“I like this place.” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Dar JAND

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Tangier
Dar JAND
Ranked #7 of 48 Tangier B&B and Inns
London UK
“I like this place.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 13, 2011

Right i don't like staying in hotels, i do a lot of this as part of my job, working in the international hospitality industry. I associate them with missing home, lonely, joyless places. My wife recently invited me to Tangier to stay with her for the weekend. She was accommodated in a '5 star hotel' whilst she completed a work project, I thought great. TV with crap cable channels, you only need to watch the news once in a day. Expensive room service (too posh to have a kettle in your room). A mini bar with prices more realistic of year 3011 and so on. Located in middle of nowhere surrounded by European golfers and their asscociated dubious fashion. Fortunately however my wife had stumbled upon, Dar Jand, earlier in the week and knowing my love of hotels, booked a room. Now you will only stumble upon Dar Jand unless you do some research, like reading entries on this site. Located in the middle of the old town Medina with its maze of tiny streets. The rooms are beautifully decorated with local character and the welcome from the hosts Janet and Andrew very personal. I don't think there was a TV in the room, you don't need one. Sit on the rooftop and watch the comings and goings of fishing boats into the port, or other roof life around the Medina. Or just watch the stars at night with a local reasonably priced beer from your hosts. Or just hit the streets and sit in the tea cafes and watch the locals with their interesting local fashions, you are instantly in Morocco here. Or just take a little guided trip around the markets with Janet or Andrew and meet, buy from, and bargain with their friends. Or just sit in bed and write postcards in between daydreams. A place to treasure we will back when we need to escape and be absorbed into a different land, with the comfort of knowledgeable English speaking locals to look after us.
Got a bit carried away there, beds are great, super clean, breakfast mega. Stay here if you have any imagination even just a little bit, Don't stay here if you have, no imagination, thinks a 30g bag of chips/crisps is worth 3 euros, like watching CNN news in 20 min loops, likes discussing in detail their 5th hole putt with other pringle wearing people.
Matt & Helene

Room Tip: Stay at the top if you can.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Matthew P

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Paris, France
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2011

Dar Jand is a fantastic B&B with amazing hosts.
I am writing on behalf of me and my grandmother. We were supposed to take a trip together to Tangier. Unfortunately I had my old passport with me and I couldn't get on the plane. My grandmother went anyway. I immediately contacted Janet and Andrew and asked them to meet my grandmother at the airport. I was really worried if she could manage on her own. Janet and Andrew met her at the airport and took care of her as if she was an old friend of theirs. They showed her around, took her to amazing places, to most wonderful beaches and restaurants. They called me every day to insure that everything is alright and that they are spending an amazing time.
Honestly, I think that Janet and Andrew are angels. They reassured me that I should not worry.
About the B&B, my grandmother had only the best words. She was so happy with her room. It was truely moroccan, beautiful and exotic. So, instead of booking some european hotel, book Dar Jand for a real Morrocan experience.
So, all in all, If you're looking for hosts that take you personally, people that take care of you and a wonderful experience, most defenetly pick Dar Jand!!!
Thank you Janet and Andrew, and I hope that you will visit us soon, so that we can return the favor!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank susanna v
Barcelona, Spain
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2011

Great place to stay in Tangier. Janet and Andrew are fabulous hosts, they make sure every detail of your stay both inside and outside the bed and breakfast are perfect! Thumbs up to the quality of the accommodations, very clean and well decorated. The breakfast is a very good way to start the day and also the rooftop terrace is a place that you'll find yourself spending a lot of time, admiring the medina, the port and the gibraltar strait.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
Bakersfield, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 28, 2011

We wanted to stay in the medina to have the most authentic Moroccan experience (we lived in Tangier in the medina 40 years ago for 6 weeks), so we chose Dar Jand. This place is amazing! Janet (half of the Jand) spent five years restoring and renovating this quirky medina residence and did an amazing job. It goes up and up - four stories I think - with a terrace on top that gives you a view of the rooftops of Tangier and the Mediterranean. The decor is a feast for the eyes and the common rooms are comfy and inviting. There was a little too much light in our bedroom which made sleeping a little difficult, and the pillow was hard like a brick, but that's not enough to keep us away. We'd stay here again in a heartbeat. Andrew (the other half of the Jand) showed us the way to wherever we wanted to go and without him we'd have been lost for sure. He and Janet couldn't have been more accommodating and helpful - they are wonderful, warm people. And Janet bakes wonderful breakfast goodies. I don't think you could do better in terms of being in the heart of the medina with the most helpful, interesting hosts. Andrew and Janet get an A+.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Sreep
Belgium
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 18, 2011

We can only agree with previous reviews. Dar Jand is not only about Tangier ..it is about two New Yorkers changing their life and opening a bed and breakfast in Morocco.
We enjoyed so much the chats with Janet and Andrew and we congratulate them for being such perfect hosts.
Andrew was fantastic in showing us around (giving us so many tips) and we also loved breakfast. And you can not miss the view from the terrace.
We reccomend it for sure!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
Paris, France
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 16, 2011

It's true! Janet and Andrew are warm hosts who do everything possible to make your stay agreeable and user-friendly. Great biscuits etc. for breakfast. January weather precluded rooftop cocktails, but a sunny room and the colorful old port nearby, along with the Medina's myriad shops and lots of great Tangier mint tea in the trademark tall glasses, were all we needed. In better weather we would recommend the Hotel Continental's terrance café but the restaurant is just passable. Wherever you want to go in town, Andrew will walk you there and make doubly/triply sure you know how to get back. People are friendly. We recommend the cafés and shops around Petit Succo nearby and the great Saveur de Poisson restaurant not far outside the Medina (worth the wait at the door). Another nice feature of Dar Jand is that there seem to be an endless succession of very interesting people coming and going, taking a room for a few days on their way elsewhere in Morocco. As befitting Medina lodgings, Dar Jand is very attractively decorated in what looks like authentic traditional Moroccan, from top to bottom, so indoors and out you sometimes feel you have momentarily escaped from the 21st century.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple