“Wedding guest”
Review of Riad Kalaa

Riad Kalaa
Ranked #6 of 45 Hotels in Rabat
Reviewed September 12, 2013

We stayed here for two nights in September as part of a wedding party.
We had previously spent (based on tripadvisor) 8 nights at other riad's and hotels around morocco as part of our main yearly holiday. This was by far the most expensive riad and unfortunately the most disappointing....

Reasons I was disappointed...(.mainly due to the money spent...)
1) There was no hot water on the evening of the wedding. Also there were no fresh towels in our room so my partner went down to reception in just my beach towel...
2) we had ants all over the bed and when we told the staff they simply brushed them off the bed and laughed. This didn't seem to be a problem to the staff that there were ants everywhere...!
3) staff, as the other comment below says, we're unwelcoming. Something I had not experienced anywhere else in morocco.
4) took ages to get a beer and the service at breakfast was slow and nonchalant..
5) we got allocated a suite which in my opinion was smaller than any other standard room we had in other cities. No door to bathroom which was annoying

I don't like writing this for one reason only. My friend got married here and the wedding itself was amazing. It didn't impact the day in my opinion but one thing I will say is that there are plenty more amazing and welcoming riad's around morocco which I will be writing about next...
Unfortunately this riad has just lost that all important customer service...

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Gemba78
Azuelos007, Guest Relations Manager at Riad Kalaa, responded to this reviewResponded September 18, 2013

Dear Guest,

I thank you very much for taking the time to write a comment.
We are very sorry that you did not enjoyed your stay in Riad Kalaa.
I have talked to the team to let them know your remarks.
Concerning the ants, we have cleaned your suite and changed the sheets.
Please, do not forget that we are a B&B and not a hotel. We run it as a house and it may take longer than in a hotel to have drinks. We always serve it to the guests.

I am pleased to read that you had a nice moment during the wedding.
We hope to welcome you again in Riad Kalaa

Reviewed September 10, 2013

We've stayed for 4 nights in one of the "Les chambres aux milles parfums" rooms and we had a very disappointing and stressful experience because:
1. the room we were is was dirty and it look like it has been very superficially cleaned for years and the dirt is just pilling up
2. there is no door between the bathroom and the room (no other comments)
3. the bathroom was very moldy and smelled of mold
4. the staff do not speak English at all and they are very dismissive of the guests
5. MOST IMPORTANT: it is very expensive for what you get

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Ana I

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review concerning your stay in Riad Kalaa.
I am very sorry that you did not enjoyed it. I will take one by one all your remarks and find a solution on them by working with the team.
Concerning the curtain between the bathroom and the room, this is part of the decoration.

We hope to see you again to show you that we have taken on consideration everything.

Reviewed September 4, 2013 via mobile

We spent one night in Riad Kalaa as a treat - the rooms are decorated amazingly and we had the best nights sleep by far. It us tucked away in the medina, easy walking to the souks, kasbeh and restaurants in the new town. Would certainly recommend

• Stayed: September 2013
Azuelos007, Guest Relations Manager at Riad Kalaa, responded to this reviewResponded September 14, 2013

Dear Guest,

We very much appreciate your comment regarding your stay at Riad Kalaa. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.
We hope to see you again at Riad Kalaa,

Reviewed September 3, 2013

The Riad is very nicely done. The food was amazing. The parking could be challenging since it takes few minutes from central parking. The rooms have over 20 feet ceiling decorated very well. The bathroom are adobe style sank bath . The kids loved the bath. The roof top pool has nice view. If you have kids make sure to call ahead for crib. The site manager was bit confused about kids. The other staff were very accommodating. Don't miss breakfast .

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family

Dear Guest,

I thank you for have choosen to stay in Riad Kalaa. All the team is happy to read that you enjoyed your stay.
Concerning the crib, in deed this is better to tell us in advance by phone or email so that we arrange it before your arrival.
We hope to see you again in Riad Kalaa,

Reviewed July 30, 2013

We have just left this hotel after 1 night (July 29 2013).
I cannot really say anything good apartfrom the quaint decor.
On arrival we were treated as an inconvenience rather than a guest by the reception staff.
Our room was on the top floor beside the pool. As we walked in the room smelt musty and the bathroom had a very distict smell of mould. The stairs leading up were narrow and steep.
The room layout was terrible. The "door" to the bathroom was a curtain.
There was no TV, mini-bar or telephone in the room.
Worst off all, there was no hot water when we showered at 6:30am.
We had to leave early to catch our train so went to breakfast at the 7am start time. No sraff arrived untill 7:15 so we had to leave without breakfast.
I would not recomend this hotel in any circumstance. We have stayed in better 2 star hotels in Europe.
We have stayed in 2 star hotels in France that are better than this.

Room Tip: Don't stay here.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
7  Thank Richard W
Azuelos007, Responsable relations clients at Riad Kalaa, responded to this reviewResponded July 31, 2013

Dear Guest,

I am very sorry to read that you did not enjoy your stay in Riad Kalaa.

As for all the check-in, to welcome our guests, we offered you drinks and someone taked your luggage to your room.
I am sorry that the smell in the room was not nice. We will check the channeling to see if there is a problem.
Concerning the decoration, there are no door between the bathroom and the room but a curtain. I am sorry that the travel agency do not show you some pictures about the room. This is not our fault. In the room booked for you, on of the 1000 perfums rooms, the travel agency knew that there are no TV, no mini-bar. In any of our room is a phone.
Concerning the hot water, I know that there was a problem but why did you not told us at the reception? Same concerning the breakfast. At the check-in, we told the guest that if they need breakfast before 7.30 am, they have to let us know to be sure that everything is ready.

Finally,, this is sad that you did not enjoy your stay.

Reviewed July 10, 2013

Deep in the city walls sits this riad. Like so many other Moroccan buildings, its plain exterior acts as a facade for its true heart: a beautiful central courtyard surrounded by rooms that are well appointed, though a but a bit of a study in beige. Having recently toured Morocco the rooms here feel a little forgettable and rather plain in comparison with others.
The rooftop pool is a bonus and a delightful place to plant yourself in the heat of the day.
Laetitia was a kind and friendly hostess who did a great job of ensuring that ours (we were a party of 7) was a happy stay. Aiysha also had a good and gently hospitable manner.
So...what went wrong? Well, it's just that the service from everyone else there felt very indifferent. All through Morocco we have been made to feel extra welcome and the level of hospitality we normally received was some of the best I have come across. Kalaa was the exception to the rule. Used towels peppered the pool area when we arrived and dirty lunchtime dishes remained on tables attracting flies. When we asked (more than once) for drinks and some fresh towels, the attendants were slow and really pretty unwelcoming. This more or less set the tone for our stay there.
Our meal in the Riad (we were celebrating a birthday) that night was good, but breakfast was very sweet (no savoury options) and instead of eating it in the lovely courtyard we were assigned to the airless dining room next to the noisy kitchen.
Had Kalaa been an inexpensive stay I wouldn't have minded at all, but we were paying top dollar (easily our most expensive in Morocco) only to stay in relatively plain (though spotless clean) rooms and to be made feel a bother by the team there. Shame to say, as Laetitia was so very helpful, but if I were to return to Rabat I wouldn't go back to Riad Kalaa.

Room Tip: No spa facilities on a Sunday
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank drewmqSydney
Azuelos007, Responsable relations clients at Riad Kalaa, responded to this reviewResponded August 9, 2013

I am sorry to read that you did not enjoyed your stay in Riad Kalaa.
Concerning the towel, I understand that your unpleasant feeling but our clothes dryer was out of work this week-end. This is under control now. We apologise.
Concerning the breakfast, we always serve sugared meal without savoury option. For breakfast, we serve yoghourt, tea or coffee, fresh orange juice, fruits, bread, 3 different crepes and dried fruits. On demand, we can prepare eggs.
Regards,

Reviewed July 5, 2013

I went with two of my best friends to a scientific meeting and stayed at this excellent Riad. We loved everything about it!. It is conveniently located in the North Corner of the beautiful Medina, where it is quiet and peaceful, yet close enough to the wall to walk for taxis (which are very inexpensive). Nevertheless, you are also close enough to walk to the more exotic, fun and overwhelmingly confusing maze of the busy market. The Riad's staff was excellent; helpful, courteous and friendly. The Riad itself is a gem, the rooms are beautifully decorated and there is a roof terrace and a great little swimming pool to relax in after a day in the market...I am already planning my next trip...Oh, I forgot, the breakfast is a plus...

Room Tip: Lower floor rooms seem larger, but are around the courtyard. Since every room has only one bed, if...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends

Thank you very much for this nice comment and for sharing good deals!