New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Le Grand Comptoir
Ranked #31 of 238 Restaurants in Rabat
Cuisines: French, European
Good for: Business meetings, Romantic, Bar scene, Large groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Rabat, Morocco
“good”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2013

Good for a working lunch but it is quite expensive. Some friends did not appreciate the price. I personal appreciate some meals they prepare.

• Visited June 2012
    • 1 of 5 stars
    • 4 of 5 stars

Rutland, United Kingdom
“Normally OK, but not always”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2013

I have had 3 enjoyable experiences at this restaurant. Good food and service normally. see my previous rating. Last night however i was disappointed. I ordered a hot starter of Gambas/Prawns which was delivered cold straight from the refrigerator. I asked for what was described on the menu, hot prawns on a warm salad of Leeks. The dish was removed and replaced with microwaved prawns on top of the same cold salad. i could not give the restaurant a 3rd chance. I left and had another enjoyable meal at Cosmopolitan restaurant.

• Visited May 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars
Rutland, United Kingdom
“A good place for lunch or dinner”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

This French restaurant has a good menu, and always a specials board. The food quality is good, portion sizes are fine. Tasty, well cooked food.

Visited April 2013
1 Thank Ad W
Redding, Connecticut
“Fun brasserie experience!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

We had dinner at Le Grand Comptoir on our first night in Rabat. It was also a Saturday night, so there was live music. Our meal was delicious and by 11pm it became a rocking party atmosphere. Memorable and fun time here!

Visited December 2012
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Great food, wonderful atmosphere, relaxed but attentive service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

After having read some mediocre/negative reviews my husband and I felt a bit nervous coming here, but since we had wanted to try it since we first walked by over a year ago we decided to risk it. We were glad we did. I can’t speak to anyone else’s experiences, but we had excellent food and service. The pace is certainly relaxed, but I would not call it slow, and certainly no more so than many places I’ve eaten in Europe. Great atmosphere and décor. There were definitely some smokers, no more so than many places in Morocco, and where we were sitting it was not really an issue (the main dining area has high ceilings).
We arrived a few minutes before they officially opened, they seated us without issue. As they were setting up we saw someone carrying a chalkboard sign with suggestions, including a cheese and charcuterie platter. Since cheese options are pretty limited where we live (a medium sized town outside Rabat) we thought we would order it for an appetizer, but when we looked at the menu (which was on a different chalkboard) the cheese plate wasn’t listed. We asked the waiter about the first chalkboard and he explained that it was for the upstairs section, which looked like more of a lounge. I guess we seemed disappointed about the cheese so he offered to get a plate of assorted French cheeses for us, which is a minor thing to be sure, but a nice touch and personalized service, and the cheeses were definitely a treat for us.
I ordered beef filet with a parmesan crust. I asked for it to be cooked medium, and many restaurants will over- or undercook meat when you ask for medium, but it was a really perfect medium and was delicious. My husband had the boudin with apples, also very good. When he ordered it our waiter very conscientiously made sure that my husband knew he was ordering pork; when he said that was fine the waiter explained that since we had greeted him in Arabic and had been speaking to him in it he wanted to make sure we knew (in case we observed Muslim dietary laws). For dessert we shared a chocolate pastry dish with ice cream, which was very good although nothing unique.
The only minor negative aspect to our experience was that they made an error in our drink order. My husband hates sending anything back but after agonizing about it for a few minutes decided to mention it to the staff. They immediately made him a new one, no fuss or questions asked, making sure they had the correct order this time. And given that he was ordering a not common alcoholic drink with an English name in a French-speaking Muslim country, we were willing to give them a pass on having misunderstood him.
This was definitely the most expensive meal we’ve eaten in Morocco, but the same meal in a comparable place back in New York could easily have cost twice as much or more.

• Visited December 2012