“Total lack of most things”
Review of Riad Kalaa

Riad Kalaa
Ranked #6 of 45 Hotels in Rabat
Reviewed July 30, 2013

We have just left this hotel after 1 night (July 29 2013).
I cannot really say anything good apartfrom the quaint decor.
On arrival we were treated as an inconvenience rather than a guest by the reception staff.
Our room was on the top floor beside the pool. As we walked in the room smelt musty and the bathroom had a very distict smell of mould. The stairs leading up were narrow and steep.
The room layout was terrible. The "door" to the bathroom was a curtain.
There was no TV, mini-bar or telephone in the room.
Worst off all, there was no hot water when we showered at 6:30am.
We had to leave early to catch our train so went to breakfast at the 7am start time. No sraff arrived untill 7:15 so we had to leave without breakfast.
I would not recomend this hotel in any circumstance. We have stayed in better 2 star hotels in Europe.
We have stayed in 2 star hotels in France that are better than this.

Room Tip: Don't stay here.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
7  Thank Richard W
Azuelos007, Responsable relations clients at Riad Kalaa, responded to this reviewResponded July 31, 2013

Dear Guest,

I am very sorry to read that you did not enjoy your stay in Riad Kalaa.

As for all the check-in, to welcome our guests, we offered you drinks and someone taked your luggage to your room.
I am sorry that the smell in the room was not nice. We will check the channeling to see if there is a problem.
Concerning the decoration, there are no door between the bathroom and the room but a curtain. I am sorry that the travel agency do not show you some pictures about the room. This is not our fault. In the room booked for you, on of the 1000 perfums rooms, the travel agency knew that there are no TV, no mini-bar. In any of our room is a phone.
Concerning the hot water, I know that there was a problem but why did you not told us at the reception? Same concerning the breakfast. At the check-in, we told the guest that if they need breakfast before 7.30 am, they have to let us know to be sure that everything is ready.

Finally,, this is sad that you did not enjoy your stay.

Reviewed July 10, 2013

Deep in the city walls sits this riad. Like so many other Moroccan buildings, its plain exterior acts as a facade for its true heart: a beautiful central courtyard surrounded by rooms that are well appointed, though a but a bit of a study in beige. Having recently toured Morocco the rooms here feel a little forgettable and rather plain in comparison with others.
The rooftop pool is a bonus and a delightful place to plant yourself in the heat of the day.
Laetitia was a kind and friendly hostess who did a great job of ensuring that ours (we were a party of 7) was a happy stay. Aiysha also had a good and gently hospitable manner.
So...what went wrong? Well, it's just that the service from everyone else there felt very indifferent. All through Morocco we have been made to feel extra welcome and the level of hospitality we normally received was some of the best I have come across. Kalaa was the exception to the rule. Used towels peppered the pool area when we arrived and dirty lunchtime dishes remained on tables attracting flies. When we asked (more than once) for drinks and some fresh towels, the attendants were slow and really pretty unwelcoming. This more or less set the tone for our stay there.
Our meal in the Riad (we were celebrating a birthday) that night was good, but breakfast was very sweet (no savoury options) and instead of eating it in the lovely courtyard we were assigned to the airless dining room next to the noisy kitchen.
Had Kalaa been an inexpensive stay I wouldn't have minded at all, but we were paying top dollar (easily our most expensive in Morocco) only to stay in relatively plain (though spotless clean) rooms and to be made feel a bother by the team there. Shame to say, as Laetitia was so very helpful, but if I were to return to Rabat I wouldn't go back to Riad Kalaa.

Room Tip: No spa facilities on a Sunday
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank drewmqSydney
Azuelos007, Responsable relations clients at Riad Kalaa, responded to this reviewResponded August 9, 2013

I am sorry to read that you did not enjoyed your stay in Riad Kalaa.
Concerning the towel, I understand that your unpleasant feeling but our clothes dryer was out of work this week-end. This is under control now. We apologise.
Concerning the breakfast, we always serve sugared meal without savoury option. For breakfast, we serve yoghourt, tea or coffee, fresh orange juice, fruits, bread, 3 different crepes and dried fruits. On demand, we can prepare eggs.
Regards,

Reviewed July 5, 2013

I went with two of my best friends to a scientific meeting and stayed at this excellent Riad. We loved everything about it!. It is conveniently located in the North Corner of the beautiful Medina, where it is quiet and peaceful, yet close enough to the wall to walk for taxis (which are very inexpensive). Nevertheless, you are also close enough to walk to the more exotic, fun and overwhelmingly confusing maze of the busy market. The Riad's staff was excellent; helpful, courteous and friendly. The Riad itself is a gem, the rooms are beautifully decorated and there is a roof terrace and a great little swimming pool to relax in after a day in the market...I am already planning my next trip...Oh, I forgot, the breakfast is a plus...

Room Tip: Lower floor rooms seem larger, but are around the courtyard. Since every room has only one bed, if...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends

Thank you very much for this nice comment and for sharing good deals!

Reviewed July 3, 2013

This Riad certainly deserves it high rankings. The staff are extremely polite, competetant, and efficient. The food is great. We stayed in one of the multi-level rooms with our two kids (4 yr and 18 month) and had plenty of space. The main terrace was so nice and relaxing we never discovered the roof top terrace and pool until it was too late.

Most everything was in walking distance, and if not was only a cheap taxi ride from the Riad (with the exception if you fly into Casablanca vs Rabat, which was a $70 1.5 hr vs $25 20 min taxi ride).

I do a lot of business travel, and this certainly would be appropriate for business travel. If you staye in atraditional hotel, you would miss out on an opportunity for a great "authentic" experience.

• Stayed: June 2013

I thank you for your nice comment and all the details you gave that could be useful to future guests.
We hope to welcome you again.

Reviewed July 2, 2013

Very beautifully decorated with a lovely courtyard to relax and eat in. Our suite, opening to the courtyard, was perfect and cozy with a lovely sitting area and a gorgeous spacious bathroom with a double tub. The food was delicious. This was our first night in Morocco, and it was a wonderful introduction. The upstairs patio has an incredible view out over the city , plus a small pool. We were thrilled with everything.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple

I thank you for taking the time to write a comment about your stay in Riad Kalaa. We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay.

Reviewed June 20, 2013

The Riad Kalaa is perfection wrapped up in the walls of Rabat's old medina. Even before arriving, I was impressed by the helpful quick responses from the staff to my endless array of questions. Upon arriving I was immediately welcomed with fresh squeezed orange juice (yum!). Instead of having to stand around and wait to register and my room - I was able to relax in the beautifully appointed courtyard. My room was nicely arranging - filled with fresh fruit, water and a variety of drinks. Breakfast each morning was delicious with a variety of breads and other typical Moroccan dishes - and always some fresh orange juice and good coffee. I had the chance to eat dinner one night in the Riad and the food was excellent including the wine. There was always a staff member around (even late into the evening) to take care of any needs including a late night snack. My only regret was not taking advantage of the wonderful upstairs terrace while I was there.

I highly recommend the Riad Kalaa. Beyond the great accommodations, the staff (especially Laetitia) were always willing to help with my many many questions. Thank you for providing a wonderful oasis while visiting Rabat.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
Azuelos007, Responsable relations clients at Riad Kalaa, responded to this reviewResponded July 2, 2013

A big thank you for this comment! All the team is really glad to read that you enjoyed your stay with us. We try to answer to all the request of the guests to ensure a nice and relax stay for them.
Thank you again for your comment.

Reviewed June 16, 2013 via mobile

What a serene and beautiful oasis amongst the hustle and bustle of Rabat. We stayed in the Riad for 4 days and every need was taken care of within an instant and always with a smile. The staff are professional yet incredibly helpful and willing to go the extra mile to assist. The welcome at the Riad was accompanied by a refreshing glass of mint tea (has to be tried) and a quick look at a map with the best places to visit clearly highlighted. Breakfast was amazing and can be eaten either in the tranquil courtyard or up on the roof tops. Simply the best place to stay and experience the real Morocco.

• Stayed: May 2013

Thank you very much for taking the time to write your feeling about your stay in Riad Kalaa. We are really happy to read that you keep nice memory of your stay. We really take care of our guest.
Your remarks will really help the people who will pass by the page.
Thanks again,