“Our Favorite Place to Eat in Rabat”
Review of La Menora

La Menora
Ranked #105 of 282 Restaurants in Rabat
Dining options: Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: La Menora is a restaurant situated the center of Rabat, in a "Spanish-Mauresque" villa, with an intimate and shadowed patio, where you can discover the flavours of moroccan-mediterranean cooked meals.La Menora est un restaurant situe au centre de Rabat, dans une villa au decor Hispano-Mauresque, avec un patio intime et ombrage, ou vous pourrez decouvrir les saveurs de la cuisine marocco-mediterraneenne.
Reviewed July 10, 2014

My sister tried out this restaurant because of all the great reviews and it did not disappoint. Absolutely delicious food and excellent service. I tried the lamb tangine and it was extremely tender and flavorful. My sister ordered the chicken with olives and lemons. Both were delicious, but I prefer the lamb. The servers were very attentive and we loved the atmosphere. The owner also checked on us to make sure our experience was excellent. The food was not overpriced at all for the quality and quantity we received. On top of the great food and service, the restaurant is in a good part of town and we were able to walk there easily from our hotel located near the British Embassy. Definitely try out this place if you are in Rabat. You won't be disappointed.

4  Thank travelholic86
There are newer reviews for La Menora

Reviewed January 27, 2014

I'm a little disconcerted that our dining experience at La Menora is so widely different from the other reviewers. We were the only diners during our entire meal which is in itself a telling sign that doesn't bode well on the culinary front, but we figured that it was mid-week and low tourist season. But our concerns were justified: my partner had steak that was dry, overcooked, and shriveled, and my brochettes de boeuf was only satisfactory, but the dessert (our favourite course of a meal) was a disaster! Unless there's an alternate recipe for fondant au chocolate, the one we were served was a plop of mushy, cold, uncooked dough with a trickle of chocolate lava in the middle. To add salt to our culinary wounds, we were charged for the assortment of small appetizers (olives, bread, pickled vegetables) which we did not order and are usually complimentary in other restaurants that we've been to in Rabat. The meal wasn't overly expensive per se but the money spent for this experience was an outrage. To top it off, the waiter made sure to point out that the bill does not include a service charge. In other words, please remember to tip even though you've already been gouged for a lousy dinner...

1  Thank skinny_linguini
Reviewed January 26, 2014 via mobile

At last, after a string of mediocre meals, we found a good restaurant in this city. It took a bit of research on Trip Advisor, but if you notice this is the restaurant with the best reviews left by people who regularly review places. A lot of other restaurants have stellar reviews by users who only seem to ever have reviewed that single place. Odd, right?

At any rate: important note. The Trip Advisor map puts this restaurant in the wrong place in Rabat. However, the published address is correct. So, make sure you look the address up before you go. Don't rely on the TA map. Fortunately, the wrong spot on the map and the correct street of the restaurant are a single tram stop away. Don't try to walk there from the medina, it's quite far. Cab it or take the tram.

The Moroccan owner (who speaks French and Spanish), is fantastically helpful. We left it to him to decide what we should eat. We had a starter of warm vegetables (beet root, peppers, aubergines) which was very good. Then we had both a lamb tagine and a veal ossobuco one which were outstanding. The former was full of intense spices and also had an egg in the middle. The latter was cooked with artichokes, lemon peels and green peas and was delicious (if slightly salty). We gulped it all down with two beers.

For desserts we shared a 'fruit confit' which was curious, unusual and good.

The ambiance is quite refined. Upmarket without being intimidating. A couple would find it romantic. We dined inside (it's January!), but another group enjoyed the terrace outside with one of those umbrella heaters. It wasn't particularly busy and the service was very attentive.

So far the best meal we've had in Rabat. At 500 Dhr it greatly surpassed in quality and service other better ranking places (on here) we've visited before.

1  Thank wisetravellerman
Reviewed November 5, 2013

Fine food, very nice atmosphere. But as the host of a small group of people, I found it extremely odd that the owner refused to make eye contact with me or speak to me at any point throughout the meal. He told others at the table of the daily specials, greeted them and checked in with them, but blatantly ignored me. Was it my breath? I assume he didn't think I spoke the various languages being used at the tables, but simple restaurant manners should dictate that he treat everyone at the table equally (or for the one with the wallet, perhaps more equally). I'll chalk this up as a one-time experience and give him the benefit of the doubt.

Reviewed September 15, 2013

The food is fine. The interior is beautiful.
Very good starters. I recommend the fried fish starters.

1  Thank CharlotteRLM