“Nice little Zoo, good to spend one day in Rabat on it”

Jardin Zoologique National de Rabat
Ranked #6 of 50 things to do in Rabat
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Zagreb, Croatia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Nice little Zoo, good to spend one day in Rabat on it”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 11, 2012

Zoo is very new, but it has very small amount of animals. It can not be compared to regular western ZOO's. It has a very spacious places for animals, and you have a clear view on them. The restaurants in the ZOO are a bit too expensive for what they are offering. All in all a great place to spend the day. If you have kids they will love it.

Visited September 2012
1 Thank theloosersclub

• Arabic first
  • Korean first
The Hague, The Netherlands
369 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 569 helpful votes
“New Zoo, with potential and one of the best things to do in Rabat”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2012

I have seen a lot of zoo's, in On my annual visit to morocco, to rabat I visited the new zoo. Years ago I had spent a lot of time in the old zoo with my then fiance (now wife) so I was curious to see if they had made the right choices with all the money that they received from a.o. Investment.

I have seen a lot of zoo's, in Spain, Belgium, England, The Netherlands, United States, Nepal, Malaysia, Madagascar and Morocco, this new zoo in Rabat is worth a visit. It can't compete with the top zoo's, such as Blijdorp (Rotterdam) or Burgerszoo (Arnhem), but it is modern and has a great potential.

The positive points are: it is new, it is green (but the plants and trees still need to grow further), it is spacious.. Most animals have a lot of space, it is clean, there are hardly any fences and most animals look in good health!.

The negative points are: there are not a lot of animals and the zoo is not finished yet (for instance the chimpansees will only arrive in two weeks time).

Overall we had a nice time, we were a little bit disappointed with the variety and the numbers of animals, but still the zoo is surely worth a visit!. If you come on Monday or after 15.00 hours the price is only 40 Dirhams which is a very good price!.

Visited June 2012
3 Thank Ronald_jelle
Colorado Springs, Colorado
28 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 32 helpful votes
“New Zoo - Great Potential”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2012

We've been to the old zoo and now the new one. This one was designed with the newer attitude about animal enclosures in mind. In the US this would be considered a decent zoo, but here in Morocco it's amazing. It's just like the bike lanes they are painting on the streets, someone has forward-looking ideas even if most of the citizens have no idea what a bike lane is for.
The zoo has signs, maps, open landscaped enclosures, food, and a very nice layout. We got sick on the food, but hey, it comes with the territory.
The local Moroccans still want to bang on the glass and throw things at the animals to "make them do something", so even if it appears that it's the Moroccans who should be in the cage, the animals appear much happier as they can stay farther away from asinine people who have no idea how to treat other animals.
There are of course, wonderful Moroccans and at least a few of them have the right idea when they designed this zoo. The cleanest most modern bathrooms in Morocco.
It costs more than the average attraction, but if it supports this type of endevour I am glad to pay it.

Visited May 2012
1 Thank cal68
Rabat, Morocco
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 61 helpful votes
“Better Than Expected”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 25, 2012

My family and I just visited the new Rabat Zoo today. We are a family of 3 kids 5 yrs old and under and we were impressed by this modern zoo. The zoo would seem to compete with most zoo's in the States and we noticed that there were plenty of bathrooms and plenty of places to eat. Cafe's are interspersed throughout the zoo so if you want a coffee just wait a few minutes more. We did the whole experience in about two hours. It cost about $ 15 for our whole family to enter and we were allowed to bring in our lunch (drinks and sandwiches packed in a back pack sized bag).

Visited May 2012
Texas
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Rabat Zoo is Amazing”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2012

You forget what country you are in when you arrive at the new zoo in Rabat, Morocco. It is a world class zoo, and family friendly. You can easily navigate a baby stroller throughout the zoo. What is impressive is the large space and open feel. This is a brand new zoo only opened up a few months ago.

Visited March 2012