“Weekend Tour with Aziz Begdouri was FANTASTIC!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Tangier Tours - Day Tours

Tangier Tours - Day Tours
Ranked #6 of 39 Tours in Tangier
More attraction details
Owner description: Dear Valued Client! I am Abdel-hamid Idrissi, and I work as a private guide in Morocco. The kingdom of Morocco is my motherland, and that's why it is such a pleasure for me to share my culture and history with the Visitors, help them feel the special atmosphere of Morocco and its unique flavor. I have been living in Tangier for more than 25 years now, and that's why this city is my specialty now. Enjoy the personal attention of a family owned and operated Tangier Private Tour Services! There are so many guides online that can sell you tours. I am among the most popular of tour guides experts in Morocco. I open the doors for you to experience and enjoy in comfort the awesome and often mysterious places of Morocco. All or parts of your experiences can be your treasured memories. I accommodate couples to small groups and strive to guide and provide for your every dream or whim while you have a carefree and safe adventure in Wonderful Kingdom called Morocco. I organize different private tours in Tangier. I used to be the President of the tour Guides Association in Morocco for three years. Besides that I am a member of A.A.G.T.T. At first I offered my service mainly to my friends and the members of the family, but soon I progressed significantly and now I am a high level tour guide for the travelers and tourists from all over the world. I have a special document which certificates my knowledge in the tourism field and right to work as a guide. It is worth noting that I speak four languages. They are English, Arabic, French and Spanish. It would be my pleasure to help any person learn more about the culture and history of my beloved country. I am eager to be the one to show you all the wonders and beauties of Morocco! I would like to share my knowledge and experience with each and every of my clients. You should note that I have a personal approach towards each tourist. It means that we can discuss the itinerary and make some alternations there to accommodate your preferences. Let me take you on the experience of a lifetime, I CREATE EXPERIENCE!
New Castle, IN
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“Weekend Tour with Aziz Begdouri was FANTASTIC!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2012

**Aziz really gave us the VIP treatment. He made us feel very cared for. He was very accommodating and honored every request. He is SO knowledgeable and answered every question we had about the city and the culture. Let's not forget that his English is impeccable. We were a little worried about trying to understand a guide with a thick accent, but Aziz was great!**

My husband and I were very excited when we learned how easy (though a little pricey) it was to visit Morocco from Southern Spain. As Rick Steves fans, we contacted Aziz Begdouri. He was very quick to get back with us. We determined a price and activities via email before we even arrived. Aziz met us at the port, loaded our suitcases into his car and drove us all around the suburbs, to see the Cave of Hercules and then we spent the evening on a tour of the Kasbah. It was awesome to visit the city at night and see it as the locals see it.

We asked for local culture, so he took us off the beaten path to see unique markets and crafters. I love taking photos and he was very patient while I snapped away - even taking me to place he particularly thought I would like to photograph. My husband loves to try local food, so Aziz took us various places to do a "taste of" type tour as we explored the city. He even honored my husband's bizarre request to find a McDonald's before the night was over (He has this strange goal to eat at a McDonald's in every country we visit - but that's another story!). He dropped us off at our hotel and told the staff to take good care of us.

The next day, we joined in on a small group walking tour and saw the old city by day. Aziz picked us up at our hotel and we walked to the city. It was almost a completely different place. It was a cool experience to see the city by night and by day. Aziz took us to see the Berber market and to see rugs being made. He also took us shopping and made sure we were able to find the items we wanted.

For a young couple from a small town in Indiana, we could have easily been intimidated by the bustling city, especially at night, but with Aziz, we felt safe and comfortable. He knew EVERYONE and everyone liked him. I would definitely recommend Aziz to anyone traveling to Tangiers. If you do the private tour, just let him know what your interests are and if there is anything specific you do/don't want to do. He will take good care of you.

Visited June 2012
8 Thank ChristyDW

• Arabic first
Toronto, Canada
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Awesome Tangier day trip with Aziz Begdouri of Aziz Tours :)!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 14, 2012

First things first I would like to start off by saying that Aziz Begdouri was an amazing tour guide!!! He was extremely knowledgeable and gave a very detailed tour of Tangier filled with information and history!!
Recently we did a two week tour in Portugal and decided to take two days to drive to Spain, Gilbraltar and hopefully book a day tour to Tangier. I looked online at some possible day tour options to Tangier and narrowed it down to two private guides and a larger group tour. After a bit more research Aziz tours ended up being the first (and only) tour I ended up contacting. My decision was thanks to seeing Aziz tours so highly rated by fellow travelers on Trip Advisor and also because I learned through Trip Advisor that Aziz was recommended by a "Rick Steves" in his 2012 Spain travel guide which sounded reputable.
I contacted Aziz via e-mail on Monday June 4th, 2012 which was very short notice considering we were hoping to book a tour with him on Wednesday June 6th, 2012. He e-mailed us back a few hours later saying yes he could accommodate us on either the 5th or the 6th and outlined our options. The options were a shorter walking tour or a longer "Grand Tour". The Grand Tour would cost 35 Euros each. Aziz also offered to book our ferry tickets for us as well if we so desired. We opted for Aziz's Grand Tour catching the 9am ferry in Tarifa with him booking the tickets for us. Our quote was 98 Euros each for the day tour & return ferry from Tarifa.
When we arrived in Tangier, we disembarked the boat and followed everyone else up the ramp and along the overpass corridor. Halfway along there was a check point. There we were turned around by the police as we had not gotten our entry stamp on board. This was a very unnerving experience to see all the tourists walking away and being stuck behind. We ran back to the boat. Fortunately another couple also missed their stamp so we were not alone. I saw a well dress man (dress pants, dress shirt and dress shoes) on the overhead bridge waving and I assumed it was Aziz so I signaled we needed a stamp. He called my cell; it was him and said don't worry I will wait for you. About 20 minutes later the disgruntled customs agent came back; he looked VERY unimpressed. (The guards told the other couple we were very lucky. For some reason he came back otherwise we would have had to wait til 4pm for him to return.) He stamped our passports and we were off. (In hindsight seeing both how respected and how much pull Aziz seemed to have, we can't help but wonder if he had some influence on the return of the customs agent, although this is pure speculation.)
Aziz greeted us and we met up with another couple from California. For the first hour or so of the tour we felt bad for detaining the other couple so we stayed pretty quiet and let them do all the talking and question asking to Aziz. Aziz provided us with a lot of information on Tangiers history, Moroccan culture and Berber traditions; he was actually extremely informative and we learned a lot. We both love history and after taking many tours in Portugal and Gilbraltar it was interesting to hear the history from the other side of the strait.
The first part of the tour was in an air-conditioned minibus. Our first stop was at a Mosque where we learned about Muslim customs and the Muslim religion and viewed the detailed tile work on the wall of the Mosque. Next we drove by the cafe where Julia Styles sat in the Bourne Ultimatum which was awesome since the night we arrived back in Canada they were playing it on TV! We then traveled through the most prestigious and richest parts of the outskirts of Tangier viewing the Kings Palace as well as many other homes belonging to royalty and celebrities, when they are away from home in Morocco.
The tour then took us on a drive up along the coast, allowing us to take in a spectacular view. We stopped at Cape Spartel where there was a lighthouse and the dividing point of where the Atlantic Ocean and the Mediterranean Sea join. Very cool and stunning view!
Next we stopped for an optional camel ride that was on top of a cliff overlooking the ocean. It cost us 2 Euros each and lasted about 5-10 minutes. We were able to take as many pictures as we wanted. After the camels, we went to Hercules Grotto which Aziz took us into. The entrance fee was .50 Euro each and although there were many souvenir spots along the cave to make purchases at no point was it suggested we do so. Our time inside the cave was very informative, learning about both the natural and man made parts of the cave and also more about the Berber traditions. There was a man inside the cave taking photos for 2 Euros in front of the Africa shaped opening and developed it for you right there with a good quality camera. We opted to do this as we only had a disposable camera, our phone camera and Aziz's camera. (None quite captured the image the same as the professional camera.) It had been suggested to us by friends who had not yet visited Morocco not to bring our camera over to Tangier. I would advise anyone who visits Tangier on a tour to bring a camera with you because at no point did I feel unsafe to have one and there were so many fabulous Kodak moments. This actually highlights another awesome point about touring with Aziz . When Aziz realized we didn't have a camera with us he offered us the use of his digital camera for the day and said he'd email them to us later. (I do still have to follow up on getting them however which I will do after I finish this :)!)
Next stop on the tour was lunch. Aziz gave us the choice of going somewhere more touristy or somewhere more authentic and local. We opted for authentic and local. The meal was amazing and cost a total of 25 Euros for all five of us! That's 5 Euros each! We each had a main course and a drink and then we all shared two appetizers and two baskets of bread, oh and three of us also had tea!
After lunch we began our walking tour taking us through the Old City, the markets and many other highlight spots. During our walking tour we weren't harassed at all - not while passing through the shopping areas nor passing through areas where people were making items right there. And there wasn't anywhere we went that Aziz dissuaded us from purchasing directly from anyone. The other couple on the tour bought two blankets and I ended up buying a scarf. I hadn't planned on purchasing anything but seeing the workers in action hands on is so different then seeing it on a shelf somewhere. My fiance actually saw a pair of shoes in a downstairs area that Aziz had not planned on bringing us to. We asked Aziz if we could go there he said sure he would take us there if we wanted, no problem. Aziz explained he hadn't planned on taking us there because it was more a flea market type place but if we wanted to go he would take us. My fiance bought some shoes and again Aziz did not dissuade him. He actually helped with the negotiations when he heard the vendor try to switch the price.
Also on the walking tour we visited the area where the Bourne Ultimatum foot chase scene took place. We visited a local bread making "house" that caters to the community where they gave us samples of sunflower seeds and roasted peanuts right from the oven (it was a tucked away location and something I doubt you'd experience on the larger tours). We also visited various hands-on small tile shops and a cafe where the Rolling Stones had chilled while in Tangier. The cafe had pictures on the wall of Mick Jagger enjoying extracurricular activities in that cafe lol.
At many points during the walking tour we felt very fortunate to be with Aziz rather then a larger tour but there's one point in particular I'd like to highlight. As we passed a house that was under renovations, the contractor saw Aziz and knew him so we were invited inside to see the house. What an amazing and unique opportunity!!!
Aziz seemed to be a very well known and respected man in the community acknowledged by many many people as he passed through the community. Also walking with Aziz we weren't hassled with people trying to sell us stuff everywhere. If we weren't interested Aziz would say something to them and they would stop trying to sell to us.
At the end of the tour Aziz "allowed" some vendors for a brief time to show us what our experience may have been like without a guided tour lol or maybe that is just what the people were like in that particular area. They were relentless trying to sell to us, worst then anywhere I have ever been and I have been to the Caribbean, Mexico (Tijuana, Puerto Vallarta, Cancun & Juarez), Egypt, Kenya, Australia etc...I would not have enjoyed the day at all if that was what we had to deal with all day!
Aziz then took us back to the ferry where he personally walked us right to the boat. He was able to pass by customs etc and wait with us until we boarded. Talk about door to door service!
I'm sure there are other parts of our day but I think I covered most of it :)!

Now of course no tour is 100% perfect so for the skeptics out there who want the good and bad here are my, what I would call "downsides". Coming from North America I would compare final communications on booking, as well as some points of the tour to what has been coined to us as Island Time. Aziz responded to both the other couple and us almost immediately after our initial contact with pricing and details. We knew exactly what journey we were embarking on! (Aziz by the way speaks I believe four languages, maybe five!) For final confirmation we both received our ferry reservation numbers late the night before the trip. Perhaps this is the way the ferry operates, not sure but knowing this might cause less concern for the "planner type" people out there. No worries though Aziz provides his phone number so you can contact him. At some points of the tour we seemed to wait around a bit which again was not bad cause each time we found another question to ask and ultimately ended up learning much more. Aziz also caters each tour to your individual interests. I didn't mention until after lunch that the snake charmers would interest me and they apparently are only out in the morning so we missed out on that.
Weighed against the amazing rest of the tour these "downsides" aren't even worth taking a notch off our rating. I would highly recommend Aziz Begdouri to anyone thinking of visiting Tangiers (and actually already have to a friend traveling there in August) Aziz definitely made our trip to Tangiers a truly memorable day!

Visited June 2012
5 Thank Jenabirdie
Dallas, Texas
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Fantastic Guide”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 12, 2012

Aziz Begdouri is probably the best guide we have ever used. His knowledge, personality and genuine caring about us and his country made our visit unforgettable. We learned so much, and our experience made us so glad we made the effort to visit Tangier. Everywhere we went, he made sure we were greeted with respect and treated appropriately. There were 8 of us, and the whole visit was handled smoothly. He was there when we left the ferry on arrival and dropped us off at the end of the trip, having made sure everything went smoothly. What a wonderful experience! He is a terrific person. We heartily recommend him.

Visited May 2012
6 Thank Myrna V
Albany, New York
61 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 94 helpful votes
“Look out......the sellers are aggressive fellows !”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 30, 2012

We took the day tour from our hotel in Spain. The "costa del sol "
tour company is very good. The price was right and they provided everything including a fun lunch with music and belly dancers. The lunch was held in a big tent and included traditional Morrocan food. it did not cause any intestinal distress as many have reported. The caves are interesting and the bus tour is beautiful. The tour "buying opportunity" to the carpet store was ok. Many people in our group bought carpets. The spice store was also ok. I would have rathered spent more time in the market place. Now for the "old market" we were rushed through the market by our guide. Not that he was not good at what he does. He is very good but always seemed rushed to get to the next spot on the tour. The only draw back are the street sellers. You can't even look at what they are selling as there are so many crowding you it's not possible to look at anything you might want.
Don't get me wrong...if your staying near the Costa del Sol it is worth the time and money to visit Tangiers for the day. You will leave with a good story or two about the buyers and sellers and the happy fellers....
Liam & Colleen
New York

1 Thank fglawihio
Philadelphia, Pa.
46 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 117 helpful votes
“Tour of Tangier--Awesome!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2012

My husband and I recently visited our son who is currently living in Spain, and while there we planned a day trip to Morocco. We booked our trip with Jamal Jamali, who was recommended thru Trip Advisor, and so the adventure begins. We made our initial contact with Mr. Jamali via e-mail (jamaltour1@gmail.com), and he was very prompt in returning our many questions about the tour. We were advised that he or an associate would meet us at the ferry terminal in Tangier. When we arrived we were greeted by Mr. Ahmed, an associate of Mr. Jamali. He held up a large sign with our names on it---hard to miss! The tour begins! The adventure began with a 2 1/2 hour tour of the area via a van--a very clean and comfy vehicle. We visited a beautiful beach where the Atlantic ocean and Mediterranian sea meet, with a spectacular lighthouse at that site, estates of Saudi Arabian princes, caves on the mouintainsides where gypsies once lived and even stopped for a camel ride! During the tour, Mr. Ahmed gave us a great history of Morocco. Mr. Ahmed has lived in Morocco his entire life. He is seventy years old and in great shape and speaks seven different languages. It was a pleasure to be in his company! We ended the van ride in old Tangier where we had lunch. Mr. Ahmed took us to a wonderful restaurant that he and his family frequent and the food was out of this world. I will review this restaurant later. Our walking part of the tour began at the Medina, the oldest part of the city. In this area is where you shop, and shop we did! You can buy most anything here and getting things home to the USA or anywhere is not a problem as most stores provide shipping thru DHL. Again, Mr. Ahmed walked with us thru the old city and gave us a great history along the way. He helped us haggle with the vendors (and you must haggle), and we had a great time wandering thru the tiny streets of this wonderful part of the world. Our completed tour lasted about 7 hours. We walked away with a better knowledge of this part of the world and feeling like we left an old friend in Mr. Ahmed when we parted at the ferry. The total cost of the tour of Tangier with Mr. Jamali was 125 euros. Lunch was on us, and we tipped the driver of the van as well as Mr. Ahmed. I was worth every euro.

Visited April 2012