“Great place to stay”
Review of Riad L'Alcazar

Riad L'Alcazar
Ranked #12 of 49 Rabat B&B and Inns
Reviewed March 25, 2013

A well restored typical Moroccon guesthouse in the middle of the Old Town (Medina). My wife and I stayed for three nights in a very interesting room (suite) with three levels. Friendly staff, classical and interesting Moroccon decor. We had a great time in a great setting. The morning prayer and crowing cocks wakes one up at 5am, which is al part of the experience. Surely to be recommended to other travellers.

Breaksfast is served in the court yard and consists of juice, coffee some local baked breads and some eggs. There are some nice rooms to have meetings or dicussions around the courtyard in some privacy.

Please note the room we stayed in has very steep and dangerous stair cases (which is understandable due to the age of the guesthouse), but one should be very careful. However, a lift is installed to take guest to diffferent floors in the guesthouse.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
There are newer reviews for Riad L'Alcazar

Reviewed March 1, 2013

A narrow passage off of the busy street leads to a blue door that opens to a beautiful oasis from which to explore the city's wonders. Unlike some riads, you can take a cab directly to the property. The riad has been lovingly restored with an impeccable sense of both design and comfort. We started and ended our time in Morocco here, finding Rabat a great introduction to the culture and energy of the country.
We found the food and service to be wonderful. Breakfast was included with our room and our omelets were a welcome addition to the continental breakfast treats. We ate lunch away from the riad, but found the dinners exceptionally delicious, reasonably priced, and loved the respite of feeling at home after a very long day of exploring. The availability of a reasonably priced cabernet was also welcome. We truly appreciated the consideration and helpfulness of the owner, Anis, who was available each day to help with ideas to make our first time in Morocco memorable and to hear about our adventures. The staff are gracious and helpful. Stay here!

Room Tip: Our suite had a small private seating area on the roof terrace.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 18, 2013

My husband and I visited Morocco in January and stayed one magical night at L’Alcazar which is a boutique hotel riad in the heart of Rabat’s medina. Riads are old traditional family homes and this one has been renovated. L’Alcazar provides weary tourist with 5 star luxury and the intimacy of an exclusive resort. When we visited we had the good fortune of having most of the riad to ourselves as the hotel was half full, mostly business men given that it was low season for tourism! The service was excellent and we actually met the owners who proved to be friendly and helpful with our many questions related to tourism and culture. L’Alcazar is located in the old city’s centre and is very safe. The surrounding area has been modernized with new infrastructure and we were walking distance to tourist attractions. I highly recommend L’Alcazar, which blends historical Moroccan architecture with modern and luxurious finishings. If I dare say, we felt like sultans!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 11, 2013

HOTEL :
Gorgeous little riad, very well done. Nice little sitting areas and impressive terrace and courtyard. We were the only ones staying here so it was a bit creepy. Had a fairly cramped room, but beds and pillows were fantastic. Just had the one night here and left early morning. Service was good, but we have had better without the feeling the need to tip.

RESTAURANT :
We were exhausted after our taxi driver could not find the place initially. Decided to have dinner. I had a beef dish which was terrible, my wife had chicken "tagine", which despite being rustled up in about 45 mins was not bad. This was Moroccan cooking with some use of a microwave.
Desert was orange slices. Did not appreciate being charged 100 MAD for "salade Morocaine"(bread with some condiments)..even though we did not order it. They only had a 1/2 bottle of red wine in the whole place so we had that and a bottle of rose. Bill for wine, starters and oranges was over $100. Very poor value. Also, manager got me to pay for my bill and meal and then cancel the original 1000 MAD deposit she had taken off my CC. This I did midway through my wine. I suspect she wanted to go home.

DO NOT EAT HERE.

Overall a nice little hotel, but the restaurant soured the whole thing for me. We were their only customers the whole night.

Have given this place 2/5 but overall is a 2.5/5, not a 3.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
anis b, Owner at Riad L'Alcazar, responded to this reviewResponded February 13, 2013

Hello
we are very sorry for the experience it should not happen and will not happen again
A management change will occurs accordingly
the ryad as been build and furnished to give the best experience possible, the service can be chalenging some time and thats why we try to keep the room prices low ( the quality of all the components are Four season's standarts).
The micro wave is used to help keep the tajines hot, because we cooke them early ( it takes time)
Again all actions necessary will be taken

Reviewed November 21, 2012

I am a business traveller and discovering the alcazar was the best thing i made while arriving in Rabat, the staff is very professional, the style of the riad is truely unique with different decorations in each one of the 4 living rooms, breakfast is a treat! Not to mention that you will never want to leave the bed! I will certainly recommend this riad to every person i know coming to this city, its a must whether you're on a business trip, travelling solo or on a romantic getaway!

Sarah

Room Tip: They are all unique and all charmingly beautiful
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed October 9, 2012

Typical Moroccan ryad. Excellent setting, decoaration is at its finest. Staff and management were professional. Wonderful experience!
I definitely would come back and recommend this hotel for business or leisure.

• Stayed: October 2012
Reviewed April 21, 2012

L'alcazar is the type of hotel where you don't want to go out just because it's just too good!

I came to L'alcazar for a night in April 2012 and I ended up staying a week there. The rooms are well furbished, well finished and pretty Luxurious. I tried the twin, the double and the the "suite". While the 2 first ones are very good deals (the breakfast rocks, believe me!), the last one is very spacious and convenient.

The staff, the owners and everybody I had a chance to meet in the hotel was very helpful. The hotel master, Simon can properly arrange anything for you and their recommendations of restaurant outside the hotel were amazing (especially the Riad 10mn by foot from the hotel with a traditionnal restaurant, ask Simon!). The restaurant from L'Alcazar was also delicious, everything just rocks!

I cannot recommend any better standard so far in Morocco, this place is 'just' amazing! Take it as a once in life opportunity to have a stay in such a great atmosphere ;)

Last, this Riad is close to "les oudayas", a kind of secret garden with a very local loking cafe where you can enjoy a tea and sweets with one of the best view on Rabat / Sale sea side. Don't miss it either!!

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business