is stone and not carpeted so gives you a cold feeling as you walk around the room. My toilet would not flush at first use. As I wanted to use the gym I stopped by the reception and asked them to send a technician to fix this while I planned to work out. Oh, and I also requested the reception in person to have Room Service send up some large bottles of drinking water to my room so I could have it waiting for me upon return from the gym. (There was a mini bar in my room but only had a small bottle of water stocked in it). Simple matter of personal request made at the reception and should have been taken care of.

The gym itself is medium sized and was quite busy. I would say that the equipment was rather dated and the workout area isn't very spacious. Still, a workout is a workout, a few calories burnt; job done.

Imagine my disappointment when I returned to the room to find the toilet still out of order and no drinking water delivered in the room. Called for Maintenance and Room Service. Both did arrive soon after. The technician who was very polite fixed the toilet in about 10 minutes. However I was dejected that no sooner had he left and I tried to use the toilet that it did not work!

At this point my colleagues had independently proposed to change the hotel on their own accord so we let the hotel know we would be leaving early next morning. I did ask the reception to change my room. They gave me the room next door to my original room. Fortunately this one had a working toilet (relief). Yet there was a fly buzzing around here too. Another small disappointment: Housekeeping had done less than a perfect job as there were no bath slippers in this room (which were available in the previous one). Ignoring this I went to sleep at night.

Early morning I try to open to the bathroom door which I had pulled shut before turning in to bed. It doesn't budge. It is stuck! So here I was calling for Maintenance again in less than 8 hours for a different problem with a second room. The technician arrived quickly and fixed this but not without a screwdriver and a pair of pliers.

Buffet Breakfast was included in room rate so before check-out I stopped by the restaurant for early morning fuel. Still early as I was probably only the third or fourth guest. Even then I noticed that the breakfast spread was thin. The choice was rather on the lean side. As an example the egg station had limited condiments for an omelet. Not what I would have expected for a 5* hotel with a casino. There were flies on the table and on the breads. Needless to say I wasn't eating much.

All in all a short but a stay best forgotten! I was happy to check out and move hotels.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
4 Thank L00K-See

Travelers are raving about these Tangier hotels

Paris, France
Reviewed October 18, 2012

Nice hotel, clean, smart, good design, good breakfast, large room space. I arrive late and the staff was very nice and happy to respond to all my wishes. I have a very early flight in the morning and the service room was excellent.

Room Tip: Nice room, I cannot complain
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Manchester
Reviewed September 4, 2012

I have to congratulate the Movenpick restaurant for a fantastic International meal that myself and my family had at this hotel. The fillet steak was the finest that I have ever experienced in Morocco. A lovely vegetarian dish was provided for my daughter, and my grandson had the evening buffet. The desserts were a delight to the pallet. I must praise the Head waiter who was exceptionally attentive, as were the remaining waiters and waitress's. All together an exceptional meal which we all fully enjoyed.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 3, 2012

Spent 4 days at this hotel in August 2012. Rooms were OK, but if i we're to rate the rooms they would definitely be 2-3 star..no more! We ate at the hotel twice and the food was not good at all..and expensive for what they were serving.
Service was OK(when you managed to speak to a member of staff who understood English) but I expected more from a "5 star hotel".
Pool was average, towels were old and ripped, sunbeds were dirty. Oh and don't even venture to the beach behind the hotel, filthy.
Overall if you are looking at where to stay in Tanger do not stay at the this hotel, I'm sure there are better hotels that are more central and more authentic than the Movenpick.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Kikistar_12
Reviewed August 18, 2012

Room deco is very bad. Nothing is free, you have to pay for wifi, stuff in the mini bar are very expensive 10x market prixe. Small tobleron costs 60 MAD.
Hotel employees are ok. Nice view on the swiming pool and the beach from the room. Big swimming pool.

• Stayed August 2012
1 Thank Couplefromcasa
US
Reviewed July 17, 2012

The hotel staff were completely incompetent for a 5 star hotel.
1) The concierge did not know what to recommend when we (5 females) asked what to do and what attractions were avaiable in the area. Then, one of the front office personnel told us to try a restaurant and said it will be at most 15 minutes walking. Luckily, we asked a local and then discovered it was more than 2 miles away and there is no way we could have walked to the restaurant!
2) The poolside restaurant took over 50 minutes to serve our ice cream order!
3) The housekeeping lady who came with an extra bed for our room, make the bed so unbelieveably shoddy and left in a hurry. It was just unacceptable how she just shoved some sheets on the bed and just left!
4) The electricity went out twice within the first few hours at the hotel. It seemed they did not have a generator even. When asked about the situation, there was no apology even, just a statement saying "we have a problem"!!!
5) The beach next to the hotel is extremely dirty with plastic and other garbage. If you are looking for a nice beach, this would not be the location.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends