“Lower Your Expectations”

Golden Tulip Farah Rabat
Ranked #21 of 45 Hotels in Rabat
Reviewed July 10, 2013

Feels like a 2-star property trying to be 4-star. Stayed for 1 night as part of a multi-city tour of Morocco. Very central location, near the harbor and medina. Room was spacious but cleanliness could be improved.

We got the room on the first floor, right at the end of the corridor with the window overlooking the guard post. The noisy traffic could be a disturbance to others but as it was our first night and we were tired from the long journey, it didnt bother us till the next morning!

Room Tip: Request for high floors!
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
5  Thank Achooo_sg
There are newer reviews for Golden Tulip Farah Rabat

Reviewed July 7, 2013

Don't understand why this hotel gets such a bad rap. My wife and I stayed here and thought it was better than average. Sure, it caters to alot of tour groups, but they've done a pretty decent job of upkeep. Our room was clean and we thought the location was great. Enjoyed sitting on the top deck watching the chaos in front of us with the traffic and kids actually hitching rides on the back of the city buses. Extremely dangerous, but unfortunately, quite entertaining. Fortunately, no one got hurt.

The hotel is extremely close to the Medina and convenient to the harbor. The only downside is the smoke in the lobby from the bar area. Unfortunate because it hits you in the face as soon as you walk in the front doors and the first floor area around the check-in desk just wreaks. But, once you get beyond that, the rest is decent. The food was good and the bed was comfy, so we had no complaints. Would definitely recommend. That is not to say that it's one of the best hotels I've stayed in, but it definitely isn't as bad as you'd be led to believe from reading some of the reviews here.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
6  Thank romadaro
Reviewed June 28, 2013

The hotel is well located with a wonderful view of the bridges and roads that links the main town to Marina. Very close to the Medina and the center of Town. The hotel lobby is quite good however there was no much smoke from the bar which made sitting in the lobby very uncomfortable if you are not a smoker. Parking was also a problem and you sometimes have to park outside the hotel premises. The food was okay however of the waiters and house keepers did not understand English. Anyway I enjoyed my stay at the hotel.

Room Tip: The rooms facing the main road
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed June 19, 2013

I stayed at that hotel on 09 JUNE 13 . Had a terrible experience with the door man whom i asked to show me the toilet . That man told me that there is no toilet in the lobby area. To my surprise , i found it. I asked that man to give me some explanation for his lie. He told me that the toilet is only for hotel residents only. i told him that i was one. He laughed and told me to use it. My travellling friend told me that she had the same response from that man few minutes ago just before me. We confronted that man again to ask for explanation for his strange behaviour. He could not give us a logical answer except that it is only for residents....... who are we then at that hotel?
REALLY INSANE !!!! Got really disgusted! i will never set foot in that hotel again.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Paul L
Reviewed June 17, 2013

This is a hotel in a great location and while its rooms were adequate for our needs I question how this hotel could have a 4 star rating. It is sadly in need of a major refurbishment both inside and out. It is a hotel which caters for tour groups and I was saddened to see for breakfast one morning that additional tables and chairs had been placed in a corridor adjacent a breakfast area to cater for the tour group overflow. Is this really the value a hotel should demonstrate to tour coach guests? Great location. Shame about what could be a good hotel once more..

Room Tip: Rooms at the front of the hotel have good views
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 4, 2013

After our stay in Fez, Rabat felt like an oasis. This hotel was centrally located near the water and the medina. The breakfast was quite good in comparison to some of the other hotels we had been in. My one criticism was the amount of smoke in the lobby and everywhere else in the hotel. Morocco seems behind the rest of the world in terms of limiting areas in which people may smoke and it is a real negative for an otherwise enjoyable experience.

Room Tip: Ask for a non smoking room
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed June 2, 2013

The hotel proudly displays a "North Africa Hotel of the Year, 2009" - it must have gone downhill fast. Staff are consistely rude and un-helpful. Checking in took half an hour. Smoke (stale, nasty smoke) kept coming in through the ventilation, despite the non-smoking floor. The staff kept promising solutions but nothing ever happened. Check-out took ages, as the staff kept messing up the charges. My first room hadn't been cleaned; towels were scarce. (They tended to be taken away each day, and I often had to ask for them to be restocked.)

The hotel itself needs a serious overhaul. While unpacking, carpenters came to my room to hammer the bed frame back together. Internet was slow and inconsistent. Ventilation (as above) needs to be cleaned and/or redone. Location is noisy, and the thin walls don't help. I could only find one working electrical outlet in my room. Etc.

On the plus side - it's an easy walk to the Kasbah and the medina, and the rooftop view over the water is nice. But location is the only saving grace.

Room Tip: Stay at another hotel.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business