“Beautiful setting”

6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Beautiful setting”
Reviewed November 25, 2013

As a part of a coach tour, we only had about 30 minutes to wander Chellah on our own. I wish we had more time, because there were so many beautiful little crevices to explore. Much less crowded than Volubilis, it was a perfect time to enjoy some quiet exploration and beautiful views. Honestly, although it is the smaller of the two Roman sites, I would recommend seeing Chellah (if you only have time for one).

Also enjoyed the very bold stray cats & chickens that call the place home!

Visited November 2013

21 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“Wonderful Childhood Memories”
Reviewed November 22, 2013

I grew up in Rabat in the mid-1950's and this was one of our favorite spots to explore. We lived near the Tour Hassan, just a short distance from this historic castle, and I fondly remember my friends and I "storming the walls" while other buddies would rain down stones on the others from on atop the ramparts. We felt like we were living back in the 12th Century.

I will always treasure the 2 years I spent in Rabat as a 12-14 year old boy and would like to return someday soon to re-explore some of our old haunts!

Visited December 2012
San Diego, California
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Great time!”
Reviewed November 13, 2013

The Chellah in Rabat is a must see! I really loved the athmosphere, you can feel the mystery , like everywhere else in Morocco. I just love to travel and to try and experience different cultures. It is not really close to the city centre, burt the taxy's in Rabat are nort expensive at all, so if you made it to Rabat, then You should try rto see as much as you can.I personally Loved Rabat, no wonder why was one of the best destinations for 2013 according to CNN. Go and visit...have fun! O, and I got some really nice Henna tatoos, very pretty once....

1 Thank Mary-Anne111
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“Quiet oasis in Rabat”
Reviewed November 12, 2013

Just outside the 14th [?] century wall around Rabat lies Chellah, the site of an earlier city. Most of that is ruins, with a few house footprints, but a beautiful tiled still-standing mosque minaret - with a photogenic stork's nest on top. I went to the nearby Marjan super market [easy if you have a car, otherwise not] and shopped for picnic food; it's always fun to see what foods other countries have. Then I took it to Chellah and had an open air picnic with friends, overlooking the site and across the river to Sale. There are lots of hopeful cats, but they aren't too intrusive. In a back corner is a small saint's shrine and nearby the pool of sacred eels. There you can buy a hard boiled egg to feed them from the woman who's always there; it's thought to be effective against infertility [and very Freudian]. There are also some hopeful local guides who can tell you more about the history; if that interests you, hire one and agree in advance what you'll pay. He'll probably say 'whatever you want', so choose a sum and discuss it. There's also an admission fee [for non-locals, which seems fair], and quite low.

1 Thank CultureTrips
Ashburn, Virginia
48 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 60 helpful votes
“Not very much impressed”
Reviewed November 11, 2013

This turned out be a place with a bunhc of trees and an old run down buildings surrounded by big walls (like everywhere else in Morocco).

1 Thank Robinshar