Hotel Balima
  • Restaurant
Dar Zouhour(Rabat)
$100
Hotels.com
See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed December 22, 2012

I stayed here back in June 2006, clean hotel, great service, they have a good restaurant and easy to access. As it was 6 years since i was there i hope it still has the same feel as it did back then. Compared to other hotels i have stayed in and around Europe its one of the best and well worth the stay. You are not too far away from the train station which is a good thing and some great restaurants around as well.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed September 16, 2012

Rabat is surprisingly laid back for a capital and a treat for a couple of days. 15 years have passed since my last visit and the Balima remains a favourite. Well placed for the main station and its new tramway system, as well as a walking distance to the principal points of interest, or an 8 -15 dhrs petit taxi to the beach.

Service can be moody at breakfast but if you inject a little humour and a touch of tourist arabic, a change can come about - and on day two my effort was rewarded with a warm msimmen (not provided to the other tables). My generous sized front facing room had a spectacular view and I slept well both nights.

Room Tip: Go for a front facing room and high up - the views over the city are impressive
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed September 5, 2012

I have stayed here twice now and have been satisfied both times. The Grand Old dame of rabat hotels is getting worn and faded, but still has enough going for it.
The Good: LOCATION ! It is literally a 5 min. walk from the train station. We walked everywhere we wanted to go within 20-25 min ( medina, kasbah, mausoleum, harbour, palace). If you want mid 20th centuryFrench colonial charm, it still has it. We always found the staff to be friendly and helpful. Our rooms were clean and the maids would cheerfully get us extra towels etc if we needed them . Free wifi was a bonus. The shaded terrace out front is a great place to have tea and people watch. The price is still reasonable ( approx $60 USD for a double)
The not-so-good: ( maybe) The noise from the nightclub ( especially on weekends) can be a bit overwhelming.

Room Tip: Rooms on higher floors at the front are proably a bit quieter
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Lonelobster
Reviewed May 4, 2012

1997 was our first stay. We stayed several other times since, but April 2012 will be our last at the Balima when we return to Rabat, unless the owners invest heavily to bring the quality and service of this property up to 21st Century international hotel service standard.
The location on Mohaamed V- Ave and 5 minutes walk from the Rabat Ville Rail station, plus easy walk to the Medina and new marina, are the things which made us reluctantly kept staying at the Balima.
Our experience is like a partner who is constantly abused by his/her spouse, but keep going back for more of the same bad treatment. That is fact with the Balima. I should know. I have stayed at many hotels in Morocco and around the world in the last 10 years, plus I used to operate an accommodation rental in Europe. I know what it takes to provide guests with QUALITY SERVICE in the 21st Century. They have told me in their comments and feedback.
If you like a heavy, cigarette polluted smoking environment from the reception and on every floor, then stay at the Balima.
If you like the same dry, crusty bread and crossiants, plus diluted orange squash drink every morning for breakfast- then the Balima is for you.
If you want dirty carpets in your room, poor daily cleaning of your room, beddings that have not been replaced since at least 1997, then the Balima is for you.
If you want noisy people all night outside in the street till about 3am every night, plus the sound of club music from the club next door, especially at weekends, then the Balima is for you.
If you want unfriendly staff (except Hassan- a seasoned professional)- then the Balima is for you. But Hassan works only during the day time hours.
If you are only staying 1 night and you need to get to the train station within 5 minutes by walking, or to see the heart of Rabat in 1 day- then the Balima is for you.

Room Tip: Sorry, We could not possible do a recommendation for this hotel.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
4  Thank Gazzajam
Reviewed April 27, 2012

The only reason I am giving this hotel two stars is because of it's location. It's about two blocks to the train station, and in the center of all the city activity. This could also be a downfall for some, but considering I was traveling alone, it was a plus for me! However, this hotel is DISGUSTING! Oh my gosh.... the bed linens are about 20 years old (and no, I'm not exaggerating), the bed itself is probably older. The lobby and hotel itself are extremely outdated as well. Upon check-in, my room had dirty towels on the floor in the restroom, used soap in the shower, and an old cigarette in the ashtray. This hotel will overwhelm you with cigarette smoke too (and I'd like to consider myself pretty tolerant of such a common thing while travelling). It seems to be taken over by older business men, who prefer a place to sit and chain smoke. NOT recommeded for females, young families, or basically ANYONE who wants a decently clean place to sleep.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo